Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dumb move by Florida to fire Mullen

vCash
    I can only hate the man so much that gave me my greatest MSU football memory, but karma caught up with him.

I think he'd be a really good fit at TCU. Private school & Megan would love Ft Worth along with Colonial Country Club (The Colonial) being on the backside of campus for his son to play golf at.

At TCU, he can recruit & evaluate the 3 stars while not having to play super crooters
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Mullen is still a good coach. I know why we laughing at him today, and I understand, but he was one of the best things to happen to us, and I don't hate him, and I never will (and I'm pretty sure thats a run on sentence haha)
    I hate the way he acted here and I felt like MSU should have done more to put him in his place instead of just catering to his every whim.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I can only hate the man so much that gave me my greatest MSU football memory, but karma caught up with him.

I think he'd be a really good fit at TCU. Private school & Megan would love Ft Worth along with Colonial Country Club (The Colonial) being on the backside of campus for his son to play golf at.

At TCU, he can recruit & evaluate the 3 stars while not having to play super crooters
    Maybe so, but I think he may need a year off and re-evaluate everything. With $6 million in the bank and $1 million per next 6 years, no need to rush things. Sometimes away from the grind and spend some quality time with family is priceless.

vCash
    Mullen is still a good coach. I know why we laughing at him today, and I understand, but he was one of the best things to happen to us, and I don't hate him, and I never will (and I'm pretty sure thats a run on sentence haha)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

If I were him I would just get out of college altogether. He's not going to get a better college job than Florida. He has nowhere to go but down. He can't recruit and isn't interested in learning how.

If I were in his shoes I would go to the NFL and go from there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I hate the way he acted here and I felt like MSU should have done more to put him in his place instead of just catering to his every whim.
    Yep and it caught up with him at UF and they didn't put up with it. You would think he would have known what the expectations of the Bull Gators were.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Dan quit on the team and they quit on him. Watch his pressers over the last few weeks, he wouldn't even look up just stared at the podium and gave incoherent answers. He was done. He fired himself.
    Yes, he knew that the end was near as a Gator head coach.
    Last edited by Gypsy_RoadDawg; 11-21-2021 at 07:19 PM.

vCash
    I've never said he isn't a good coach. I've always said when Dan wants to coach, he can really coach. His problem is he gets distracted with the other things all that money can buy, and he tends to rest on his laurels. And with us, when other programs started showing interest in him during his good years, he just basically checked out at the end of the season. Our best teams under him lost to OM every year, even when we were big favorites. Dan is a good underdog coach.

Dan can develop players pretty well. Maybe as good as almost anyone in the country. But he also benefitted at MSU from a lot of untapped, raw, under-the-radar talent in a 200 mile radius. And he could develop them. Washington & WSU don't have that. If Leach couldn't "own" the Pac12 at WSU then Mullen damn sure couldn't.

And now I'm realizing just how poor his WRs really were, albeit they weren't horrible but we got WRs now that are way ahead of anything he ever produced. And, with the exception of Dak, a QB too, although he does usually develop college QBs pretty good.

Dan also has never tried (or won't) address and improve his deficiencies like; recruiting, 2-min drill/clock mgt (he's horrible at it), winning big games against top-ranked opponents, winning SEC road games (one of his all time favorite excuses for losing a game), throwing DCs under the bus when he loses, etc. Seems like we may have upgraded significantly across the whole board there with Leach. We'll see on recruiting tho.

ETA: I honestly thought he'd do well at FL. He should've been able to recruit more easily to a higher level, albeit not Bama or UGA level, but then I thought he'd develop the higher level talent to maybe compete with those 2 if he could get over the Saban/Kirby mental block he had. He did that last year with Kirby but then he does what he always does after a good year, relax and enjoy that money mo.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 11-21-2021 at 07:30 PM.

vCash
    If I were Washington st, I'd put the full press on mullen. I think mullen would do a great job there
    If I were LSU

vCash
    Actually- firing a coach is expensive. In the Mullen case, 12M.

Except he has job prospects still, they may not pay much of that 12M if Washington Huskies hire him this month.

It just seems like a bad fit with Florida. Reputation is still ok and his MSU record is still impressive. If you fire a guy and he can quickly get a job, it seems like a easy Win Win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeDawg15 View Post
    Agreed

I thank Dan for building a bowl eligible team but Dak Prescott made us #1 in 2014 and nobody EVER should forget that.

If Dak left after 14, MSU wouldve been 4-8 or 5-7 at best. He went 9-4 with that team. That is how good dak prescott was.

Dan couldnt keep a defensive coordinator at msu to save his damn life
    The offensive line that Dan trotted out in 2015 was embarrassing. Any QB other than Dak we win 5 that year I agree.

vCash
    Same here. Wish he would have stayed for 2018 that is the only thing that pissed me off. If he really wanted to win a championship with a team he built from scratch, that was his chance.

vCash
    I normally hate to see anyone fired, but when you make $12mil on the way out....F him.

vCash
    He honestly may just be burnt out

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    He honestly may just be burnt out
    You know what, those were my thoughts too. He just acts like he doesn't care about anything. Maybe something else is going on with him right now. Don't know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I normally hate to see anyone fired, but when you make $12mil on the way out....F him.
    Yeah that 12 mill kinda softens the blow doesn't it! You could fire me today and give me 12 mill and I'd be a happy man lol!

vCash
    Yeah that 12 mill kinda softens the blow doesn't it! You could fire me today and give me 12 mill and I'd be a happy man lol!
    Yes Lord!

vCash
    It was inevitable. Schools like Florida won?t ride it out hoping for the best. It?s win and keep winning. This season was a total debacle. Really was no other option

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Maybe so, but I think he may need a year off and re-evaluate everything. With $6 million in the bank and $1 million per next 6 years, no need to rush things. Sometimes away from the grind and spend some quality time with family is priceless.
    It's what I'd do. I'd take a year off relax and enjoy being with my family and see if I still had the drive to do it again or just go into broadcasting lol

vCash
    It's what I'd do. I'd take a year off relax and enjoy being with my family and see if I still had the drive to do it again or just go into broadcasting lol
    Can't see DM as a broadcaster. His reputation has taken a hit and re grouping and getting new ideas going forward would help him. The way coaches get fired now days, there will be jobs available every year. I know one thing, if or when he gets back into Coaching, I bet he want ask many on his staff to sign up.

But being around his family would really help and maybe see he needs to be more humble and learn from mistakes. Your family can help big time in this.

vCash
    Putting recruiting on the backseat and when asked about it either trying to change the subject or playing it down was a major part of his downfall at UF. FL expects to be up there with the Bama's and GA's and not allow those schools to come into the State of FL and get basically anybody they wanted. Also some wanted Grantham gone after last year. Spurrier even said that the major problem with FL's losses this year was that they could not tackle.