Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Reason I wouldn't Extend Mike Leach

vCash

The Reason I wouldn't Extend Mike Leach

Gonna take some heat for this but here goes

If I'm Cohen I don't give Leach an extension. Reason being, I expect to beat (teams like) Memphis every year. I expect to beat Mississippi every year.

The argument: but we beat A&M and Auburn (I expect to beat UK BTW) this year as upsets.

Rebuttal: we are 50/50 vs A&M and Auburn since 2010ish and I expect to win those half the time. Yes, they were favored but they are always favored. Historically, Since 2010ish we beat them 50% of the time so
    you're keeping pace there.

Argument: it will hurt recruiting

Rebuttal: you could step that up too.

Note: I believe we're heading in the right direction but sometimes you need to draw the line.

vCash
    You are wrong.

You can't expect to beat Ole Miss every year. I can expect the delivery man to give me $100 every day. Doesn't mean it's going to happen or should happen or is reasonable. You can expect to beat a Memphis every year. I'm cool with that. But even the elite teams don't win their rivalry game every year. So expecting that is ridiculous.

Leach gets an extension because he's shown improvement and beat 3 ranked teams. Recruiting is in a good spot and he's changed the culture to one that consistently competes and never quits. We have a tough football program right now and that's directly related to Mike Leach.

He gets an extension.

vCash
    Every retained head coach should always get an extension. You don't send a public message of unconfidence like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Every retained head coach should always get an extension. You don't send a public message of unconfidence like that.
    Exactly. The 4 year ms limit already works against us enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randolph Dupree View Post

If I'm Cohen I don't give Leach an extension. Reason being, I expect to beat (teams like) Memphis every year. I expect to beat Mississippi every year.

The argument: but we beat A&M and Auburn (I expect to beat UK BTW) this year as upsets.

Rebuttal: we are 50/50 vs A&M and Auburn since 2010ish and I expect to win those half the time. Yes, they were favored but they are always favored. Historically, Since 2010ish we beat them 50% of the time so

Note: I believe we're heading in the right direction but sometimes you need to draw the line.
    Pretty dumb post tbh. We got straight cheated out of the Memphis game and we dropped 3 touchdown passes and missed 2 field goals tonight. Not to mention lashley forgot how to block.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    You are wrong.

You can't expect to beat Ole Miss every year. I can expect the delivery man to give me $100 every day. Doesn't mean it's going to happen or should happen or is reasonable. You can expect to beat a Memphis every year. I'm cool with that. But even the elite teams don't win their rivalry game every year. So expecting that is ridiculous.

Leach gets an extension because he's shown improvement and beat 3 ranked teams. Recruiting is in a good spot and he's changed the culture to one that consistently competes and never quits. We have a tough football program right now and that's directly related to Mike Leach.

He gets an extension.
    I don't realistically expect to win against UM every year, not even every other year; but you need to build up some credit first. Leach hasn't done that. I do agree that everything is headed in the right direction but there a lot of work to in recruiting (I think we get there)...I believe you need to set expectations and money talks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigplayslay View Post
    Pretty dumb post tbh. We got straight cheated out of the Memphis game and we dropped 3 touchdown passes and missed 2 field goals tonight. Not to mention lashley forgot how to block.
    Lashley hasn't blocked all year and is a penalty machine, but he's the best we have there. Can't leave Memphis up to the refs.

vCash
    I don't realistically expect to win against UM every year, not even every other year; but you need to build up some credit first. Leach hasn't done that. I do agree that everything is headed in the right direction but there a lot of work to in recruiting (I think we get there)...I believe you need to set expectations and money talks.
    If this game meant as much as you think it does, Moorhead would still be our coach.

What our program looks like in its entirety is far more important.

Leach in 2 years took the mess Moorhead left us and has turned us into a program that has 3 ranked wins, went undefeated on the road in the SEC, has a team that refuses to quit, and is winning recruiting battles. Plus his sophomore Qb just rewrote every passing record in our school's history and will have him 2nd all time in passing yards in a season in the SEC.

