Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Panthers Fire Joe Brady

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Why would he go there? Oregon, Auburn, and obviously LSU are looking among others and Brady has some ties to Oregon by being in the Moorhead tree and obviously he coached at LSU. May even get another NFL job as an assistant at worst. It's not like failing in the NFL makes you a leper.
    Could also be Moorhead OC though I'm sure there are much better jobs out there. Maybe his safety net but doubt he falls that far. Would be interesting to see what might have been.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Why? He isn't the brains behind it.... he got way too much credit but kudos to him he made the most of it.
    I think he's a good, young coach. He's still only 32. It's Sean's offense, and always will be, but I think good offensive coaches to help Sean out some

vCash
    I've always wondered how much of that offense was Brady and how much of it was Ensminger. Well, most of it was Burrow and company making plays which we agree on. The way it sounded to me was Brady was like a RPO contributor and they basically kind of married that to a collegiate version of Sean Payton's offense. I'm not sure that they really ran that many RPO's a game really though. Probably only 10-20%.
    I'll tell you this - a friend of mine played QB for Ensminger at UGA. I saw him at GA/FL in '19 and we ended up talking about Burrow. He said hands down that Ensminger was the best coach he ever had and was the difference in him being an SEC QB and being a great SEC QB and getting drafted. Said he had no doubt in his mind that Ensminger made an impact on Burrow.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    I've always wondered how much of that offense was Brady and how much of it was Ensminger. Well, most of it was Burrow and company making plays which we agree on. The way it sounded to me was Brady was like a RPO contributor and they basically kind of married that to a collegiate version of Sean Payton's offense. I'm not sure that they really ran that many RPO's a game really though. Probably only 10-20%.
    Ensminger had brady, chase, Jefferson, and CEH in 2018, and lsu finished 9th in the sec (69th nationally) in total offense. In 2019, they finished #1 in conf and nationally. I'm not sure how you can't give some credit to joe brady.

vCash
    All the OM trolls on Twitter think they're gonna get Brady.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Ensminger had brady, chase, Jefferson, and CEH in 2018, and lsu finished 9th in the sec (69th nationally) in total offense. In 2019, they finished #1 in conf and nationally. I'm not sure how you can't give some credit to joe brady.
    He didn't say that Brady shouldn't get some credit, just that Ensminger was likely important as well. In '18 CEH & Jefferson were just Sophomores, Chase was a Freshman, and Burrow new to the program. I can see that extra year in the system making a difference, in addition to the apparent synergy that Ensminger and Brady had together combined with a ridiculous amount of NFL talent that was maturing and ready to make the next step.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    He didn't say that Brady shouldn't get some credit, just that Ensminger was likely important as well. In '18 CEH & Jefferson were just Sophomores, Chase was a Freshman, and Burrow new to the program. I can see that extra year in the system making a difference, in addition to the apparent synergy that Ensminger and Brady had together combined with a ridiculous amount of NFL talent that was maturing and ready to make the next step.
    2018: 59% run heavy
    2019: 52% pass heavy

That's an 11% change, pretty significant.

Burrow passer rating in 2018: 133.21
    Burrow passer rating in 2019: 201.96

That's not a normal jump. Do you remember burrow in 2018? He did not look good at all. In 1 year, he looked as good as a college qb as I've saw. I think you have to give brady a ton of credit for that transformation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Well they swear now that lebby is staying

vCash
    2018: 59% run heavy
    2019: 52% pass heavy

That's an 11% change, pretty significant.

Burrow passer rating in 2018: 133.21
    Burrow passer rating in 2019: 201.96

That's not a normal jump. Do you remember burrow in 2018? He did not look good at all. In 1 year, he looked as good as a college qb as I've saw. I think you have to give brady a ton of credit for that transformation.
    Again - no one is arguing that Brady doesn't deserve credit - but there is a whole helluva lot more to the development then just Joe Brady. Burrow had 39 career attempts prior to coming to LSU, so a) I'm not surprised at all that he made a big jump from JR. to SR. year, and b) he was also a Graduate player essentially getting his Masters in QB, which we all know can make a huge difference in QB development. And all indications are Burrow and the offense worked their asses off between seasons (when coaching has limited impact). Again, his key players also had another year of work and maturity in the system. And - this is an important piece - the LSU coaches recognized the talent they had in place and made a conscious decision to tailor an offense around it and bring in someone who could help them do it. They also had 14 NFL players drafted that year - 5 of whom are NFL starters on offense (plus 3 more WR drafted in '21)

