Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: That?s 0-2 Pirate

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    Oregon did not have Chris Petersen as coach, they had morons like Willie Taggert. Oregon did not have the power run game offense, or the NFL talent on the D line UW did, nor the secondary. You know not what you speak.
    Taggart was HC for Oregon for only one of those loses (WSU wins) and Oregon was 7-6 that year. That same year UW was 9-4. So wasn't like Leach was playing the Seahawks. Also, for another two seasons in which WSU had wins over Oregon. Oregon had the same record as UW those particular years.

Also, Leach was 2-2 v USC in years that he was 0-4 vs UW.

vCash
    You're losing 3 on the OL. Sharp, Lashley and Cross (HUGE loss). We could very well be worse next year offensively with those losses. It's a distinct possibility.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Taggart was HC for Oregon for only one of those loses (WSU wins) and Oregon was 7-6 that year. That same year UW was 9-4. So wasn't like Leach was playing the Seahawks. Also, for another two seasons in which WSU had wins over Oregon. Oregon had the same record as UW those particular years.

Also, Leach was 2-2 v USC in years that he was 0-4 vs UW.
    Oregon never had good coaching while leach was at WSU. That is the point. I’m not looking up Wikipedia stats, I don’t need to, I watched every game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MBDawg601 View Post
    I'm not sure how Dan corrupted our fan base into unreal expectations, but he did.

Ever since 14' we feel like we should have arrived. We are a top 25 program. We recruit in that range. Finishing any higher is a season over achieved. We have had 3 different coaches in the past 6 years and feel like we should be winning 9-10 games in year 2. Sure, Lane did it. With a team packed with talent and a Heisman candidate qb, but they didn't do it convincingly and had close games that fell their way. We had close games that did not go our way. It's football, but this perception that we are struggling and need to discuss change is ridiculous. We over achieved this year, whether you want to admit it or not.

Instead of being optimistic about next year and excited about our progress we want to talk shit about our team and create false narratives that Leach doesn't care about rivalries. This entire year has been nothing but wishy washy, toxic fans on this board. Read some of the game threads. It is comical how fast some of you are quick to write Leach and this team off.

My question is, how did we get to this point? Why would you expect to win 9-10 games in year 1.5, playing in the TOUGHEST division in all of college football? How is that realistic expectations? If this is year 4-5. I could agree, we should expect more consistency and higher ceilings.
    This exactly. Well put! If someone can?t see a year 0 to year 1 improvement this year they are just being unreasonable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    You're losing 3 on the OL. Sharp, Lashley and Cross (HUGE loss). We could very well be worse next year offensively with those losses. It's a distinct possibility.
    This can not be understated. Agree 100%
    Like button push 👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MBDawg601 View Post
    I'm not sure how Dan corrupted our fan base into unreal expectations, but he did.

Ever since 14' we feel like we should have arrived. We are a top 25 program. We recruit in that range. Finishing any higher is a season over achieved. We have had 3 different coaches in the past 6 years and feel like we should be winning 9-10 games in year 2. Sure, Lane did it. With a team packed with talent and a Heisman candidate qb, but they didn't do it convincingly and had close games that fell their way. We had close games that did not go our way. It's football, but this perception that we are struggling and need to discuss change is ridiculous. We over achieved this year, whether you want to admit it or not.

Instead of being optimistic about next year and excited about our progress we want to talk shit about our team and create false narratives that Leach doesn't care about rivalries. This entire year has been nothing but wishy washy, toxic fans on this board. Read some of the game threads. It is comical how fast some of you are quick to write Leach and this team off.

My question is, how did we get to this point? Why would you expect to win 9-10 games in year 1.5, playing in the TOUGHEST division in all of college football? How is that realistic expectations? If this is year 4-5. I could agree, we should expect more consistency and higher ceilings.
    Good post

Really to make a good comparison to the sec west is when leach was in the old big 12 south. I believe it was UT, OU, TAMU and OSU.....which was for several years the toughest division in college football IMO....back when OU and UT were really good.

Despite tech being the little brother in that division, they were in the thick of it every year.

