Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The arm strength knock

vCash
    I think the criteria for the air raid q b in college is different than what the nfl scouts demand.

Leach got pissed at the nfl scouts when they kept calling him up complaining about Gardner Minshews height. He said “he’s exactly the same height as the nfl’s all time leading passer drew brees.”

Leach also said if the scouts had bothered to watch any film of Minshew they wouldn’t be asking him these questions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    After a strong (wrong) stance for a while, I agree. Will is a great fit for this offense bc he's great at going through progressions and very accurate. He's gonna be a great college qb. I don't think the arm is there for pro, but I've been wrong on him before (haha). Someone on SPS called him Danny Wuerffel, and I think that is an extremely good comparison.
    Something to think about, is that very few quarterbacks going into the draft are efficient at getting through five progressions. Its the reason you're seeing Mac Jones do so well in New England. I honestly feel like Will will be a first round draft pick at some point just based on his smarts, work ethic, and the way he can make it through progressions and now he is starting to throw some guys open. He's got the frame but he needs to add bulk and make his legs more of a threat when needed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    I love Rogers but your post is ridiculous. 1st round pick never. But keep smoking crack.
    Where do Heisman winners get drafted then?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    He'll be a late round guy if he's lucky. He's short and smallish, doesn't run well, and doesn't have the arm talent the NFL looks for. He can be a great college QB and not an NFL guy. He could get drafted late and be a backup guy in the NFL possibly.
    He is going to lead the SEC in nearly every statistical category as a passer and not be on draft boards? He is the equivalent of a redshirt freshman throwing to mostly underclassmen. You will look back on this take one day and realize you missed.

vCash
    The fact that he has proven a MAJORITY of people wrong already should tell you all you need to know about this kid. I would not bet against him. He can single handily knock Corral out of the heisman race on Thursday. Think about that.

vCash
    Matt Corral is tabbed as the top QB in this draft - he's listed at 6'2" 205 lbs. He doesn't progress past his first read on most plays. Will Rogers is listed at 6'2" 210 lbs., is currently the most accurate QB in college football history, will likely be top 5 in career passing yards before he is done, and progresses thru reads at an NFL level.

If Corral goes 1st round there is no reason Will shouldn't. And I'll say this - Corral as a 1st rounder will be a bust. Book it. He's Dollar Store Johnny Manziel.
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 11-21-2021 at 01:13 PM.

vCash
    Will is every bit of 6'2". 210 points. He turned 20 at the start of the season. He will only get bigger. Then idea that he is too short or "smallish" to be an NFL qb is insane. If people don't like the guy, just say so.

He doesn't have a strong arm, but it will only get stronger and won't stop him from being in the nfl if his accuracy and decision making continue on this trajectory.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    Lol you will won't even remember this 3 years from now. And as good as Dak was he was 4th round...but dream on.
    Dak was considered a running QB in a very limiting offense (not an NFL offense). Not even a good comparable there. Rogers is the throwing QB NFL teams want. If you had a guy that was 6?4 230 with Wills arm and stats this year, he would be a top 1-2 rounder this year alone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Will is every bit of 6'2". 210 points. He turned 20 at the start of the season. He will only get bigger. Then idea that he is too short or "smallish" to be an NFL qb is insane. If people don't like the guy, just say so.

He doesn't have a strong arm, but it will only get stronger and won't stop him from being in the nfl if his accuracy and decision making continue on this trajectory.
    It’s the nfl scouts that have ridiculous short sighted physical requirements regardless of talent. Keep in mind Leach has had a lot of really good air raid q bs that put up crazy numbers and the only q b that’s stuck around the n f l was Minshew. Look at Graham Harrell who was a great college q b and a decent athlete.

If Drew Brees graduated college today would he be taken in the first four rounds ? I am not sure . They think he’s too short and his hands are too small. That kind of B S.
    Last edited by WhiskeyPirate; 11-21-2021 at 01:33 PM.

vCash
    Timmy Chang threw for for 17,000 yards in college. Didn't get drafted, was invited to try-outs and got cut. NFL coaches want guys with great physical tools because they think they can teach everything else.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    He'll be a late round guy if he's lucky. He's short and smallish, doesn't run well, and doesn't have the arm talent the NFL looks for. He can be a great college QB and not an NFL guy. He could get drafted late and be a backup guy in the NFL possibly.
    Sounds like a former New orleans QB/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    It’s the nfl scouts that have ridiculous short sighted physical requirements regardless of talent. Keep in mind Leach has had a lot of really good air raid q bs that put up crazy numbers and the only q b that’s stuck around the n f l was Minshew. Look at Graham Harrell who was a great college q b and a decent athlete.

If Drew Brees graduated college today would he be taken in the first four rounds ? I am not sure . They think he’s too short and his hands are too small. That kind of B S.
    Drew brees' arm in college isn't comparable to Rogers'. Drew at 40+ is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Timmy Chang threw for for 17,000 yards in college. Didn't get drafted, was invited to try-outs and got cut. NFL coaches want guys with great physical tools because they think they can teach everything else.
    Timmy Chang would have rode a bench in the SEC. Will is putting up numbers against the best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    When the offense struggled it was merely time needed for will and everyone else to really learn the offense. They are still learning. Part of that for will was confidence and to quickly go through his reads and to quickly get rid of the ball. He is doing that now much much better. I think his ability to run the offense nullifies concerns about arm strength.

Really to be a good air raid q b is much more about mental skills than physical ones.
    This.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Drew brees' arm in college isn't comparable to Rogers'. Drew at 40+ is
    Its about decision making.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    He is going to lead the SEC in nearly every statistical category as a passer and not be on draft boards? He is the equivalent of a redshirt freshman throwing to mostly underclassmen. You will look back on this take one day and realize you missed.
    And none of that matters to the NFL. Measurables matter in the NFL. That's why they have a combine and do school workouts. Look where the last QB from Brandon got drafted and what he's doing. Similar situation. If he had a big arm and was bigger it would be different.

vCash
    And none of that matters to the NFL. Measurables matter in the NFL. That's why they have a combine and do school workouts. Look where the last QB from Brandon got drafted and what he's doing. Similar situation. If he had a big arm and was bigger it would be different.
    Yes - you are talking about the guy that couldn't find a starting job in the SEC right?? Different level

vCash
    Yes - you are talking about the guy that couldn't find a starting job in the SEC right?? Different level
    And had Leach been here and taken him, he'd have put up huge numbers here too. But the NFL isn't college ball. It's way beyond. So he's a back up in the NFL and was a fifth round pick. You're proving my point.

vCash
    And had Leach been here and taken him, he'd have put up huge numbers here too. But the NFL isn't college ball. It's way beyond. So he's a back up in the NFL and was a fifth round pick. You're proving my point.
    KJ Costello would say otherwise. Big numbers in the pac 12 don't mean anything here. The kid completely took over a game at Auburn against a solid defense and scored 40 unanswered. I would argue that leach had never had a QB that could do that.

vCash
    KJ Costello would say otherwise. Big numbers in the pac 12 don't mean anything here. The kid completely took over a game at Auburn against a solid defense and scored 40 unanswered. I would argue that leach had never had a QB that could do that.
    Did you watch WSU? He's literally the comparison. But he has a bigger arm than Will. Both are system guys to a point. And you realize Costello holds the SEC record for passing in a game right? And a gazillion concussions and no spring to work in an offense he'd never run. Will can get drafted, he's never going to be a high draft pick. Remind me, did Costello get drafted? Even with his great numbers in college overall?