Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With Riley out, and OU moving to the SEC....

vCash

With Riley out, and OU moving to the SEC....

Is OU about to be the next Nebraska?

Now that they will no longer be the big dog on the porch in their conference, I could see the allure being diminished greatly. Add to it the fact that they will likely have a bumpy few years with a new coach as they join the toughest conference in football...and that program may never be the same again. Am I crazy for thinking Riley bolting at this exact time, could be the perfect storm that knocks OU from the "elite" category forever?

vCash
    It definitely could put a damper on the boomer sooner.

vCash
    Gotta give Riley credit, he is fox smart.

vCash
    It certainly could knock them down. UT I think even more so. I don’t understand how Texas can make such awful decisions. They have got more money than the federal reserve. Just go hire a top level, proven coach......how freaking hard is that when money is no object. Just pay me fifty grand and I will act as a hiring consultant. I guarantee I could make a better hire than they have done for years and years.

vCash
    Oklahoma has so much recent QB success and general success recruiting Texas. I don't think it's really that comparable to Nebraska. It's not nearly as remote and cold. They will take a step back simply because of the most beastly conference ever created.

vCash
    What they do have is resources they might take a step back but far from irrelevant. Riley made the smart move though, he can recruit within 100 miles and get all the talent he needs and plenty of $$$$ to work with.

Banned
    vCash
    Considering Riley had emphasized West Coast recruiting in the 2022 / 2023 Recruiting classes for OU. Yea, he just cut em deep. I've heard 5 de-commits today alone. Either announced or soon to be. More to follow.

OU already looked to come in as an Auburn / LSU level program. They better be careful not to find themselves in Tennessee territory.

vCash
    My opinion....OU and UT are both in for a rude awakening.

vCash
    Just saw Matt Campbells name mentioned for the OU job. That’s the best fit for OU I’ve seen yet.

vCash
    Even diehard OU fans are very pessimistic right now. There is a reason they haven't been picking on Texas while they were down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Even diehard OU fans are very pessimistic right now. There is a reason they haven't been picking on Texas while they were down.
    This is a huge hire for them upon entering the sec. I think Matt Campbell fits their culture and program, so would Stoops. Their fan base doesn’t really want Stoops though. I think if Stoops can recruit and win at UK, he would do pretty darned good at a school like OU. Campbell is a very good coach as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    Just saw Matt Campbells name mentioned for the OU job. That’s the best fit for OU I’ve seen yet.
    Just saw a tweet that OU is throwing a blank checkbook at Kingsbury. Next year is the last year of his NFL contract. He?s supposedly target numero uno.

vCash
    This is a huge hire for them upon entering the sec. I think Matt Campbell fits their culture and program, so would Stoops. Their fan base doesn’t really want Stoops though. I think if Stoops can recruit and win at UK, he would do pretty darned good at a school like OU. Campbell is a very good coach as well.
    Speaking of Stoops there?s a rumor that he told the UK AD he needed X amount of money for recruiting and an indoor practice facility that was for football only. Depending on what the AD decides about this request decides the future of Stoops at UK.

vCash
    Kingsbury really was bad at Texas tech then found success in the nfl. I dunno. Tech fans love him as a former player/leach q b, but don’t think he has what it takes to lead a college program.

They say he’s an OC not a HC

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    This is a huge hire for them upon entering the sec. I think Matt Campbell fits their culture and program, so would Stoops. Their fan base doesn?t really want Stoops though. I think if Stoops can recruit and win at UK, he would do pretty darned good at a school like OU. Campbell is a very good coach as well.
    OU would be smart to bring in a SEC guy with a recruiting footprint outside of their normal footprint. Stoops would provide that and has a proven track record.

Either way the next few days will be interesting and it is fun to watch knowing we will not be a part of it. Grab your Pappys and Popcorn. Ok maybe your Blantons or EH Taylor, but Pappy starts with a P.

vCash
    Just rumors, but Iowa board is talking about hints Campbell is gone from ISU. U Washington job is still open.

I also don’t think it’s beyond possibilities that OU comes to talk to Leach if their first few choices don’t work out. OU wanting Kingsbury means they want to maintain their version of the air raid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Is OU about to be the next Nebraska?

Now that they will no longer be the big dog on the porch in their conference, I could see the allure being diminished greatly. Add to it the fact that they will likely have a bumpy few years with a new coach as they join the toughest conference in football...and that program may never be the same again. Am I crazy for thinking Riley bolting at this exact time, could be the perfect storm that knocks OU from the "elite" category forever?
    Well ole Barry Switzer is stumping for Leach

vCash
    They want Kingsbury bad, but Heupels name is gonna be on that list somewhere too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    They want Kingsbury bad, but Heupels name is gonna be on that list somewhere too.
    Those make sense with the personnel they have on hand, the move to Stoops or Campbell will require some retooling of the offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandjunky View Post
    Well ole Barry Switzer is stumping for Leach
    I would be pretty surprised if they came after leach