Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    We’re passing both next year.

Ark and OM hired coaches that ran offenses that fit the talent on campus and was similar to what they already ran. We made a long term investment while they went with styles that would work quick. And OM had a 1st rd QB on campus.
    If Lane, Lebby, Briles and Odom stay it?s one thing. OM has to go to the portal for a QB bc that kid from Starkville ain?t gonna cut it next year. Plus they are losing some key starters elsewhere too. If Lebby takes a G5 head coaching job that offense takes a huge step back. If Lane leaves chaos will ensue.

Pittman is gonna be up a creek if he loses both coordinators. Losing one will be tough enough but there?s a chance he might lose both. If that happens we?re gonna see exactly how good of a coach Sam Pittman really is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    We?re passing both next year.

Ark and OM hired coaches that ran offenses that fit the talent on campus and was similar to what they already ran. We made a long term investment while they went with styles that would work quick. And OM had a 1st rd QB on campus.
    Spot on

It?s a quick turnaround vs a long term investment. I think Pittman is a good coach and a good hire. I think Kiffin is gone very soon. If his program drops off substantially after losing Corrall and a dozen senior starters, then he will look for an excuse to get the hell out of dodge. That?s even if he doesn?t get the Miami, LSU, OU job this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    It?s a legit question. Do you disagree? 2 years ago, we were heads and shoulders in better shape than both of them. We can?t fire Leach. 3 HC in 4 years would kill the program, but you do realize that we are 0-4 vs them. As I watch this Arky game, I find myself wondering how it went this way so fast. JoMo recruited well per the numbers. Arky was a dumpster fire. OM coming off of probation.
    Wow had not thought about that but you make a good point. 0-4 against teams we used to be better than. Not a good trend if you ask me. Ark went from a joke to a real SEC team in one year and one new HC.

We can't stay there if we do we'll be the cellar of the SECW.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Impossible to know really. Outside of Makai Polk, the portal hasn't been so nice to us. But as of now, portal transfers haven't factored into the rankings.
    Green has been solid as has Charleton. If you count Juco as transfers that has always been good.

vCash
    In reference to OM offense , Corral was the perfect fit for Lebby's offense and he learned from his mistakes last year. They won't find another perfect fit for that offense. They may find a quarterback who can run it really good or good, but not the way Corral did with his decision making, his passing and his running ability.

In reference to the OM defense , they improved their defense greatly by going through the transfer portal, especially with 44 coming in and leading them in tackles.

vCash
    I bet Kiffin will be there head coach next year. He will sign the new extension

vCash
    We've started over - from scratch - twice in the last four years.

vCash
    Going from a traditional, as far back as you can go, smash mouth team to an air raid is hard to fully accomplish even in 2 yrs. As much as it is of importance to find the offensive pieces. Defense is a must unless we want to be in shootouts every week like his teams at Texas tech and Washington st

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgsfanalongtime77 View Post
    Going from a traditional, as far back as you can go, smash mouth team to an air raid is hard to fully accomplish even in 2 yrs. As much as it is of importance to find the offensive pieces. Defense is a must unless we want to be in shootouts every week like his teams at Texas tech and Washington st
    We actually went from smash mouth to soft RPO to Air Raid.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    It?s a legit question. Do you disagree? 2 years ago, we were heads and shoulders in better shape than both of them. We can?t fire Leach. 3 HC in 4 years would kill the program, but you do realize that we are 0-4 vs them. As I watch this Arky game, I find myself wondering how it went this way so fast. JoMo recruited well per the numbers. Arky was a dumpster fire. OM coming off of probation.
    Because unlike other teams, they specifically set their entire defense to sit back and pounce when we throw the ball. Both had DEs that could beat Scott Langley knowing 90% passes were coming up. Go back and watch both games this year. Ark, for two years in a row laid the lumber on anyone catching the ball. They never went man to man, regardless of situation, unless it was inside their 15 yard line. UM did exactly the same thing. Both focused on limiting all YAC, and they executed the majority of the game. Zone discipline well executed.

Then you add to it, both teams had a dang good mix of running schemes and passing, keeping our defense guessing.

