Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Reason I wouldn't Extend Mike Leach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    If this game meant as much as you think it does, Moorhead would still be our coach.

What our program looks like in its entirety is far more important.

Leach in 2 years took the mess Moorhead left us and has turned us into a program that has 3 ranked wins, went undefeated on the road in the SEC, has a team that refuses to quit, and is winning recruiting battles. Plus his sophomore Qb just rewrote every passing record in our school's history and will have him 2nd all time in passing yards in a season in the SEC.

Dude proved it can work here and has a program that's tough and competes every week. It's going to take more than 2 years to undo what Moorhead did. But Leach ha done a hell of a job getting it to where it needs to be. We were picked by basics every major publication to finish last in the west and we played a game tonight that would have given us 2nd place.

Did we mess up this year? Sure. Hopefully we learn from it and see changes in the right spots. But the future is bright under Leach.
    The thing is, Joe won both of his games against the Confederate bastards. He had moved beyond them, for a year or so at least. Leach has yet to do it even ONCE, the absolute prerequisite to doing anything at all at MSU. If Leach doesn't beat them next year, he HAS to go. Anyone that would defend him if we lose to them next year does NOT have MSU's best interest at heart.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    This is such a bad take. So if he goes 9-3 or 10-2 with a loss to them, no extension? We fire him? Because we were about 6 points away from that being a reality this year.

The amount of ridiculousness that pops up after losses is mind blowing. If we go 5-7 next year but beat Ole Miss, will that make you happier?

People calling for him to never get an extension until he beats Ole Miss have zero clue about how this stuff works. Yeah let's set a precedent! That will teach him to value this game more! Yeah no extension unless you win this game!

I would take 10-2 every year for the next 5 years with Egg Bowl losses every year than 7-5 or 8-4 and we win some Egg Bowls. This game is important, but it's not nearly as important as some of y'all are making it out to be.
    LOL, no you wouldn't, not if you live in Mississippi and are old enough to remember what losing to them year after year means. I know you actually mean what you said intellectually. But if you ACTUALLY think that through......Emotionally, esp if you live in Mississippi, you would change your tune long before that happened. REALISTICLY, if that were to happen, it would probably mean much more misery than just 5 straight. They would freaking OWN head to head recruiting in Mississippi if it happened. Your statement is just damn nuts.

vCash
    The solution is extension with no raise.

vCash
    In the last 30 years we've beat om 16 times which means we're almost .500 against each other over that span and that's probably the way it's gonna be for the foreseeable future. I hate om and wish we could win every year but that's not realistic nor is it realistic for them to expect to beat us every year. We're just to evenly matched year in and year out now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The solution is no extension. He HAS to be made to know what this game means. His demeanor tonight absolutely proves he could care less. His past record in real rivalry games is absolutely damning. WSU may have been fine with beating Washington once in 8 years. Losing to the Confederates 7 out of 8 years HERE, is totally unacceptable. If we don't beat the Confederates next year he HAS to go. Extending his contract this year is a waste of money till he proves he isn't what he has always been.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    In the last 30 years we've beat om 16 times which means we're almost .500 against each other over that span and that's probably the way it's gonna be for the foreseeable future. I hate om and wish we could win every year but that's not realistic nor is it realistic for them to expect to beat us every year. We're just to evenly matched year in and year out now.
    Leach is .000 against them.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    At the end of the day, wins and losses are all that matters. But can we use a little context with the last two egg bowls? We had 40 players last year. This year, the sharks have a 1st round QB and one of their best teams ever. Now if we lose next year, it gets uncomfortable. We should be better than them next year.

vCash
    Leach won't beat Ole Miss next year if Kiffin stays. And I think Kiffin stays

