Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gene Chizik on defending the air raid

vCash

Gene Chizik on defending the air raid

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000542219444

Starts around the 5:00 mark. Thought it was interesting.

vCash
    If our OL blocks, the offense is unstoppable.

Look for Ole Miss to come after Will. He’ll have to think quick and rip it to wide open guys
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

Look for Ole Miss to come after Will. He’ll have to think quick and rip it to wide open guys
    What should scare the SEC is we are still learning this offense. when Leach brings in NFL type wideouts like he had in Crabtree at TT LOOK OUT. Will is getting better and better every game. I felt from the very start this was a good coaching hire and now we are starting to see it

vCash

If they bring pressure(which they'll have to try cause their secondary isn't very good), Will, will dissect them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    If they bring pressure(which they'll have to try cause their secondary isn't very good), Will, will dissect them.
    We gotta come out firing. I know we can come back if down, but I don't want to keep falling behind.

We always come out tentative & scared to make mistakes. For the same reasons that we're capable of coming back, I want to Will out slanging it. If he throws an INT, who cares? Just come out firing.

If we do that, I think we can put a 40 burger & that should win it.

vCash
    I sincerely hope they bring pressure. Will will be firing it to Williams, Walley, and Ford on crossing routes right past Chance Campbell?s right ear and when we get tired of that we can just let Heath and Polk go torch their crap secondary. So please Durkin I am begging you, BRING PRESSURE. That record Costello set will look small compared to what Will can do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I sincerely hope they bring pressure. Will will be firing it to Williams, Walley, and Ford on crossing routes right past Chance Campbell?s right ear and when we get tired of that we can just let Heath and Polk go torch their crap secondary. So please Durkin I am begging you, BRING PRESSURE. That record Costello set will look small compared to what Will can do.
    How would you defend our offense?

vCash
    Chizik knows what he is talking about.

That was a good listen and really portends well for the future. Back when leach almost got the Tennessee job I remember thinking if he ever gets sec caliber four and five star athletes to run this air raid , he might be hell on wheels.

vCash
    We gotta come out firing. I know we can come back if down, but I don't want to keep falling behind.

We always come out tentative & scared to make mistakes. For the same reasons that we're capable of coming back, I want to Will out slanging it. If he throws an INT, who cares? Just come out firing.

If we do that, I think we can put a 40 burger & that should win it.
    I agree. I hate the slow starts. Some teams develop an identity through the season(I.e. start fast, finish hard,etc) and we may have that identity of if you get us you have to get us early, almost like a starting pitcher who gets stronger as the game goes on. I do hate the slow starts though lol.

vCash
    Listening to them talk about Oregon, how the 17 was Moorehead not successful here?!

vCash
    I like Chizik. I imagine he liked being able to dig the knife into Auburn too lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post
    Listening to them talk about Oregon, how the 17 was Moorehead not successful here?!
    He would have been.... as an OC.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post
    Like I think Cohen said. He wasn't a good fit. He was too laid back and the players walked all over him.

vCash
    Hell, if Arnette leaves, hire Chiz for D coordinator…

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    Hell, if Arnette leaves, hire Chiz for D coordinator…
    NO!

vCash
    I agree. I hate the slow starts. Some teams develop an identity through the season(I.e. start fast, finish hard,etc) and we may have that identity of if you get us you have to get us early, almost like a starting pitcher who gets stronger as the game goes on. I do hate the slow starts though lol.
    I do not think the slow starts are due to mentality. I think early in the game defenses close down passing windows and fly to the ball. Then Leach and Rogers run them all over the field for a couple of hours, The linebackers and defensive backs are chasing guys all over the field.

Defending a ball control offense that uses 4 yard runs the defense keeps everything in front of them. This ball control offense demands that they cover the whole field every play.

Also, as Chizik mentions it forces defenses out of their preferred identity and players into unfamiliar roles. You see linebackers almost exclusively dropping into coverage or forcing starting linebackers off the field in favor of reserve defensive backs. And then Leach mixes in the run on them.

Bama was less affected because they can get pressure with just defensive linemen and because they are 2-3 deep at every position. Less sustained drives and more ability to rotate negate some of the air raid ball control effects.

vCash

I have been as big a Leach guy as there can be over the past year or so

Look for Ole Miss to come after Will. He?ll have to think quick and rip it to wide open guys
    I have been as big a Leach guy as anyone.

There is one thing, you cannot win without players.

Mississippi State has never been a place that got the top talent. I think he can attract RBs WRs & QBs but will he get the Defense and OLine players here on a consistent basis for this thing to work? The OL that can block SEC defenses will be the key to this whole thing to me. Even if it's just one once every 3-4 years for that magical season that contends, I am good for it so long as it doesn't go to trash on the down years. It would be great though to get the top 20 classes to make it more consistent.

The stuff I was worried about his offense causing issues for the defense seems to be answered at least schematically. He doesn't play hurry up and his offense is not a 3 and out machine. If the best defense against his teams is the drop 8 thingy then our defense should have less plays to defend than most teams. DC's love that and we should be able to keep a good one.

So, get the players and keep that red zone offense clicking and we should be in for a nice ride. Leach will have some losses to teams less talented at times when this offense is not running smoothly or has TO's and QB transitioning could be frustrating but the upside is very high.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkerhill View Post
    I do not think the slow starts are due to mentality. I think early in the game defenses close down passing windows and fly to the ball. Then Leach and Rogers run them all over the field for a couple of hours, The linebackers and defensive backs are chasing guys all over the field.

Defending a ball control offense that uses 4 yard runs the defense keeps everything in front of them. This ball control offense demands that they cover the whole field every play.

Also, as Chizik mentions it forces defenses out of their preferred identity and players into unfamiliar roles. You see linebackers almost exclusively dropping into coverage or forcing starting linebackers off the field in favor of reserve defensive backs. And then Leach mixes in the run on them.

Bama was less affected because they can get pressure with just defensive linemen and because they are 2-3 deep at every position. Less sustained drives and more ability to rotate negate some of the air raid ball control effects.
    I think fatigue certainly helps, but we usually take off in the 2nd quarter and fatigue should not have set in by then.

I think one issue we have is that teams don't run their base defense vs us and thus we lack film to properly prepare the game plan.

I think it takes us a few series to figure what they're trying to do on defense

vCash
    As immobile as Will is why not rush 6 and play zone? He?s not going to beat you running.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    As immobile as Will is why not rush 6 and play zone? He?s not going to beat you running.
    Rush 6? That leaves you with 5. To cover 5. Good luck with that zone. We would score 60. Will is getting rid of the ball really quick when people are that open.