Thread: If our basketball team is good, we need to be undefeated headed into SEC play

vCash

If our basketball team is good, we need to be undefeated headed into SEC play

Our non-conference schedule is pretty weak. So unless one of these teams turns out to be much better than expected, we really need to win them all, or at worst be 11-1.

Morehead State at home - Usually an average team within their bad conference. They finished 2nd in their conference last year, but still suck b/c Ohio Valley just isn't good.
    Louisville in the Bahamas - This will definitely be our first test of the season. Louisville's already lost a game to Furman who isn't good and their other games were close. This should absolutely be a win if we're a Sweet 16 caliber team.
    Maryland/Richmond The Bahamas - Winners and losers play. Maryland already lost to George Mason and Richmond lost to Utah State at Richmond, which is still a better loss than the others so far. All the teams in The Bahamas should be decent but not good teams this year.
    Lamar at home - terrible. We should dominate them.
    Minnesota at home - Undefeated so far this year, but they were around a .500 team last year, and they've only played crappy teams so far. They too are unlikely to be good this season.
    Colorado State, neutral site - They've played a bunch of nobodies, but they've been whooping their asses. They look the best of any team we've played so far, but it's still too early to say.
    Georgia State at home - terrible
    Furman at home - The team that beat Louisville still isn't good. They'll probably compete to win the Southern conference, but again if we're a Sweet 16 caliber team, we should handle these guys at home.
    Winthrop in Jackson - Terrible. Should be a warm up game preparing for conference play.

I know it's still really early and maybe a team or 2 here is better than they look so far or are expected to be. But as of now it looks like the best teams we'll play are closer to in the 40s-50s than anywhere near the 20s. If we end up with more than a loss, I'll be a little concerned about our chances to be special this year. I know anybody can have a bad game or good game, you can lose some you shouldn't and visa versa. Conference play is always going to be tough. If we want a good seed, we gotta win these non conference games too.

Thoughts? I was bored of all the other threads, so here's something else to distract me for today.

vCash
    Heck fire! Based on your analysis of our schedule, we could be 12-0 going into SEC play and still not be ranked.

vCash
    Historically Richmond has been a tough game for us I would like to see us put a 20 point beat down on them. But we sure will know what we have when we play Arkie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Heck fire! Based on your analysis of our schedule, we could be 12-0 going into SEC play and still not be ranked.
    We'd be ranked, but probably not real high. 2 losses from that schedule and we won't be ranked. Rankings hold zero weight anyway though. An undefeated non-conference schedule would look good to the committee. We could have up to 3 quadrant 1 wins non conference thanks to those neutral site games. Any losses we'd certainly want to be quadrant 1.

vCash
    I?m hoping we can make the NCAA and get the Pittsburgh region. Would love to watch us play in person in the tournament

vCash
    Some of these games will be a LOT harder than you might think. Louisville, Maryland, Richmond, Minnesota and Winthrop are capable enough to beat us if we don't play our game.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    If we start 12-0, it's gonna be a special season. I'm expecting 10-2. Don't forget we play @ Texas Tech in the big 12 challenge too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousDawg View Post
    If we start 12-0, it's gonna be a special season. I'm expecting 10-2. Don't forget we play @ Texas Tech in the big 12 challenge too.
    I didn't realize we'd play Texas Tech. That wasn't listed on our schedule on hailstate.com. If that's the case, do we play 13 games before conference play? Texas Tech very well could be a loss.

All I'm saying, if we're really a top 16 team, we should be able to win at least 11 of those 12, not counting Texas Tech. Otherwise, we're probably not quite that good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    I didn't realize we'd play Texas Tech. That wasn't listed on our schedule on hailstate.com. If that's the case, do we play 13 games before conference play? Texas Tech very well could be a loss.

All I'm saying, if we're really a top 16 team, we should be able to win at least 11 of those 12, not counting Texas Tech. Otherwise, we're probably not quite that good.
    Texas Tech is in the middle of conference play

vCash
    Some of those games will be tougher than you think. On paper, yes it looks like we should win them all. But those teams are learning each other and coming together just like we are. People tend to want to compare opponents losses but every game is different, especiallyin college basketball. Just because you lost to a lesser team doesn't mean you play that way the next game.. Louisville will be tough, Maryland or Richmond will be tough, Minnesota, Colorado State and Texas Tech will all be tough.. nothing will be easy. But I do like the team we have and if we can continue to gel and get Watts and eventually Tolu involved, we will be tough for anyone to beat

vCash
    Despite what you think this is a very strong non conference schedule. There are several quality nonconference mid major teams that will either compete for or win their league. We don?t have any swac schools to kill our net ranking and only one school that will be in the 250+ rpi at the end of the year in Lamar. We?ll play 3 P5 nonconference games, possibly 4 if we get Maryland. Richmond is a good team net team too. With the strength of the SEC and the fact we don?t have any swac schools our schedule will take care of itself

vCash
    I think the team as of today is not at a sweet 16 level. There is a lot of talent that has to learn how to play together. I don't see how so many new parts will start the season on the same page. There will be bumps in the road.

The other thing is, the best team does not always win on a given night. That's one reason why the pros play a series of games to determine the champ.

Having said all that, I think this team has the ability to win any given game on it's schedule. If they continue to improve all year, they very they could be at that sweet 16 level by the end of the year and in the tournament making some noise. Then it's about getting hot at the right time. Just like our baseball team, you got to be in it to win it. You go enough, you might just win the darn thing one of these years.

vCash
    Basketball is too unpredictable. 10-2 or better doesn't cause me any concern.

vCash
    If we come out of non conference play at 10-2 that would be a big positive. As long as we go 10-8 in conference that would put us at 20 wins and I?m fairly certain with that schedule it would solidly get us in the tournament. This is the best the SEC has been in awhile