Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunday Morning QB- Our Coach Is The Worst Coach in Rival Games Edition

vCash

Sunday Morning QB- Our Coach Is The Worst Coach in Rival Games Edition

1. First of all- I hope that everyone had a good Thanksgiving minus the game. Food was ridiculous here as I cooked bacon wraps with thinly sliced ribeye, stuffed jalape?os and zucchini, my famous chicken and dressing...then we also had a couple of turkeys and all the fixings. The old ex in-laws were glad to have me back. I?m sure most of you had great food as well. ?Merica

2. We have the worst coach in rivalry games in the country. 0 for his last 9. It?s hard to be that bad in rivalry games unless your rival is Bama. And even Auburn or LSU can?t do it.

3. We?ve been pretty lucky with the weather this year. Last night that luck ran out. You aren?t going to win very often throwing the ball 58 times in the rain. You are going to have drops. Bad passes that slip. Fewer good catches because WR?s can?t get the grip they need. November is usually bad weather month and we had a very mild one. We shall see what next Nov has in store

4. aGAIN I say- it should worry everyone that our coaching staff believes that Lashley is one of our 5 best offensive linemen. We ran him out there week after week- so our coaches think that. And we knew they were going to sic #7 on him too. When you don?t have a viable run threat to make a quality pass rusher play the run at all- that?s what you get.

5. The drops at the end of the half could have changed momentum- but there is no guarantee we would have done any better afterward. They had us game planned very well and outplayed us. Their pass D was on us all night long. Obviously a dry field would have made a difference- but it is what it is.

6. Mississippi didn?t do anything new offensively and after 2 weeks of prep we didn?t defend it well. We were confused and it showed. On one play they orbit motioned the WR to the right and ran the ball to the left. We had 2 LB?s running toward the right while the RB is gashing us left. Just awful. OM ran the ball 44 times- which what you have to do in that kind of weather.

7. The better QB won last night. They both spin it pretty well. Coral threw it just a little better in the bad conditions sans the bad decision on the Jett pick- but the real difference is Coral can make plays with his legs. That?s a big factor in today?s football. Carr did it a few times yesterday to the Cowboys in big situations. Coral did it to us. Having a statue at QB is slowly being phased out of the game at higher levels. Our QB nearly hurt himself when he tried to run. He did have a nice 14 yard rumble and slide in the 2nd half which got him to 4 yards rushing for the game.

8. Onside kicking with 7:30 left in the game when we had just scored and gotten some momentum was absolutely stupid. The onside kick is a low percentage play- especially when the other teams know you are doing it. The surprise onside is the only reason the recover number is as high as it is compared to attempts. You had to give your D one more chance with 7-plus mins left. Terrible call.

9. Some of guys that could leave didn?t do thru Sr day and that was good to hear. I wasn?t surprised Heath did.

10. Keep recruiting. This class is making a climb in the rankings. Got to find a couple of OL guys in the portal. Roster numbers have to fit so look for some roster changeover of course. And of course- the coaching carousel begins tomorrow night. Dominoes will start falling which will influence recruiting and the portal.

Anything ****ing year of hearing the Shitbirds squawk. Ugh. Hail State
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Yah, gonna be a long offseason and a long 2022. Even if this team improves the record won't. Need to hope for Kiffin to get leave / get canned or more OM probation seasons for us to get back to decent. 4 - 6 in the past 10 years of Egg Bowls. Inexcusable, should be 7 - 3 over that period given what we had to work with.

vCash
    Considering most here didn't see any way for us to make 7 wins much less to a bowl game after the Memphis loss I say we still had a dang good season. We could have easily had 2 more wins and possibly 3. They'll learn from this and the next few years will be interesting for us.

The schedule next year is brutal though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by memsu06 View Post
    Considering most here didn't see any way for us to make 7 wins much less to a bowl game after the Memphis loss I say we still had a dang good season. We could have easily had 2 more wins and possibly 3. They'll learn from this and the next few years will be interesting for us.

Agree it was a successful season and progress over last year. Doesn’t make last night any less disappointing tho.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by memsu06 View Post

To me it’s the tortoise and the hare. Kiffin hit the ground running because he has the top q b in the country who is also the best dual running threat out there and a match up nightmare.

