Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tweet: Lincoln Riley Didn't Want OK In The SEC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Les Miles is not a moron. Les Miles refused to change his offense to modern times. While you can question how smart that is, it's a very common trait among veteran coaches.
    I'm sorry, any coach that tried to call a timeout after his team intercepted a pass, is a moron.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    If it did, its the smartest thing he has done all season.

Volunteering to go from the Big XII to the SEC is like asking to switch from fighting Jake Paul to Canelo. The payday may be higher, but holy hell you are gonna get beat up.

Just ask Jimbo how much he is liking the SEC. He has a 34-14 record. CDM just got fired after going 34-15. So yeah, enjoy the West coast and having to play one or two tough games a season. Its the smart move. Its why Kiffin bolts for Miami if that job comes open.
    This. Riley saw the writing on the wall, and did what was best. IMO OU and Texas are going to go through a few coaches until they can hit their stride in the SEC. Why do that when you can play an easy Pac 12 schedule and dominate the recruiting in that area?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ImissCityBagel View Post
    This. Riley saw the writing on the wall, and did what was best. IMO OU and Texas are going to go through a few coaches until they can hit their stride in the SEC. Why do that when you can play an easy Pac 12 schedule and dominate the recruiting in that area?
    It was good enough for Bobby Bowden. He was adamantly against FSU coming into the SEC back in the day so they obliged him and went to the ACC. Would Bowden have left if FSU had gone to the SEC in spite of what he wanted? Guess we will never know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    It was good enough for Bobby Bowden. He was adamantly against FSU coming into the SEC back in the day so they obliged him and went to the ACC. Would Bowden have left if FSU had gone to the SEC in spite of what he wanted? Guess we will never know.
    Seems like a dumb decision by Bowden more than a competitive decision. The sec wasn't all that great mid-80s to 1990. FSU joined acc in 1990

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    He left Miami bc the DA doctors at Miami failed brees in spite of him pushing for drew. In college, he makes all the decisions so his fate is in his hands.

As a saints fan, good job, dolphin doctors
    Dear god you are insufferable when you are wrong.

Saban has admitted on more than one occasion that he left Miami because he didn't like that he could only add one impact player a year and that he couldn't create the talent advantage that he needs to dominate. He has said on multiple occasions both publically and privately that being at Bama has allowed him to sign 10 first rounders every year and not just one through the draft.

He didn't want to simply have to compete with other coaches, he wanted the the talent advantage that Bama could give him. Apparently he didn't want to compete in the NFL and left for an easier gig. I guess he didn't have the msstate7 mindset of a winner.

vCash
    Dear god you are insufferable when you are wrong.

Saban has admitted on more than one occasion that he left Miami because he didn't like that he could only add one impact player a year and that he couldn't create the talent advantage that he needs to dominate. He has said on multiple occasions both publically and privately that being at Bama has allowed him to sign 10 first rounders every year and not just one through the draft.

He didn't want to simply have to compete with other coaches, he wanted the the talent advantage that Bama could give him. Apparently he didn't want to compete in the NFL and left for an easier gig. I guess he didn't have the msstate7 mindset of a winner.
    Saban,

"Look when the Miami Dolphins were going to sign Drew Brees. Drew was coming to Miami when I was the coach there. He was going to be the quarterback. That?s all we needed. We just went 9-7, and all we needed was a quarterback to be a playoff team. We were going to sign Drew Brees as a free agent. Dr. (James) Andrews operated on him, and I went to Birmingham to see Dr. Andrews, and he said it?ll be fine. Our doctors failed him on the physical. (Drew) was there to sign with us. I actually made a deal with his agent that he wouldn?t tell anybody for 72 hours he failed his physical until New Orleans signed him. That?s how he ended up in New Orleans.

?So, I decided right then when that happened that we don?t have a quarterback in the NFL, we?re not going to win. I?m getting out of here. I?m not staying here. I?m not going to be responsible for this. That doctor didn?t know his a? from a handful of sand. Drew Brees plays 15 more years, wins a Super Bowl, goes to nine Pro Bowls. And we didn?t take him in Miami, where he wanted to go. Some things you can?t control. When we left there nobody understood why. Well that was why.?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...s%20objections.

ETA.. maybe you know saban on a more personal basis. I'm just taking him at his word
    Last edited by msstate7; 11-29-2021 at 02:09 PM.

vCash
    BTW, when saban came back to the sec, urban Meyer was rolling and LSU had just won a natty. He didn't go to a weak conference

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    Give me a break. Elite coaches aren't afraid of competition. They thrive on it to build their egos. If they're afraid of competition, then they wash up
    what? FlaSt could have joined the SEC but Bobby Bowden didn't want the ass whippings. Some elite Coaches are Elite because they play the cup cakes.

vCash
    Saban,

"Look when the Miami Dolphins were going to sign Drew Brees. Drew was coming to Miami when I was the coach there. He was going to be the quarterback. That?s all we needed. We just went 9-7, and all we needed was a quarterback to be a playoff team. We were going to sign Drew Brees as a free agent. Dr. (James) Andrews operated on him, and I went to Birmingham to see Dr. Andrews, and he said it?ll be fine. Our doctors failed him on the physical. (Drew) was there to sign with us. I actually made a deal with his agent that he wouldn?t tell anybody for 72 hours he failed his physical until New Orleans signed him. That?s how he ended up in New Orleans.