All of that, and on top we looked like we were running in sand compared to them. Bad angles. Slow breaks on the ball. No QB spy. No pass rush, and when we did, Corral just ran it.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    How did we get passed by OM and Arky in a 2 year span?
    Remember about 3-4 years ago when we lost several recruiting battles to Arkansas and nobody said it was a big deal? I do and we have also undersigned like no one else in the SEC.

vCash
    I can?t believe that nobody in state went hard after KJ Jefferson. He?s been key to Arky?s success.

vCash
    I can?t believe that nobody in state went hard after KJ Jefferson. He?s been key to Arky?s success.
    Without the best WR in the SEC, he's Relf. And say what you want about Pittman, his OLs will always be one of the best in the SEC. He's a great OL guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    Remember about 3-4 years ago when we lost several recruiting battles to Arkansas and nobody said it was a big deal? I do and we have also undersigned like no one else in the SEC.
    None of those guys are actually playing for AR.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    I bet Kiffin will be there head coach next year. He will sign the new extension
    Unless Miami or Oklahoma pay him, he's staying. Of course, there's still the domino effect of those jobs but those are probably the only two options right now. I don't think he likes Oxford nearly as much as Oxford likes him. But it is a good fit.

vCash
    Does a 2pt loss on the road against arkansas mean that they have blown by us? A game that could have gone either way?

Does Ole miss having a NFL 1st round senior QB mean they have blown by us in some form?

I feel like a lot of y'all have no idea what nuance is. You just see score and record and assume we suck.

Arkansas had a bunch of 5th and even some 6th year seniors. They were one of the oldest teams in the league. Big big difference in a 22-23 yr old kid that has been in an SEC strength program for 4-5 years and a 18-19 year old kid that hasn't.

Arkansas will have a tough year next year and we probably will beat them by multiple scores at home.

Same can be said for the egg bowl next year more than likely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Does a 2pt loss on the road against arkansas mean that they have blown by us? A game that could have gone either way?

Does Ole miss having a NFL 1st round senior QB mean they have blown by us in some form?

I feel like a lot of y'all have no idea what nuance is. You just see score and record and assume we suck.

Arkansas had a bunch of 5th and even some 6th year seniors. They were one of the oldest teams in the league. Big big difference in a 22-23 yr old kid that has been in an SEC strength program for 4-5 years and a 18-19 year old kid that hasn't.

Arkansas will have a tough year next year and we probably will beat them by multiple scores at home.

Yes and based on the same dim witted logic we have blown by TAMU and Auburn, we are trending up and they are trending down. Memphis has passed us up based on running off with a dead ball with twelve men on the field and drunken stoned officials.

Great logic

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post

Like button push.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Without the best WR in the SEC, he's Relf. And say what you want about Pittman, his OLs will always be one of the best in the SEC. He's a great OL guy.
    Burks or not, he?s better than Relf. He finished with the highest season QBR in Arkansas history and hasn?t thrown an interception in 6 games. Made several NFL quality throws yesterday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Arkansas and Ole Miss haven't left us behind. That's about as dumb as saying we've left Auburn and A&M behind because we beat them this year. The SEC this year was much more like the 1990s than it has been over the past 2 decades. On any given weekend all but 3 teams had games that were toss ups - Bama, UGA, and Vandy. Ole Miss happened to win more of their toss ups but their talent profile isn't that different than ours. They were a lot like our '99 team where everything went our way - including a huge come form behind at Auburn, and a lucky Tip, kick, pick that resulted in a game winning FG. Without those, that '99 team is just another MSU 8 win team. Meanwhile, we were a lot like our '13 team - where we just weren't quite ready for prime time but you saw the flashes of talent that would make the '14 season.

Hopefully next year our team has learned from the mistakes and gets the kinks out. Ole Miss will be dealing with losing a talented Senior class and replacing a talented QB. Arkansas will be in the same spot. Will we beat them? I have no idea. I do know that looking at our schedule again next year we have 10 winnable games - and only Bama and UGA stand out as teams that we will like have no chance against.
    Because of that in bold, if we played them again today, I would pick the Bulldogs. They are who they are yet I believe our young skill guys would make the plays today and win, just because of experience.