Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IYOK, what's the story on Cam East decommitting?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HaggardDawg View Post
    It is much better strategy to sign a slightly less talented player in December then sign no player for that position in February because one of our ?commits? wanted to enjoy the process. I like this policy.
    I think you can save a couple of spots for guys like East. If they end up not signing, you still have the portal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beerfarley View Post
    I don't understand why anyone would want to be at the whims of a high school kid.
    I mean, welcome to big boy recruiting. I'm glad you weren't in charge of signing Chris Jones.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    . And I can understand that. He may treat the situation a little different if he hadn't committed but wanted to wait till Feb. When East did what he did( commit but not sign) that just sounds like you are keeping us as a fallback plan while really looking for a " better option" in his opinion. I don't think I would put up with that either. I could respect him more if just never committed and explored all options and chose a school in Feb.
    Strange to think we might have had a better chance to sign him if he hadn't committed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I mean, welcome to big boy recruiting. I'm glad you weren't in charge of signing Chris Jones.
    That's when I quit living anf breathing recruiting. I probably lost 3 years off my life stressing Jones

Senior Member Vandownbytheriver's Avatar
    vCash
    I was writing for recruiting websites then. That's part of the reason I don't do it any longer. They are unbeatable.

vCash
    How many can State sign this year? 25, I assume. We have 15 commits right now per 247. So if Leach's policy is he only signs commits, then he is going to be short a number of guys in EP.

Hopefully State is allowing the kid to look around and Leach and company will continue to put the full court press on him. Because a 6-7 OT aren't easy to find.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    How many can State sign this year? 25, I assume. We have 15 commits right now per 247. So if Leach's policy is he only signs commits, then he is going to be short a number of guys in EP.

Hopefully State is allowing the kid to look around and Leach and company will continue to put the full court press on him. Because a 6-7 OT aren't easy to find.
    Gonna hit the transfer portal too.

vCash
    We aren't gonna replace East with a real high school LT prospect. That was just a loss. I don't blame Leach though, we weren't getting East either way.

vCash
    I can answer this. It’s clear we were being kept warm as a fall back plan for Cam (and strong hints he was going to be a flipmas guy) once it was clear he was going to string us along our program said we are going to open up your spot. I’m fine with that. Good luck to him.

vCash
    Strange to think we might have had a better chance to sign him if he hadn't committed.
    Well he decided to play the recruiting game and that just doesn't seem to sit well with Leach. I think Leach would have more respect for the player if he just didn't commit say he was very interested and go from there. I believe commitment to Leach and these kids may have a little different meaning(and me for that matter). I certainly don't believe Leach likes being a placeholder for a "committed" player only to get possibly spurned if a better "opportunity" comes along.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I can answer this. It’s clear we were being kept warm as a fall back plan for Cam (and strong hints he was going to be a flipmas guy) once it was clear he was going to string us along our program said we are going to open up your spot. I’m fine with that. Good luck to him.
    If he signs with OM in Dec we will definitely know the truth. Seems Leach knows when to cut bait and say screw it to these recruiting shenanigans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Gonna hit the transfer portal too.
    We gonna have a good many hit the portal too.

vCash
    I?d be curious to see the statistics on whether early signees are more likely to stay with a program longer. The early signing period is too young to know that know, though.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Well he decided to play the recruiting game and that just doesn't seem to sit well with Leach. I think Leach would have more respect for the player if he just didn't commit say he was very interested and go from there. I believe commitment to Leach and these kids may have a little different meaning(and me for that matter). I certainly don't believe Leach likes being a placeholder for a "committed" player only to get possibly spurned if a better "opportunity" comes along.
    Let's not play the our staff know the meaning of commitment game. ESP when we've dropped 4-5 kids just this cycle who have been loyal to MSU & played no games.

vCash
    If he signs with OM in Dec we will definitely know the truth. Seems Leach knows when to cut bait and say screw it to these recruiting shenanigans.
    He's not signing in December

vCash
    Will we send him papers in Dec and take his sig if he signs?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Percho View Post
    Will we send him papers in Dec and take his sig if he signs?
    For better or worse we've moved on

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Thank you Dawgology. That's exactly what I was going to say. And I think what you said can be applied to several situations. Coaches know who's playing "games" and who's not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DLGDawg View Post
    Thank you Dawgology. That's exactly what I was going to say. And I think what you said can be applied to several situations. Coaches know who's playing "games" and who's not.
    And Leach isn't one to play games with!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Let's not play the our staff know the meaning of commitment game. ESP when we've dropped 4-5 kids just this cycle who have been loyal to MSU & played no games.
    Those guys have zero to do with what we are talking about. Those guys may have wanted to come to State but either their SR film didn't stack up and proved to not be SEC material. I don't know every in and out of each one there situation, but if guys are asked to moved on there is a reason for it. Cam East is totally different. He's keeping us as a backup now, and maybe others are not good enough. Don't know why you even bring them up.

Edit: I do realize what you saying now. But if we are upfront with those guys and tell them they have regressed and went backwards or they didn't improve enough over there senior year, there is no need than them coming here and sitting the bench and transferring later because they can't get on the field.
    Last edited by Bdawg; 12-04-2021 at 07:44 PM.