Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This needs to be Howland's last year

vCash

This needs to be Howland's last year

Absolutely terrible showing today. You want to know why no one shows up to games? Games like today are the reason why.

I have accepted the fact that Howland is not an offensive coach - but defense is supposedly his specialty. Still, our defense is not that good. No adjustments whatsoever.

He can get talent but he can't coach the talent he has. This team will not make the tourney.

Pack your bags Howland. I'm ready for someone else.

vCash
    We just have to decide if going around .500 in the SEC and usually being a Bubble Out team, but maybe getting in the NCAA Tournament a little bit, and not having off-the-court drama and program embarrassments, is good enough for us.

If we go to coaching roulette, it can get a lot worse, like it did in 2012. Or maybe we can strike it rich.

vCash
    I don?t follow basketball closely, so please excuse my ignorance, but do coaching affiliation with Brands- Nike, Adidas, etc- play into our ability to bring in different coaches?

vCash
    Had 6 tickets and didn't go. How the game went is exactly what I expected. Getting paid $$$$ to coast into retirement.

vCash
    Do we let him go during the season and see if Brooks can coach

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    Do we let him go during the season and see if Brooks can coach
    That would take big balls from Cohen and others. I wouldn't mind at this point. See if any one on staff can interject some enthusiasm immediately. I'm to the point where sub .500 with less talent playing smart and hard than this strip tease show howland's been flaunting.

vCash
    I'm not saying keep Howland but the list of who we could get to replace him would not be impressive. I don't think our job is very attractive to coaches. It's depressing because I love it when we are good at basketball.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Sometimes, you wonder why we never switch to zone 2-3 or 1-3-1 would slow teams down on the offensive side while they adjust. No idea why we don't switch it back and forth throughout the game. Let our team catch their breaths.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Having been at MSU during the early '90's when Richard Williams had the place rocking with Mississippi kids and standard near sellouts, I can't even stand to watch these days. There were more students at Williams' open practices than fans in the Hump these days. We beat Shaq and LSU 6 straight with noone on the court over 6'7" tall. It's called coaching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    I don?t follow basketball closely, so please excuse my ignorance, but do coaching affiliation with Brands- Nike, Adidas, etc- play into our ability to bring in different coaches?
    Yes...our affiliation with Adidas is what got Howland here. Also, the shoe companies have big time influence in AAU ball which translates into big influence in recruiting.

vCash
    People have other things to do.

Our fans are ridiculous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    Having been at MSU during the early '90's when Richard Williams had the place rocking with Mississippi kids and standard near sellouts, I can't even stand to watch these days. There were more students at Williams' open practices than fans in the Hump these days. We beat Shaq and LSU 6 straight with noone on the court over 6'7" tall. It's called coaching.
    Williams thru 6 seasons: 105-103, 2 postseason (1 nit - 2nd round, 1 ncaa - 1st round)

Howland thru 6 seasons: 116-82, 3 postseason* (2 Nit - nit semi-final, nit final, 1 ncaa - 1st round)

*would be at least another NIT, but postseason canceled

Williams went 13-16 (5-11 sec) in year 7.

Most of ED would be calling for Williams to be fired after year 7.
    Last edited by msstate7; 12-05-2021 at 08:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Williams thru 6 seasons: 105-103, 2 postseason (1 nit - 2nd round, 1 ncaa - 1st round)

Howland thru 6 seasons: 116-82, 3 postseason* (2 Nit - nit semi-final, nit final, 1 ncaa - 1st round)

*would be at least another NIT, but postseason canceled

Williams went 13-16 (5-11 sec) in year 7.

You would be calling for Williams to be fired after year 7.
    ****ing stupid fans. That Minnesota team is clearly very good.

Let the team get deeper in the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post

They may be great, but we were 12 pt. favorites at home.

vCash
    It's just not a very good product. From the coaching, play on the court, atmosphere, fans etc. it's been consistently disappointing for so long now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post

We've played 2 teams with a pulse and lost both.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Sometimes, you wonder why we never switch to zone 2-3 or 1-3-1 would slow teams down on the offensive side while they adjust. No idea why we don't switch it back and forth throughout the game. Let our team catch their breaths.
    You are joking right? Howland never changes anything. He plays man-to-man defense and man-to-man only, even if the other team is eating that defense alive. Bet he hasn't played more than 5 minutes of zone defense in his entire coaching tenure at MSU. We play the exact same way against every opponent in all aspects for better or worse. We have to be one of the easiest teams to prepare for in all of college basketball.

vCash
    Lol. Comparing Richard Williams and the 90’s to Ben Howland and the current state of our basketball program is a complete joke.
    Last edited by Dawsonmsu; 12-05-2021 at 09:47 PM.

vCash
    Howland is the football equivalent of a team running the Airbone and a 4-2-5 every play on D with no blitzes
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawsonmsu View Post
    Lol. Comparing Richard Williams and the 90’s to Ben Howland and the current state of our basketball program is a complete joke.
    1st year Williams took over we were so bad we lost to Delta State. Bob Boyd recruited over the telephone.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is