Leach is building from the ground up. Kiffin is making a big hit now to promote himself for another job. Leach is here for the long haul.

State will be good and have a great offense. The argument of “the air raid can’t work in the sec” is moot at this point.

You have some power I fans who will just have to learn over time what the deal is. This same thing happened at Tech. The good ole boys wanted a power run game and hated that leach wouldn’t,punt. Most of them were won over with time.

vCash
    This year was one of progress, no doubt. Trying hard to remember that this morning.

Last night is still a tough pill to swallow. Really thought our offense was riding high after Awburn and would be able to light them up. Still can't wrap my head around that performance - rain be damned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Agree it was a successful season and progress over last year. Doesn’t make last night any less disappointing tho.
    Exactly. Both things can be correct.

vCash
    Next year there is no Vandy and no Charles Cross. Scary.

It's unreal to me watching Ole Miss play #7 that wide and we can't do anything with the run inside of him. Painful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSwamp View Post
    This year was one of progress, no doubt. Trying hard to remember that this morning.

Last night is still a tough pill to swallow. Really thought our offense was riding high after Awburn and would be able to light them up. Still can't wrap my head around that performance - rain be damned.
    The offense wasn't the best-that's true, but we had a couple of DB's that didn't seem to want to be out there. Very poor tackling. Ole Miss was a tougher team. Example-their RB, no. 24, knocked our no.12 back into the endzone when he tried to tackle him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Next year there is no Vandy and no Charles Cross. Scary.

It's unreal to me watching Ole Miss play #7 that wide and we can't do anything with the run inside of him. Painful.
    that was one of many things that just left me wondering about our coaching last night, they were lining up the DE's 3-5 yards outside and we still didn't try to run up the middle. No help for lashly as he was getting beat on most plays, either holding or giving up a sack. What were the coaches thinking?

We've had progress in general, but we have had major steps backwards that are head scratchers and last night was one of them.

vCash
    We need to get Tulu involved in a run play or two because he is not going to get the ball enough returning and catching. He is quick and fast which is extremely rare combo at State.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redstickdawg View Post
    that was one of many things that just left me wondering about our coaching last night, they were lining up the DE's 3-5 yards outside and we still didn't try to run up the middle. No help for lashly as he was getting beat on most plays, either holding or giving up a sack. What were the coaches thinking?

We've had progress in general, but we have had major steps backwards that are head scratchers and last night was one of them.
    Also on defense they would constantly swing a back or receiver out wide rather than attack the middle of the defense. I did not see an adjustment for this.

Banned
    vCash
    The write-ups are longer and the coffee is stronger when we lose because that's all that some on this board care about. Being right.

It's interesting to note that your write-up only talks about plays that happened once OM took the lead. Don't give me the Cowboys game was still on excuse. I was at AT&T and watched every snap of the Egg Bowl on my phone because we have the technology and the service is good enough.

The back-breaking was three-fold. The TD drive for OM in the first half followed our first missed FG. Whether you want to blame the 3rd & 7 / 2nd & 22 conversions on holding or not is up to you. Scott Lashley should have paid attention and adapted. Dak said postgame it's what the Cowboys didn't do, adapt to reffing. Regardless, the 3rd & 8 run that same drive was more inexcusable. Then 3rd & 1 from the 6, we let them run it up the middle 4 times and score. That can't happen. Not when we've talked about having such a stout run defense.

Then the next offensive drive for us, feinting injuries for Ole Miss reared it's head. There's no rule against it, so we should have known that bush league strategy was coming. And then we turn around and drop 3 passes (idc what you say about this offense. 3 straight red zone plays were TDs and we flat dropped them.) And of course it capped it off with a missed FG.