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    At the end of the day, wins and losses are all that matters. But can we use a little context with the last two egg bowls? We had 40 players last year. This year, the sharks have a 1st round QB and one of their best teams ever. Now if we lose next year, it gets uncomfortable. We should be better than them next year.
    But we have to beat them. I actually think over this last month, till tonight, we were the better team. If they beat us next year Leach HAS to go, PERIOD. And if he has to go, his boss can't be allowed ANY input when it comes to the new hire. If HE has to go to make that happen, then he has to go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    The solution is no extension. He HAS to be made to know what this game means. His demeanor tonight absolutely proves he could care less. His past record in real rivalry games is absolutely damning. WSU may have been fine with beating Washington once in 8 years. Losing to the Confederates 7 out of 8 years HERE, is totally unacceptable. If we don't beat the Confederates next year he HAS to go. Extending his contract this year is a waste of money till he proves he isn't what he has always been.
    Ask Ole Miss how doing that with Mike Bianco for not beating us has worked. It absolutely set back their recruiting and will set their program back.

vCash
    Well we're only a quarter of the way there. I do agree he needs to beat them but I'm not going to worry about it until we lose again. Especially given the circumstances. We should be much more experienced and the better team next year.

vCash
    Ask Ole Miss how doing that with Mike Bianco for not beating us has worked. It absolutely set back their recruiting and will set their program back.
    Last time I looked that one has been about even, or perhaps in our favor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Leach won't beat Ole Miss next year if Kiffin stays. And I think Kiffin stays
    I don't know. Kiffin usually has a couple of good years and then wears out his welcome at some point. Usually that's year three if he hasn't left like he did at Tennessee or piss off Al Davis.

I thought that were pretty vanilla. Lots of orbit motions screens and runs for the most part. The key is they don't turn the ball over. I think tonight was like Corral's third INT all year. That's like a half for Mike Henig. They also have a veteran o-line and that helps a lot too.

vCash
    Well we're only a quarter of the way there. I do agree he needs to beat them but I'm not going to worry about it until we lose again. Especially given the circumstances. We should be much more experienced and the better team next year.
    I agree. If he doesn't beat them nest year he HAS to go, and he will. When it comes to this game, circumstances really don't matter. You either win it or you don't. Football ain't baseball.

vCash
    I don't know. Kiffin usually has a couple of good years and then wears out his welcome at some point. Usually that's year three if he hasn't left like he did at Tennessee or piss off Al Davis.

I thought that were pretty vanilla. Lots of orbit motions screens and runs for the most part. The key is they don't turn the ball over. I think tonight was like Corral's third INT all year. That's like a half for Mike Henig. They also have a veteran o-line and that helps a lot too.
    They turned it over once, we had no turnovers.

vCash
    They turned it over once, we had no turnovers.
    Correct but I'm speaking of more of the season as a whole rather than one game. Turnovers help you to lose games. We're already pretty good at it ourselves but Ole Miss is better at not turning the ball over than we are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Guess how long it's been since we lost 3 straight. Guess how long it's been since an OM coach won his first two vs us.
    Leach's offense can win 7 games here and there, but we're going to get a ton of these games. We're lucky we didn't lose to LaTech and AU too. Both games where we fell way behind. Not sure we beat AU if Nix doesn't get hurt. There's definitely concern with Leach and his offense. He doesn't deserve a raise. He does deserve an extension (even if I'd like to punch him in the face right now).
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 11-26-2021 at 05:54 AM.

vCash
    Some of yall post post dumbest shit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randolph Dupree View Post
    Gonna take some heat for this but here goes

If I'm Cohen I don't give Leach an extension. Reason being, I expect to beat (teams like) Memphis every year. I expect to beat Mississippi every year.

The argument: but we beat A&M and Auburn (I expect to beat UK BTW) this year as upsets.

Rebuttal: we are 50/50 vs A&M and Auburn since 2010ish and I expect to win those half the time. Yes, they were favored but they are always favored. Historically, Since 2010ish we beat them 50% of the time so
    you're keeping pace there.

Argument: it will hurt recruiting

Rebuttal: you could step that up too.

Note: I believe we're heading in the right direction but sometimes you need to draw the line.
    YAWN....go back under your rock!

vCash
    I can get on board with this. The point was always about setting expectations. We had a great win at Auburn, we had a great win at TAMU but you lost to Memphis (refs or not) and you lost two in a row to your rival. For all the good you had, you had some bad too.