Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Arrogant dm about to get the fatlady sticking a fork in his hunch back...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Said it since he left, he wouldn't make it past 5 years at Florida.
    I'll admit I was wrong, I gave him 3 years. Mostly based off the fact that he couldn't beat UGA and they fired McElwain in 3 years... AFTER he won the East title twice. Unrealistic expectations at UF. But... a weird, fortunateness thing happened for Danno, Franks got hurt and he was forced to start Trask. Trask saved Danno by beating UGA and making it to the Championship game.

But let's go back to Dan's tenure here...and I'll preface to say that I was a Mullen guy (and a Moorhead guy and a Leach guy - guess I'm a sunshine pumper), but the naysayers were right. Byrne and Strickland had the right formula for success - schedule 4 winnable non-conference games, play UK and Vandy, and win 6+ games, make a bowl and the State fans will be ecstatic! And maybe, probably/hopefully, if you catch TAM/AU/LSU on a down year, you'll have a really good season every once in a while and win 8 or 9 games! You'll be a hero to these success deprived fans. And it WORKED!

But it was smoke and mirrors, as the-not-ready-for-head coach Moorhead proved. Dan is what Dan is... an okay coach that could've been a hero in little ole StarkVegas, but believed his own hype. Now everyone knows...
    Last edited by Turfdawg67; 11-20-2021 at 11:48 PM.

vCash
    Good post !!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Good post !!
    Thanks Catfish. And let's just say, Leach has those same "advantages" too. But hopefully we won't have to deal with those late season losses, due to job hunting, and put our team in position for better post-season opportunities! Hail State!!

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    She likes all Mayo.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    7-45 all time vs. ranked opponents
    Brutal just brutal.

vCash
    Damn, Leach has almost beat that record, at MSU, in 20 games.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    ATL is closer to Lake Oconee, so it would make it easier for him to improve his wake surfing skills!!! Win/Win
    I personally would live to go back to the preseason fluff pieces Mullen did with Marty and what?s his face just to see the bullshit Mullen threw out there. Rewatching his first lame ass day at UF, when he gets off the plane doing the chomp?..funny as hell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    I'll admit I was wrong, I gave him 3 years. Mostly based off the fact that he couldn't beat UGA and they fired McElwain in 3 years... AFTER he won the East title twice. Unrealistic expectations at UF. But... a weird, fortunateness thing happened for Danno, Franks got hurt and he was forced to start Trask. Trask saved Danno by beating UGA and making it to the Championship game.

But let's go back to Dan's tenure here...and I'll preface to say that I was a Mullen guy (and a Moorhead guy and a Leach guy - guess I'm a sunshine pumper), but the naysayers were right. Byrne and Strickland had the right formula for success - schedule 4 winnable non-conference games, play UK and Vandy, and win 6+ games, make a bowl and the State fans will be ecstatic! And maybe, probably/hopefully, if you catch TAM/AU/LSU on a down year, you'll have a really good season every once in a while and win 8 or 9 games! You'll be a hero to these success deprived fans. And it WORKED!

But it was smoke and mirrors, as the-not-ready-for-head coach Moorhead proved. Dan is what Dan is... an okay coach that could've been a hero in little ole StarkVegas, but believed his own hype. Now everyone knows...
    I think MSU has a higher ceiling in football than we realize. The issue was for years we mismanaged the schedule and didn't put ourselves in position to succeed. And then that caused many fans to believe that was our norm. And then Dan came along when we started to schedule better and we started to get a little closer to the ceiling but because of his philosophy it still limited our ceiling somewhat. And our fans and administration just bought it as our ceiling.

I think our biggest issue now is recruiting. If we can invest more in that and get better at it the sky is the limit.

vCash
    The other thing about Dan that I never understood. His first two years at MSU there was a lot more creativity with his offense. We saw some wishbone on the goal line use of fullbacks like Patrick Hanrahan, and etc.

Ever since the 2010 season it feels like he has kind of been in a rut offensively from a creativity standpoint. It became the same old QB run, RB run, and then maybe a short pass on third down. That was basically his offense at the end.