Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The arm strength knock

vCash

The arm strength knock

Guys I don't see it - not saying he has a canon - but go watch that 50 harder to Polk yesterday - will through a perfect ball with very little effort. It's honestly a thing of beauty. I think we will see more zip on the ball as he matures and strengthens as well.

vCash
    It was the one narrative people could still hold on to when they weren’t wanting to give Will his proper respect.

To think, this kid grew up in an Ole Miss home and he was there’s for the taking. Now he hates said team and is going to obliterate every passing record we ever had here and could quite possibly do the same thing to the SEC records.

Simply amazing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    It was the one narrative people could still hold on to when they weren’t wanting to give Will his proper respect.

To think, this kid grew up in an Ole Miss home and he was there’s for the taking. Now he hates said team and is going to obliterate every passing record we ever had here and could quite possibly do the same thing to the SEC records.

Simply amazing
    He wasn't playing for Rich Rod.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    He is in the offense he needs to be running.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    He is in the offense he needs to be running.
    After a strong (wrong) stance for a while, I agree. Will is a great fit for this offense bc he's great at going through progressions and very accurate. He's gonna be a great college qb. I don't think the arm is there for pro, but I've been wrong on him before (haha). Someone on SPS called him Danny Wuerffel, and I think that is an extremely good comparison.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    After a strong (wrong) stance for a while, I agree. Will is a great fit for this offense bc he's great at going through progressions and very accurate. He's gonna be a great college qb. I don't think the arm is there for pro, but I've been wrong on him before (haha). Someone on SPS called him Danny Wuerffel, and I think that is an extremely good comparison.
    Let's hope because if he progresses at all next year he will be a draft risk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Let's hope because if he progresses at all next year he will be a draft risk
    He's not a draft risk at all

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Something to think about, is that very few quarterbacks going into the draft are efficient at getting through five progressions. Its the reason you're seeing Mac Jones do so well in New England. I honestly feel like Will will be a first round draft pick at some point just based on his smarts, work ethic, and the way he can make it through progressions and now he is starting to throw some guys open. He's got the frame but he needs to add bulk and make his legs more of a threat when needed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Something to think about, is that very few quarterbacks going into the draft are efficient at getting through five progressions. Its the reason you're seeing Mac Jones do so well in New England. I honestly feel like Will will be a first round draft pick at some point just based on his smarts, work ethic, and the way he can make it through progressions and now he is starting to throw some guys open. He's got the frame but he needs to add bulk and make his legs more of a threat when needed.
    He'll be a late round guy if he's lucky. He's short and smallish, doesn't run well, and doesn't have the arm talent the NFL looks for. He can be a great college QB and not an NFL guy. He could get drafted late and be a backup guy in the NFL possibly.

Banned
    vCash
    He's already shown the talents that I saw out of Dak in his senior year that made me believe he could be an NFL QB if given the chance. They say the progression reading is coachable but he does it so well. Listed at 6'2", his height is not a problem. He needs 10-15 lbs of muscle to survive an NFL season. Which is entirely doable. Next year he'll have to prove he can do it with not as good of an offensive line like Dak did his senior year.

He's definitely trending towards a mid-round pick right now. Another great year, body size improved and that trends even more upward. He's got the intangibles to be great, it's just convincing the NFL that his tangibles are sufficient to be the guy for their organization.

Right now, if I had to pick 32 people in America to be my QB for the next 10+ years in the NFL... Will, in my obviously biased take, is in the 25-35 range. Which means to a neutral observer he's probably 40-60 range. Good enough for a backup role with room for improvement.

vCash
    How old is Will? He is still going to get bigger and stronger and his arm strength will improve. Especially when he is throwing it AT LEAST 2500 balls a week in practice and in games

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    How old is Will? He is still going to get bigger and stronger and his arm strength will improve. Especially when he is throwing it AT LEAST 2500 balls a week in practice and in games
    Has Leach asked Lemo for the names of some good Tommy John Drs? I'm always amazed that throwing a baseball messes up both the shoulder and the elbow and the wrist in greater rates than throwing a football messes up all those combined.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    He'll be a late round guy if he's lucky. He's short and smallish, doesn't run well, and doesn't have the arm talent the NFL looks for. He can be a great college QB and not an NFL guy. He could get drafted late and be a backup guy in the NFL possibly.
    This is such a tired excuse. He is too small, yet the comparison to Mac Jones there is a 1 one inch difference. Drew Brees 2 inches shorter than Will. Kirk Cousins 1 inch taller. Kyler Murray 4 inches shorter although a runner. Mahomes same size. Jimmy G 1 inch difference. Russel Wilson 2 inches shorter. The list goes on and on. A 6 foot 2 QB is an NFL size QB. Especially if he sees the field and makes the throws. Give him another year of completing over 80 percent of his passes and in top 5 total passing yardage and he will indeed be a draft risk. Those of you saying he won?t be were the same ones saying Sawyer was going to take his spot.