He will have State very competitive in the sec west if he?s given time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    This exactly. Well put! If someone can?t see a year 0 to year 1 improvement this year they are just being unreasonable.
    This is explainable. When you take a program that is winning- albeit not winning big- and tear it down, you may likely perform at a lesser level than what they have become accustomed to. When this occurs, getting back to said level of previous performance doesn?t really feel like improvement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    We had 6 points going into the 4th Quarter in a rivalry game At Home. Our offense is something, but prolific isn't the word that comes to mind.
    And multiple MULTIPLE dropped passes for td?s. Wide ass open no coverage passes dropped. 14 points worth in fact. What?s the final score then? Dropped by a bunch of freshmen and sophomores. Many playing in their first live crowd rivalry game ever in their first real season of college football ever.

vCash
    And the no improvement crowd? Come on!

3 regular season wins to 7 regular season wins with some ****ed up refs keeping us from 9 wins in the regular season.
    2020: mid 90’s on overall offense. 2021: #23
    2020: #20 is passing offense. 2021: #3

Again, some of you are missing the forest for the trees here. Ole Miss beating us and being good this year makes it suck but it is what it is. Our time is coming and it’s something that will be sustainable success.

With that said I EXPECT further improvement next year. If we get to the end of 2022 with 6-7 wins and a loss to Ole Miss again then we start looking to make a change.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    And multiple MULTIPLE dropped passes for td?s. Wide ass open no coverage passes dropped. 14 points worth in fact. What?s the final score then? Dropped by a bunch of freshmen and sophomores. Many playing in their first live crowd rivalry game ever in their first real season of college football ever.
    Plus two missed field goals , one a chip shot.

It’s been a hard luck year, but anybody who can’t see the potential and the 8mprovement has blinders on.

I think the power run game fans, and they were at tech and WSU too...will take another year or two to get won over.

You have to see the air raid as an equalizer for less talented teams to beat more talented teams.....that’s what it is. Power run game is man on man talent on talent and State is never going to beat Alabama and LSU with talent. They have and will,slay some giants with the air raid though.

vCash
    Oregon never had good coaching while leach was at WSU. That is the point. I’m not looking up Wikipedia stats, I don’t need to, I watched every game.
    The point of this thread was...Leach v Rivals. People try to explain it away as the Apple Cup is the Seatle Seahawks v the SLU muddogs. The explanation is little brother syndrome was in affect for years in the Apple Cup and again last night.

vCash
    The people with money and influence care a lot about the egg bowl. If he goes 0-3, he's gone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ImissCityBagel View Post
    The people with money and influence care a lot about the egg bowl. If he goes 0-3, he's gone.
    Unless it’s an 11-1 season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    The point of this thread was...Leach v Rivals. People try to explain it away as the Apple Cup is the Seatle Seahawks v the SLU muddogs. The explanation is little brother syndrome was in affect for years in the Apple Cup and again last night.
    Not sure what you are getting at. UW did have a huge talent advantage over WSU for many years. Chris Petersen was a very good coach. The UW dl and secondary had a lot of nfl talent. That’s the truth.

Ironically, Jimmy lake was a disastrous hire and UW is circling the drain thanks to their AD Jen Cohen. WSU is mediocre but has enough leach players they are still decent without a head coach. They will beat UW tonight and a lot of mouth breather morons will say “look we beat our rival cuz leach isn’t here and he couldn’t win it”. Lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ImissCityBagel View Post
    Wrong. It would depend on how good we are in the rest of the season, and how good Ole Miss is next year.

(And it's still unlikely that he's fired even if we and Ole Miss are both bad next year. We'd have to have 3 or 4 wins at the most for it to even be in the discussion, and it's still pretty likely he'd get a Year 4.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I agree. Leach is the type of guy that can satisfy a huge portion of the fan base by winning 6-8 games and upsetting someone every year.....and then you look up in 5-7 years and your bowl streak is still going but you are further away from the elite teams than you've been in 2 decades.
    How close have we been to the elite teams in last 2 decades? Very far from the elites for most part. 2014 and 2018 were our only shots. The problem is if we were to get another coach that produced 2014 & 2017 they would be bolting for greener pastures just like Mullen did. And assistants are the same way too ... just look at 2019 when Saban came in and stole 2 of JoMo's top assistants. Leach's staff (with exception of Arnett) been with him a long time and staff continuity matters.