?So, I decided right then when that happened that we don?t have a quarterback in the NFL, we?re not going to win. I?m getting out of here. I?m not staying here. I?m not going to be responsible for this. That doctor didn?t know his a? from a handful of sand. Drew Brees plays 15 more years, wins a Super Bowl, goes to nine Pro Bowls. And we didn?t take him in Miami, where he wanted to go. Some things you can?t control. When we left there nobody understood why. Well that was why.?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...s%20objections.

ETA.. maybe you know saban on a more personal basis. I'm just taking him at his word
    Imagine that, Saban spinning a story that has been disputed to make himself look like a genius.

Why didn't he just draft a QB or develop one? Why did he quit because he didn't have a QB. Sounds like a ***** move to me, even if you believe him. I mean a competitor doesn't just quit because one little thing doesn't go his way?

So Saban left a job because he didn't think he could be as competitive and simply quit, while lying about it consistently for weeks, and yet his mindset is considered the best in college football?

According to your standard, he quit and didn't want to compete in the NFL and took the easy way out, exactly like Riley did by skipping out on the SEC and go to the PAC 12; It is exactly the same.

vCash
    Well, the committee would love to not pick 2 SEC schools. Some coaches see that there are several paths that lead to the CFP. Most are relatively clear, but there are 2- the Big10 and SEC- that are thickets, full of briars, limbs, holes, etc. with the SEC being the worse of the two. Can you survive? Maybe. If you do, are you healthy enough to win it all? Maybe not. Some folks want to win a race, not a demolition derby.

vCash
    All the high profile coaches negotiate 8 figure buyouts that guarantee them millions if they fail. I say they're all pussies.**

vCash
    Imagine that, Saban spinning a story that has been disputed to make himself look like a genius.

Why didn't he just draft a QB or develop one? Why did he quit because he didn't have a QB. Sounds like a ***** move to me, even if you believe him. I mean a competitor doesn't just quit because one little thing doesn't go his way?

So Saban left a job because he didn't think he could be as competitive and simply quit, while lying about it consistently for weeks, and yet his mindset is considered the best in college football?

According to your standard, he quit and didn't want to compete in the NFL and took the easy way out, exactly like Riley did by skipping out on the SEC and go to the PAC 12; It is exactly the same.
    It would probably help your point more if saban didn't come back to the freaking SEC. If he had gone to an acc school or ND, it could certainly paint him as scared

vCash
    Seems like a dumb decision by Bowden more than a competitive decision. The sec wasn't all that great mid-80s to 1990. FSU joined acc in 1990
    Even then the SEC was a way better football conference than the ACC. At the time FSU thought they would rule the roost in the ACC and for a long time they did. During Miami's best years they weren't even in the ACC. The only other team that the ACC had that was consistently pretty good when FSU joined was VT under Beamer.

vCash
    Riley knows he's nothing special. He knows OK is nothing special in the SEC. Took the easiest route he could find. Go look at how many kids OK gets from Cali.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 11-29-2021 at 05:14 PM.

vCash
    You are missing my point. Clemson wasn't always an elite program. Spurrier shoved it in his face for years.

He stayed at Clemson and benefited from not playing in the SEC. He didn't leave for jobs in the SEC because he knew he had an easier path to the playoffs in the ACC. Hell for years, he couldn't beat SC. The reason he was able to make the playoffs was because he signed Watson and didn't have to play top 15 teams every other weekend.

Why would you want to volunteer to play in the SEC West right now. I mean LSU is a 6-6 team. A&M is an 8-4 team. These are talented programs with recruiting bases and tons of money.

If my life is on the line and I can fight one guy, or I can fight 5 guys at once. I'm not a ***** for choosing to fight one guy. It shows I'm rational.
    I agree with this. Saban is on record as leaving Mich St cause he couldn't out recruit Mich. And while I know the Miami story I've always wondered why he didn't stay and draft a stud QB. And to me it comes down to $$ and he knew he could out recruit everybody at Alabama. Saban didn't take a job at Ms State, OM, or Ky.

Dabo stayed at Clemson and built it up. His 1st Natty winning team averaged like 11 or so in recruiting rankings over the Soph/Jr/Sr classes I believe. Not only that, when OM starting beating Saban he was complaining in pressers about the hurry up offense not being safe to players (specifically his players), cause he couldn't substitute his 2nd Dline/LBs against OM Oline that had played the whole game. It evened out the field for Freeze. Saban does a lot of lobbying IMO. I will give him credit tho that he went and adapted to the way the college game was evolving.

So what we're really addressing tho is Riley taking USC job. Hell, I think that was very smart. You're at a historic blue blood. You have a ton of talent in Cali you can practically own, and you really only have to beat Oregon, Utah, maybe and up-and-comer in UCLA, maybe Wash year in year out. And he won't get fired in 3 years if he doesn't beat Saban and Kirby, or if he loses to Leach, Jimbo, or Kiffin. Playing in SEC he can lose a game any given weekend for the most part. USC was very smart move for him IMO.

vCash
    Interestingly, aTm and mizzou started out well in sec...

First 3 years:
    Mizzou 26-12
    aTm 27-11

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    This.

And the SECW is a Murderer's Row. Georgia played Georgia Southern and Georgia Tech back to back while Alabama played a hyped Arkansas and Auburn. The West is a butcher shop.
    Yeah, but Georgia played someone when Bama was playing Mercer.
    Downvotes_Hype