I just don?t get why you are so hesitant to get behind this kid. He is a winner and a baller. Not to mention a hell of a QB. If you don?t think the NFL teams don?t want him then you had best stick to your day job, because NFL talent evaluator just doesn?t look good on you.

If you think Sean Peyton, Tomlin, Rhule,Vrabel, Dude in Detroit if he still has a job,Jets,he’ll even in TB, still needs a QB and Rogers is there and available in 22 or 23 he is gone. Peyton and other coaches have learned the lesson on waiting on QB see Mahomes and Jones.

Will Rogers if staying on current trajectory WILL BE a Round One pick and a starter in the NFL before Sawyer Robertson is a starter at M State in football.
    Last edited by SilentSteel16; 11-21-2021 at 12:17 PM.

vCash
    When the offense struggled it was merely time needed for will and everyone else to really learn the offense. They are still learning. Part of that for will was confidence and to quickly go through his reads and to quickly get rid of the ball. He is doing that now much much better. I think his ability to run the offense nullifies concerns about arm strength.

Really to be a good air raid q b is much more about mental skills than physical ones.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSteel16 View Post
    This is such a tired excuse. He is too small, yet the comparison to Mac Jones there is a 1 one inch difference. Drew Brees 2 inches shorter than Will. Kirk Cousins 1 inch taller. Kyler Murray 4 inches shorter although a runner. Mahomes same size. Jimmy G 1 inch difference. Russel Wilson 2 inches shorter. The list goes on and on. A 6 foot 2 QB is an NFL size QB. Especially if he sees the field and makes the throws. Give him another year of completing over 80 percent of his passes and in top 5 total passing yardage and he will indeed be a draft risk. Those of you saying he won?t be were the same ones saying Sawyer was going to take his spot.

I just don?t get why you are so hesitant to get behind this kid. He is a winner and a baller. Not to mention a hell of a QB. If you don?t think the NFL teams don?t want him then you had best stick to your day job, because NFL talent evaluator just doesn?t look good on you.

If you think Sean Peyton still needs a QB and Rogers is there and available in 22 or 23 he is gone. Peyton and other coaches have learned the lesson on waiting on QB see Mahomes and Jones.

Will Rogers if staying on current trajectory WILL BE a Round One pick and a starter in the NFL before Sawyer Robertson is a starter at M State in football.
    I love Rogers but your post is ridiculous. 1st round pick never. But keep smoking crack.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    I love Rogers but your post is ridiculous. 1st round pick never. But keep smoking crack.
    If Rogers stays on his current trajectory and keeps progressing he will be a top 32 pick when he declares. Could be 23 or 24 depending on when he decides he wants to. Plus if he stays and State wins because we are indeed getting better more publicity and his stats will get him there. Plus he says all the right things and I do not believe he is much of a character risk off the field.

IF that is all true stated above, YES he will be a top 32 pick.

Care to make a ban bet on this one?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Has Leach asked Lemo for the names of some good Tommy John Drs? I'm always amazed that throwing a baseball messes up both the shoulder and the elbow and the wrist in greater rates than throwing a football messes up all those combined.
    It is a little less stressful on the arm throwing a football and also you’re not throwing it as hard as you can. True story, I went back to finish school at 29 and was a QB player/coach for Hal Mumme at Belhaven. Thought I was in great shape but tore my labrum and rotator cuff about halfway through my first spring training. It was really hurting but didn’t want to seem like a ***** so went another couple of months until I could barely throw it 15 yards and went and had surgery. We threw a minimum 400 passes a day I kid you not. Great experience though.

vCash
    Gotta keep in mind the improvements Dak has made during the off season also. If Will gets drafted there are numerous programs available to help him build himself into a better QB.

vCash
    The NFL wants a guy that is 6'5" 240 runs a 4.4 and has the same mental traits as Joe Montana. Not sure that human exists.

In my opinion it seems like it's better to find the QB that had the mental traits and a less physical skill set rather than a guy with the physical traits who you try to "teach".

For example physically I think Nick Fitzgerald had the best physical traits of any MSU QB I have seen to date. But he was too raw to really maximize his skill set completely.

But then you look at the NFL and you see the Brady's, Montana's, Brees, and they're highly successful moreso than most with the physical traits because they are in another level mentally despite their lack of arm strength, height, and whatever else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSteel16 View Post
    If Rogers stays on his current trajectory and keeps progressing he will be a top 32 pick when he declares. Could be 23 or 24 depending on when he decides he wants to. Plus if he stays and State wins because we are indeed getting better more publicity and his stats will get him there. Plus he says all the right things and I do not believe he is much of a character risk off the field.

IF that is all true stated above, YES he will be a top 32 pick.

Care to make a ban bet on this one?
    Lol you will won't even remember this 3 years from now. And as good as Dak was he was 4th round...but dream on.