Dude proved it can work here and has a program that's tough and competes every week. It's going to take more than 2 years to undo what Moorhead did. But Leach ha done a hell of a job getting it to where it needs to be. We were picked by basics every major publication to finish last in the west and we played a game tonight that would have given us 2nd place.

Did we mess up this year? Sure. Hopefully we learn from it and see changes in the right spots. But the future is bright under Leach.

vCash
    What do you do If Leach looses to om 4 straight years?????

vCash
    Lashley hasn't blocked all year and is a penalty machine, but he's the best we have there. Can't leave Memphis up to the refs.
    So we?re gonna sit here and act like any other coach we?ve had or could get would come back from 28-3 and beat a ranked A&M team on the road easily? Come on.

vCash
    If this game meant as much as you think it does, Moorhead would still be our coach.

Leach in 2 years took the mess Moorhead left us and has turned us into a program that has 3 ranked wins, went undefeated on the road in the SEC, has a team that refuses to quit, and is winning recruiting battles. Plus his sophomore Qb just rewrote every passing record in our school's history and will have him 2nd all time in passing yards in a season in the SEC.

Dude proved it can work here and has a program that's tough and competes every week. It's going to take more than 2 years to undo what Moorhead did. But Leach ha done a hell of a job getting it to where it needs to be. We were picked by basics every major publication to finish last in the west and we played a game tonight that would have given us 2nd place.

Did we mess up this year? Sure. Hopefully we learn from it and see changes in the right spots. But the future is bright under Leach.
    We weren?t undefeated on the road btw

vCash

Go to bed fool

vCash
    I'm not a huge Leach homer like some, but he should get an extension. We improved enough to warrant that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lastmajordog View Post
    What do you do If Leach looses to om 4 straight years?????
    Depends on what happens in the other 48 games

vCash

Dude, we're picked last every year. Yea we messed up, I'm not saying dude didn't do a decent
    Job. What I'm saying is for $5M leach needs to step it up and win what he's supposed to and pull an upset here or there. ...Pretty much what we hired him to do. Not saying you fire him. Hell, LSU sucks ass this year, not penalizing him for losing that...

vCash
    I?m not a big fan of Leach, but if he?s not being fired, WE need him to be extended unless you want a lame duck HC out there losing recruiting battles.

vCash
    You are wrong.

He gets an extension.
    I wouldn't. I agree we can't expect to beat UM EVERY year. But he has YET to beat them. We can't fire him this year, but you DAMN sure don't reward him for having NEVER beaten the Confederate bastards. He should NEVER get an extension till he beats them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    I?m not a big fan of Leach, but if he?s not being fired, WE need him to be extended unless you want a lame duck HC out there losing recruiting battles.
    If he never beats them we are going to lose those battles anyway. I don't think, given his quotes and demeanor this week and on the sidelines tonight, he really cares one way or another. We are his retirement income.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I wouldn't. I agree we can't expect to beat UM EVERY year. But he has YET to beat them. We can't fire him this year, but you DAMN sure don't reward him for having NEVER beaten the Confederate bastards. He should NEVER get an extension till he beats them.
    This is such a bad take. So if he goes 9-3 or 10-2 with a loss to them, no extension? We fire him? Because we were about 6 points away from that being a reality this year.

The amount of ridiculousness that pops up after losses is mind blowing. If we go 5-7 next year but beat Ole Miss, will that make you happier?

People calling for him to never get an extension until he beats Ole Miss have zero clue about how this stuff works. Yeah let's set a precedent! That will teach him to value this game more! Yeah no extension unless you win this game!

I would take 10-2 every year for the next 5 years with Egg Bowl losses every year than 7-5 or 8-4 and we win some Egg Bowls. This game is important, but it's not nearly as important as some of y'all are making it out to be.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    These aren?t excuses, but the two egg losses have caveats. We had 40 players last year. The sharks had an all time team this year with first round QB and we still could have beat them. Now, if nothing funny happens next years with injuries or such, we should expect to beat OM