Thread: Give us Liberty and ribs..

vCash

Give us Liberty and ribs..

and Texas Tech.

vCash
    Maybe it's because I'm in Memphis but I have no desire to go to the Liberty Bowl (again). It's just such a dump.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    Maybe it's because I'm in Memphis but I have no desire to go to the Liberty Bowl (again). It's just such a dump.
    The locale is not that exciting but the prospect of pitting Leach vs Texas Tech is tantalizing. Probably the most unique and highest interest matchup we could have.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkerhill View Post
    The locale is not that exciting but the prospect of pitting Leach vs Texas Tech is tantalizing. Probably the most unique and highest interest matchup we could have.
    Wouldn't that be something?

vCash
    Why? I don't see it. He's been gone from there for awhile. Most Tech fans still love him. It's kinda boring playing a .500 team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Why? I don't see it. He's been gone from there for awhile. Most Tech fans still love him. It's kinda boring playing a .500 team.
    He obviously still harbors bitterness towards their university and administration, and he has written in his books about that as well as sued them. I think he would want to win badly, which would make for some pretty entertaining interviews. Bowl games are strange because often they pit unfamiliar programs against each other in a neutral venue - not much rivalry or drama in some cases. This one would have a little more flavor than that.

He carried their program to its highest peak, then was cast aside, and now would be meeting again. Would it be the first time he met TT as an opponent?

vCash
    Liberty bowl is terrible.

vCash
    Yep, some of the higher paying bowls are in older outdated stadiums. Birmingham is the lowest bowl in the pecking order, yet will be in a brand new downtown stadium. To me Birmingham has more centrally located areas for entertainment than Memphis, albeit the best are downtown in a 40 block area.

vCash
    He obviously still harbors bitterness towards their university and administration, and he has written in his books about that as well as sued them. I think he would want to win badly, which would make for some pretty entertaining interviews. Bowl games are strange because often they pit unfamiliar programs against each other in a neutral venue - not much rivalry or drama in some cases. This one would have a little more flavor than that.

He carried their program to its highest peak, then was cast aside, and now would be meeting again. Would it be the first time he met TT as an opponent?
    I want to beat the best team. I just don't care about a supposed feud with our coach. It's just to try to drum up interest for a bowl game nobody wants to go to.

vCash
    So should we want the Texas Bowl because it is the Tallest midget of the leftover SEC bowls on a date that maybe 1000 State fans show up? Also 10 hours for most fans.

Or the Gator Bowl, 10 hours from most State fans. Or Charlotte, 9 hours for most fans?

We had our chances to move up and blew it 3 times this year. 7-5 may be better than most thought but it gives us limited choices in bowl destinations, 3 of which are fan undesirable and 3 which are travel impositions.

vCash
    I agree Captain.

Everyone has different situations and opinions. As for me, I think the Liberty bowl is a fine facility and bowl compared the 2nd tier bowls. More importantly it is an easy drive for me and family. I'll go to the Liberty bowl.

vCash
    I just want to win 1 more game. It'd be nice to end with a win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    I just want to win 1 more game. It'd be nice to end with a win.
    This is the most important thing. 8 wins sounds great.

Senior Member Vandownbytheriver's Avatar
    vCash
    I went to the Memphis game this year. The stadium itself isn't bad. Decent enough concessions and there really isn't a bad view. My issues were with the Memphis fans themselves. Same as when we played UCF. Those folks are unbearable. Some of the worst fans I've ever been around in my life. Those group of 6 fans have massive inferiority complexes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beerfarley View Post
    I went to the Memphis game this year. The stadium itself isn't bad. Decent enough concessions and there really isn't a bad view. My issues were with the Memphis fans themselves. Same as when we played UCF. Those folks are unbearable. Some of the worst fans I've ever been around in my life. Those group of 6 fans have massive inferiority complexes.
    Agree with this WRT the UCF fans. They were a 10 win team that year and they thought they would coast against us. After listening to hours of cowbells and putting up an impressive 3 points, they decided to make collective asses of themselves

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    So should we want the Texas Bowl because it is the Tallest midget of the leftover SEC bowls on a date that maybe 1000 State fans show up? Also 10 hours for most fans.

Or the Gator Bowl, 10 hours from most State fans. Or Charlotte, 9 hours for most fans?

We had our chances to move up and blew it 3 times this year. 7-5 may be better than most thought but it gives us limited choices in bowl destinations, 3 of which are fan undesirable and 3 which are travel impositions.

The people hand wringing about the Texas bowl of all places I just don’t get. They have to live there or something. That bowl is marginally better than the Liberty bowl and no one would go to it because of the date. Some people have built that mediocre bowl into the Rose bowl for some reason. It’s just another shitty little bowl that no one cares about on a shitty date when no one when show up.