LSU caught a perfect storm of talent, experience, and coaching that season and to discount any one of those elements as less important than the other is disingenuous. That team was not just about Joe Brady
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Again - no one is arguing that Brady doesn't deserve credit - but there is a whole helluva lot more to the development then just Joe Brady. Burrow had 39 career attempts prior to coming to LSU, so a) I'm not surprised at all that he made a big jump from JR. to SR. year, and b) he was also a Graduate player essentially getting his Masters in QB, which we all know can make a huge difference in QB development. And all indications are Burrow and the offense worked their asses off between seasons (when coaching has limited impact). Again, his key players also had another year of work and maturity in the system. And - this is an important piece - the LSU coaches recognized the talent they had in place and made a conscious decision to tailor an offense around it and bring in someone who could help them do it. They also had 14 NFL players drafted that year - 5 of whom are NFL starters on offense (plus 3 more WR drafted in '21)

LSU caught a perfect storm of talent, experience, and coaching that season and to discount any one of those elements as less important than the other is disingenuous. That team was not just about Joe Brady
    It was obviously a combo of both. Ensminger coaching and adding some Brady concepts- along with the players being extremely talented and having another year of experience. Players get better with time and experience. 2015 Dak was a helluva lot better than 2012 Dak. Rogers last half of the season in 2020 vs Rogers last half of the season 2021. Fans too often get caught up thinking all of these great players are great as Freshmen when in actuality they arent.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Here's a good article on the transformation from '18 to '19.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-foo...to-unstoppable

"The LSU program underwent a change in offensive philosophy before the start of 2019 by bringing in the former New Orleans Saints offensive assistant, Joe Brady, to be the new passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach. In his move from New Orleans to Baton Rouge, Brady brought with him the spread offense with West Coast offense roots ? something drastically different from what they were accustomed to. It ultimately paid massive dividends, as they jumped from 53rd in expected points added per play in 2018 to first in 2019 (also known as EPA, expected points added puts yards gained on a play into context like down, distance and field position to give the best measure of per-play efficiency)."

"Brady and offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger put a heavy emphasis on increasing their run-pass option (RPO) from 11.5% in 2018 (over 7% below average) to 22.1% in 2019 (half a percent above average)."

"From last year to this year, LSU?s usage of 11 personnel has increased by nearly 20%, and they've virtually eliminated plays from 10 personnel (10% to 0%) and 21 personnel (22% to .6%) packages. Additionally, Brady and company have nearly wiped out any plays under center this season. Last year, 33% of the Tigers? plays were executed in non-shotgun formations. This year, just over 3% of their plays have not been in shotgun."

"Last year, the Tigers had over 300 dropbacks on which they had six or more pass-blockers, but they lowered that number to just 89 in 2019. Brady hit the nail on the head here. Not only does LSU bring in more EPA per play with five or fewer pass-blockers compared to plays with six or more, but they are allowing a pressure rate that?s 6% less with five pass-blockers."

Brady's fingerprints are all over the transformation.

vCash
    And for the record, I never said brady was fully responsible. I said he's a good coach, and that I want him back in New Orleans, and I stand by that.

If brady comes back to college, I expect him to show he's good. I doubt seriously he has a 2019 offense, but he'll get a lot out of what he has.

vCash
    As of now I'd say either charlie weis Jr or graham harrell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    As of now I'd say either charlie weis Jr or graham harrell
    I coulda sworn I saw Harrell up for possible OC somewhere else.

vCash
    Cristobal just told some folks he's going after Brady to be his OC at Miami.

vCash
    He probably just wasn't ready for the NFL gig. Its hard to command respect in the NFL when you are 30 years old as a coach. He doesn't have a ton of experience either so I suspect Rhule was observing things he didn't like overall and not just results on the field.

vCash
    And for the record, I never said brady was fully responsible. I said he's a good coach, and that I want him back in New Orleans, and I stand by that.

If brady comes back to college, I expect him to show he's good. I doubt seriously he has a 2019 offense, but he'll get a lot out of what he has.
    I do think Brady is talented, but was maybe not ready for prime time.

Or - just to give you shit - like JoeMo at PSU, he benefited greatly from having NFL ready talent at his disposal at the college level. I'm pretty sure you pointed out the talent level at PSU many times while we were witnessing the discombobulated SloMo offense at MSU as being the whole reason the SloMo offense had been effective at PSU. I'm not sure Carolina has NFL ready talent.
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    I coulda sworn I saw Harrell up for possible OC somewhere else.
    There was a rumor at one point he was coming here to be with Leach as an”Coach in waiting”….

vCash
    It?s being reported that Brady has a strong relationship with Caleb Williams and OU is pushing to have him pursued for OC to keep him out of the transfer portal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    It?s being reported that Brady has a strong relationship with Caleb Williams and OU is pushing to have him pursued for OC to keep him out of the transfer portal.
    No idea how venables will work out, but brady and him seem like a really good combo