We're historically a 6 to 8 win team. Everyone throwing out 10 wins ... we've only done that like 3 times in our whole history. The question is ... how do you get there?

Mullen was 6 to 8 and won most all the games he was supposed to with a very rare South Alabama but quite a few close calls against similar teams. But he almost never had a win over a ranked opponent. And he was always shopping during his good years to go somewhere else and losing to OM in those years.

Jackie was mostly 7 to 8 win team (11 game seasons) most years during his heyday (excluding last 3 very bad years). He did same as Leach tho ... upset some very good team's then lay an egg next week in game we should easily win. He wasn't always shopping to go somewhere else tho.

I think Leach will be more of a Jackie type coach in wins/losses and be here till he retires more than likely. We can certainly go get a coach that gets us to Mullen level (and also RTDFB) while shopping themselves around all the time (and their staff doing same thing). But then we're turning over coaches and/or assistants every time we get to a couple of 9 or 10 win season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    How close have we been to the elite teams in last 2 decades? Very far from the elites for most part. 2014 and 2018 were our only shots. The problem is if we were to get another coach that produced 2014 & 2017 they would be bolting for greener pastures just like Mullen did. And assistants are the same way too ... just look at 2019 when Saban came in and stole 2 of JoMo's top assistants. Leach's staff (with exception of Arnett) been with him a long time and staff continuity matters.

We're historically a 6 to 8 win team. Everyone throwing out 10 wins ... we've only done that like 3 times in our whole history. The question is ... how do you get there?

Mullen was 6 to 8 and won most all the games he was supposed to with a very rare South Alabama but quite a few close calls against similar teams. But he almost never had a win over a ranked opponent. And he was always shopping during his good years to go somewhere else and losing to OM in those years.

Jackie was mostly 7 to 8 win team (11 game seasons) most years during his heyday (excluding last 3 very bad years). He did same as Leach tho ... upset some very good team's then lay an egg next week in game we should easily win. He wasn't always shopping to go somewhere else tho.

I think Leach will be more of a Jackie type coach in wins/losses and be here till he retires more than likely. We can certainly go get a coach that gets us to Mullen level (and also RTDFB) while shopping themselves around all the time (and their staff doing same thing). But then we're turning over coaches and/or assistants every time we get to a couple of 9 or 10 win season.
    So, date the ugly chic because you know no one else wants her?😵*💫😵

vCash
    The question is, when you get a coach that can win 9-10 games, does he leave for a blue blood. Leach will not leave till he retires IMO. You have to have continuity if you are going to build a winning,program. I would say Leach will hit his stride in years 3 through 5.

Let’s see his freshman as seniors, his players who were recruited for his system. I’ve seen this play out before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    So, date the ugly chic because you know no one else wants her?��*����
    1st ... that's kinda reality.
    2nd ... I'm not sure Leach is the "ugly chick" yet myself.
    3rd ... looking across the landscape I don't see a Dabo Swinney that is available to come here.

And that's what we need is a Dabo Swinney that wants to come, build something, and stay. But Clemson stuck with him for 5 or so pretty turbulent years when he had some down times to get to where they are now. Our fan base thinks we should win 8 to 10 with a brand new coach and if he ain't doing 9 or 10 by his 3rd year he should be fired. And they also think our true Fr and Sophs should play like Bama true Fr and Sophs. Where TF all that comes from I dunno.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 11-26-2021 at 01:48 PM.

vCash
    The question is, when you get a coach that can win 9-10 games, does he leave for a blue blood. Leach will not leave till he retires IMO. You have to have continuity if you are going to build a winning,program. I would say Leach will hit his stride in years 3 through 5.

Let’s see his freshman as seniors, his players who were recruited for his system. I’ve seen this play out before.
    I do think he will probably be here for a while, but as unique as his AirRaid is, where does that put us when he does leave/retire?
    Also, unless we can get an OL up to speed- we are losing a lot this year- we might be worse next year.