Thread: Next year (long post)

vCash

Next year (long post)

I'm still in pain. Last night sucked. But let's look ahead.

We return pretty much everybody. Should be a very good team. Here's what needs to happen to give us the best chance to make it special.

1. Get a LT.

Cross was a stud, and we're going to miss him. We need to hit the portal for a legit LT. We're probably going to land Percy Lewis from MGCCC so that's big, but we need some experience and talent here, otherwise, we in trouble. LT is priority #1.

2. Get an older CB.

Emerson is gone. Forbes is back. Richardson has played good in his few opportunities, but we need an older guy here to bring competition and depth. Whether it be a few JUCO CBs or another transfer, get another CB.

3. Get a 17ing kicker.

There are high school football teams who have better kickers than us. It really isn't that difficult. I'm not asking for a guy who can nail 65 yarders. I just want a mentally tough kid who can consistently hit from 40 and in. Matt Brock needs to be removed as ST coach. I'm not saying fire him, because he's a good recruiter and OLB coach, but his STs unit has been atrocious all year, and that's unacceptable. It's 1/3 of the game and should be treated as such.

4. Get a pass rusher.

The only way we ever get pressure is to bring the house. We need someone that can get to the QB without having to send all the LBs too. Maybe that guy is Jordan Davis who was hurt before the season started. Maybe Demonte Russell matures into that guy. Maybe we hit the portal for a guy. I don't care honestly. We just need someone that can 17 things up off the edge.

There are other issues too. Our LBs and safeties are slow. RT is a position that needs to be addressed.

But if we address those 4 areas I listed, we have the chance to be really freaking good. Hang in there everyone.

vCash
    Agree with all of these.

I constantly think we have local HS kickers that can boom 40 yard field goals on a consistent basis. I saw a kid this year nail fifty yarders with many yards to spare.

The juco Nick jones might be able to step in next year. I think lashley is so limited that Reese would probably be an upgrade.

vCash
    We're losing much more on the OL, 3 of 5 and the cupboard looks fairly bare. We need speed across the board on defense there's not much there in LB corps and the safeties are not what we need. So to say that we return pretty much everybody is really looking at things with maroon glasses, we have a lot of holes to fill in addition to ones listed above.

vCash
    We could arguably be overall better next year and have the same or potentially worse record. Make NO mistake about it, losing that LT is going to be tough on this offense. Plus, we replace Vandy with UGA, so mark that one down as a loss.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    We could arguably be overall better next year and have the same or potentially worse record. Make NO mistake about it, losing that LT is going to be tough on this offense. Plus, we replace Vandy with UGA, so mark that one down as a loss.
    I would hope not. We have 4 very winnable OOC games and Arkansas, TAMU, and Auburn are all at home. No excuses and no slip ups. If we win 7 one needs to be over Ole Miss but it really needs to be 8-9 wins with one over Ole Miss.

vCash
    Any coach you have to give them time to bring in their players and system. 1.5 years ain’t it.

Quick fixes such as grad transfers usually lead to a big fall off in a year or two. I like the players Leach is bringing in. He’s building it right.