All 3 phases of the game failed absolutely royally there. Then mentally we quit and didn't try until Jett Johnson got lucky Corral got lax. Say what you will, but this team has a young team problem of quitting when they get punched in the mouth and things don't go their way. The buck falls on Leach with that; however, that is a vast improvement over the last 3 years in that regard. Take another step forward here next year and 10-2 is on the table for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Haha- I got censured last night after about my 5th “RTGDF”. When we were inside the 15 and they showed a beautiful behind the offense view of the 3 man from with extra wide 9’s- and didn’t run- I knew we were unlikely to win. That was on the 3 TD drop possession before half also. That’s the difference in being 7-5 and maybe 10-2 in my opinion. We have to be able to run the ball some. We just do.

vCash
    We should have had at least 21 points in the first half. Would have been up 21-10 at the least and all the momentum.
    TSUN could smell blood after that half time stop with us dropping the ball, missing FG.

I thought missing that corner throw with Polk was just as huge early one. Would have been 10-3, and momentum for sure.
    Corral at that point was impatient, and being behind would have only made him worse.

vCash
    My fear is that Leach doesn?t seem to be someone who makes adjustments and would rather lose his way than make a change.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    The write-ups are longer and the coffee is stronger when we lose because that's all that some on this board care about. Being right.

It's interesting to note that your write-up only talks about plays that happened once OM took the lead. Don't give me the Cowboys game was still on excuse. I was at AT&T and watched every snap of the Egg Bowl on my phone because we have the technology and the service is good enough.

The back-breaking was three-fold. The TD drive for OM in the first half followed our first missed FG. Whether you want to blame the 3rd & 7 / 2nd & 22 conversions on holding or not is up to you. Scott Lashley should have paid attention and adapted. Dak said postgame it's what the Cowboys didn't do, adapt to reffing. Regardless, the 3rd & 8 run that same drive was more inexcusable. Then 3rd & 1 from the 6, we let them run it up the middle 4 times and score. That can't happen. Not when we've talked about having such a stout run defense.

Then the next offensive drive for us, feinting injuries for Ole Miss reared it's head. There's no rule against it, so we should have known that bush league strategy was coming. And then we turn around and drop 3 passes (idc what you say about this offense. 3 straight red zone plays were TDs and we flat dropped them.) And of course it capped it off with a missed FG.

All 3 phases of the game failed absolutely royally there. Then mentally we quit and didn't try until Jett Johnson got lucky Corral got lax. Say what you will, but this team has a young team problem of quitting when they get punched in the mouth and things don't go their way. The buck falls on Leach with that; however, that is a vast improvement over the last 3 years in that regard. Take another step forward here next year and 10-2 is on the table for us.
    Good post

I see the same thing. Much of it is mental.

Rather than be focused on the game and playing with determination, we looked like a deer in the headlights who really got shook up and didn’t believe in ourselves. That’s what you see with freshman who have never been there before. Look on the other side of the ball.....ole miss has mostly seniors on defense, Williams, Campbell, grad transfers and senior safety’s. They are a grizzled veteran team.

We are young, not mentally tough and just choked on the big stage. Yea the coach’s have to get em prepared to play but there’s an,old football saying , the best thing about freshman is they will be sophomores.

And the narrative that Matt Corrall,is just another q b is a joke, There is not a. Tougher matchup in the country because of his legs. He is a better runner at q b than I’ve seen in a while. 3rdmand long, 4th and long and he runs for twenty just breaks your back.

One other th8ng is, as much as I like will, there will be a qbs who have strong arms and can avoid the sack that will add new dimensions to the air raid. Locke will be a guy that will have a very high ceiling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redstickdawg View Post

Because Leach doesn't make adjustments. Kiffen did. Everybody knew before the game that we had to keep a RB in to help Lashey, but he left him out there on an island. Against Kentucky we did keep a RB in and that really showed. Why we didn't last night befuddles anyone who knows anything about football. And when we couldn't catch the FB in the redzone the inside handoff was wide open and thats on Will.

vCash
    Haha- I got censured last night after about my 5th “RTGDF”. When we were inside the 15 and they showed a beautiful behind the offense view of the 3 man from with extra wide 9’s- and didn’t run- I knew we were unlikely to win. That was on the 3 TD drop possession before half also. That’s the difference in being 7-5 and maybe 10-2 in my opinion. We have to be able to run the ball some. We just do.
    Just when Leach starts to suck me in......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    My fear is that Leach doesn?t seem to be someone who makes adjustments and would rather lose his way than make a change.
    Remember one of our previous coaches that threw 500 times in the rain and didn't make adjustments to his system?