Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What can we do different?

vCash

What can we do different?

Obviously we have shown how good we can be the past few weeks. I really thought we would take care of business tonight. Will played as well as he could, receivers just dropped too many balls. Thank God Sam Williams leaves. I didn?t think he would have the impact he did. Thoughts?

vCash
    Drink heavily and talk about our baseball Natty.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    Score more than 6 points in 4 redzone trips in the first half. Don?t miss wide open TD to Polk. Don?t drop 3 consecutive, non contested TDs. Don?t miss a chip shot FG. That last drive of first half swing the pendulum

vCash
    Ole miss had 1 dlinemen between our tackles at times. You have to run it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madkin91991 View Post
    Obviously we have shown how good we can be the past few weeks. I really thought we would take care of business tonight. Will played as well as he could, receivers just dropped too many balls. Thank God Sam Williams leaves. I didn?t think he would have the impact he did. Thoughts?
    The oline did ok, not great, from what I saw. Will was actually slightly off all night, and regressed to being a bit slow making decisions. Our receivers were having to make great catches when they normally would be making routine ones. This offense is so dependent on the QB making inch perfect deliveries and getting rid of the ball FAST, when the QB is off even slightly, it's never good. It's the main reason Leach has the record he does, which is good, but not great.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 11-26-2021 at 01:39 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    Score more than 6 points in 4 redzone trips in the first half. Don?t miss wide open TD to Polk. Don?t drop 3 consecutive, non contested TDs. Don?t miss a chip shot FG. That last drive of first half swing the pendulum
    Well this about covers most of it. One thing that leach must do is teach Will how to go long. When we get down this O isn't designed to make a comeback against good teams.

vCash
    I know the game is made up of a lot of little plays. But I?m telling you, not getting a TD as the half ended deflated the stadium.

vCash
    Tell Will to stop trying to do too much.

Get a kicker.

Get 2-3 EDGE pass rushers that can cause havoc.

vCash
    Having and edge rusher would make the defense a lot better. We only get pressure with blitzes

vCash
    We need DE's, LB's, DT's, DE's and Safeties.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    We need DE's, LB's, DT's, DE's and Safeties.
    I agree even though you said DE twice. We have a bunch of guys that profile as DT's or MLB's and our safeties are just below average although tonight was one of their better games.

As a result we are good at stopping the run in general but are not good at causing havoc. We don't create very many turnovers or get enough sacks and TFL's. We need to improve that going forward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

Get a kicker.

He made some really bad throws. Outside of our mesh routes, he gets in trouble

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Well this about covers most of it. One thing that leach must do is teach Will how to go long. When we get down this O isn't designed to make a comeback against good teams.
    Was this the first game you've watched this season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madkin91991 View Post
    He made some really bad throws. Outside of our mesh routes, he gets in trouble
    It felt like Will the first half of the season. Some people think that Leach doesn't care about rivalry games and doesn't have the team ready. But I actually think we were too amped up on offense and it caused problems with our timing. Next year I hope he emphasizes everyone doing their job and they can't stop us on the offensive side of the ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

Get a kicker.

To this uneducated eye, I thought Will played a little out of character. Pressed too hard for the bigger plays. And on some of those passes, he wasn't close to being accurate. Not blaming Will at all. We were still in position to score. We got the big momentum TD before half against AU. Last night, we dropped 3 TD passes for that big momentum TD before half.

vCash
    My thoughts on doing something different......

Mississippi State University needs to find a way to raise the profile of the football program. This football program is just always a step or two behind OMs football program. State has to get better in recruiting.

After a full two seasons, I am not convinced this offense is some secret weapon or magic bullet that elevates the talent profile. We still need players with stones that want the ball in their hands, when the other team is playing well and the game is on the line. We need speed and size on defense regardless of the offense. We need a damn kicker that isn't a choker.

We shall see how Leach and Company finish in recruiting. However if State doesn't do more to get serious about the football program, State will always lose to Alabama and only beat OM in years that OM is down. I've just seen to many different coaches and players and seasons to think anything different will occur (regardless of some magical offense) unless State just flat out gets better players or OM has a really down year.

vCash
    What can we do differently? I'd say get a QB that can run a little and isn't afraid. I like Will. He's smart and he's generally accurate throwing the ball but if this offense is ever going work well in the SEC and take the next step you're going to have to get a more mobile QB. IF we had that, this offense would be almost unstoppable. Think Oklahoma. When we got pressure on Corral he stepped up in the pocket and ran right by our DL and hurt us. If Will was capable of doing that who could stop us? Some will say Leach has told him not to run, yada, yada. If that's the case then Leach is an idiot.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Has Leach ever had a QB run? I agree, it would be lethal. But I don?t think Leach coaches or allows it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    Has Leach ever had a QB run? I agree, it would be lethal. But I don?t think Leach coaches or allows it
    If he doesn't allow it then he's not some genius like everyone says, he's an effing idiot. They say there's a fine line between the two. I'm not advocating the QB pull it and run it 20 times a game but there were many times all season where Will easily had 8-10 yards but wouldn't take it. I thought this offense was all about "taking what the defense gives you"? If this offense is going to take the next step and work in the SEC, you're QB is going to have to tuck tail and have some balls and run it every now and then. If you don't you're going to have nights like last night where your rhythm and timing is off and when you do, well you see what happens.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Get a QB that can run? Really? Will will be our QB for the next 2-3 years. he will get better , but will never be a runner. So how about quit saying we need a running QB, won’t happen. I’m pumped about Will and this offense going forward. I don’t want Will running. Neither should any of you. How about let’s be happy with 7 wins and a bowl win? Most of you who want Will to run are the same ones saying we wouldn’t win 5 game.