Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Had Cohen simply hired at good to competent coach post Don

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Offensive geniuses do not put that level of steaming excrement on the field for two years. Saquon Barclay made Joe look a lot better than he really is.
    It showed some signs of life when he kept things simple and went run heavy. I think the issue was that he usually tried to go full playbook wide open with no regard for personnel or experience, and hardly anyone knew what the hell they were doing.

It wouldn't matter if the offense had taken off from the start though, the fact that Joe didn't have a clue how to run a D1 major program would have caught up to him regardless.

vCash
    I still think Mike Leach is the perfect hire for MSU. You don't have to worry about other programs poaching him. He's here to prove his offense is still effective and he can get it done in the SEC.

We have an advantage that our offense and defense is something other teams don't get to see every week. I believe there's a reason we have Arnett. I also think Arnett likes being under Leach and I think he likes Starkville as a place for his family.

The pieces are coming together. We need to hit the transfer portal to fill some holes, but I'm sure they'll find the right guys.

Sure the EB loss sucked, but we were playing the #9 team in the country and our receivers decided to have their worst game all season. What I saw was a young team making mistakes. Give this bunch a couple of years and I think we do something MSU has never done in football.

vCash
    Had we hired Leach in 2018, 2018's results would have been worse than JoMo's; however, it we stuck with Leach, this season would have been 9-10 wins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Let's look at some of the major hires that year:

Scott Frost - 15-29 at Nebraska - BUST
    Jimbo Fisher - 34-14 at A&M - good, but not for the $ he's getting
    Chip Kelly - 17-25 at UCLA, finally got a winning record in year 4 - 7-4 - never would consider MSU
    Mario Cristobal - 34-12 at Oregon - never would consider coming to MSU
    Willie Taggert - 9-12 at FSU - disaster hire and fired in 2.
    Chad Morris - 4-18 at Arkansas - disaster hire and fired in 2.
    Kevin Sumlin - 9-20 at Arizona - disaster hire and fired in 3.
    Jeremy Pruitt - 16-19 at Tenn - bad hire and fired in 3 years.
    Steve Campbell - 9-26 at South Alabama - fired in 3 years.
    Billy Napier - 38-12 at La La - would have been seen as a joke of a hire at the time.
    Sonny Dykes - 30-17 at SMU - could make an argument that he would have been a good hire at State - but would have had a big adjustment to his offense just like Leach.
    Josh Heupel - went 28-8 at UCF and 6-5 at UT - would he have worked at MSU?

Dykes and Heupel are really the only two who might of considered an MSU offer who turned out as strong hires. Moorhead was seen as an A hire by MSU amongst these moves. Hiring a coach is a crap shoot.
    Napier would have been considered a good hire, right? Didn't much of the fanbase (including Cohen) want him?

vCash
    You heard it here first… Riley to LSU and Huepel to Oklahoma…

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    You heard it here first? Riley to LSU and Huepel to Oklahoma?
    I?m patiently waiting to see what Miami does

vCash
    That sounds logical

vCash
    Heupel would have OU ready to hit the ground running in the SEC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    Heupel would have OU ready to hit the ground running in the SEC
    Poor Tennessee

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    Napier would have been considered a good hire, right? Didn't much of the fanbase (including Cohen) want him?
    That was after 2 years at La La. When we hired JoMo, Napier was 38 year old coach who had been fired at Clemson as OC and was coming off of 1 season as OC under his belt at Arizona State (They went 7-6 and Todd Harrell was fired.) If we had hired him with zero HC experience our fan base would have melted down.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeDawg15 View Post
    Poor Tennessee
    Mullen to TN

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    Mullen to TN
    Mullen* next move will be interesting. He’s still a good coach IMO. Tennessee always 17s up their hires unless they’ve finally kicked fat Phil out of the process

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    That was after 2 years at La La. When we hired JoMo, Napier was 38 year old coach who had been fired at Clemson as OC and was coming off of 1 season as OC under his belt at Arizona State (They went 7-6 and Todd Harrell was fired.) If we had hired him with zero HC experience our fan base would have melted down.
    LSU Poscaster said we offered Napier and he turned us and another college down. I don't really believe that

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    We will win 7 or 8 next year with a shot at 10 the next year.
    Romans 5:8

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by memsu06 View Post
    I still think Mike Leach is the perfect hire for MSU. You don't have to worry about other programs poaching him. He's here to prove his offense is still effective and he can get it done in the SEC.

We have an advantage that our offense and defense is something other teams don't get to see every week. I believe there's a reason we have Arnett. I also think Arnett likes being under Leach and I think he likes Starkville as a place for his family.

The pieces are coming together. We need to hit the transfer portal to fill some holes, but I'm sure they'll find the right guys.

Sure the EB loss sucked, but we were playing the #9 team in the country and our receivers decided to have their worst game all season. What I saw was a young team making mistakes. Give this bunch a couple of years and I think we do something MSU has never done in football.
    Post more!
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    It's all working out for us. Just taking longer than it should. But let's be honest, Mullen left us little on the offensive side.

vCash
    Recruiting looking pretty good , we moved into the top 25

vCash
    If we had hired Mike Leach after Mullen we would be reading multiple posts tonight about how it's great to win 10 this year but let's don't forget about how Leach ****ed up and wasted that 2018 defense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    If we had hired Mike Leach after Mullen we would be reading multiple posts tonight about how it's great to win 10 this year but let's don't forget about how Leach ****ed up and wasted that 2018 defense.
    I think we win 10 minimum with Leach in 2018. Leach ain't gonna waste good talent and that team had it on both sides of ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    I think we win 10 minimum with Leach in 2018. Leach ain't gonna waste good talent and that team had it on both sides of ball.
    There's no chance we win 10 games with Leach in 2018. The offensive personnel wasn't there and Leach isn't changing.