Thread: Matt Wyatt: Auburn Film Study

vCash

Matt Wyatt: Auburn Film Study

Something hit me while watching this. Will is making the throws to wide open receivers he was missing in the first three or four games. This offense is on another level now. Will's confidence is unshakable. He sees the entire field.

vCash
    Nice.

Now we need to just put together all 4 quarters together. Once that happens, we'll be hell on grass.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    If Will and our offense put together a full 60 minutes like the second half of the Auburn game, the 623 ypg record would be broken. I hope he does it next Thursday.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    I hope he does it next Thursday.
    That would be amazing timing.

vCash
    If Will and our offense put together a full 60 minutes like the second half of the Auburn game, the 623 ypg record would be broken. I hope he does it next Thursday.
    This could only happen with the interlocking logo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Nice.

Now we need to just put together all 4 quarters together. Once that happens, we'll be hell on grass.
    I wouldn't expect to see anything like that for four straight quarters. Gotta remember that we run a ball control offense that racks up 12+ play, 5 minute plus drives and it usually takes a few quarters for it to fully wear down the opposing defense, while also keeping ours fresh the whole game. I wish I would have realized that earlier in the season because I've made plenty of ignorant comments about how I wish 4th quarter Will Rodgers was playing the whole game.
    WHY IS EVERYONE YELLING?!?

vCash
    I wish Matt Wyatt could be given the 22 man recording of every play. It would be nice to see the full alignment.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    I wish Matt Wyatt could be given the 22 man recording of every play. It would be nice to see the full alignment.
    Then these reviews would be like 2 hours, but, so well worth the time. lol

vCash
    I don’t think we see 600+ passing yards again, unless some coordinator is dumb enough to try man coverage for 60 full minutes.

vCash
    Will is getting over 400 without any offense for 25 minutes a game.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogDX55 View Post
    I wouldn't expect to see anything like that for four straight quarters. Gotta remember that we run a ball control offense that racks up 12+ play, 5 minute plus drives and it usually takes a few quarters for it to fully wear down the opposing defense, while also keeping ours fresh the whole game. I wish I would have realized that earlier in the season because I've made plenty of ignorant comments about how I wish 4th quarter Will Rodgers was playing the whole game.
    True, but falling behind by double digits every week is no recipe for success. I hope we can start playing better early in these games and it doesn't become a pattern for us to start super slow and fall behind

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    True, but falling behind by double digits every week is no recipe for success. I hope we can start playing better early in these games and it doesn't become a pattern for us to start super slow and fall behind
    Exactly.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Part of it is that it takes Leach a few Series to figure out how the defense is going to play him. I saw that in an interview he had. It’s also because we wear teams down with our TOP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Part of it is that it takes Leach a few Series to figure out how the defense is going to play him. I saw that in an interview he had. It’s also because we wear teams down with our TOP.
    This.

I heard it described as Leach is a boxer. He's probing his opponent's strengths and weaknesses.

And, yes, our TOP wears down defenses. A&M was sucking wind in the 4th quarter. Auburn was too. Kentucky's defense flat gave up in the 4th. They were done.

vCash
    In that case, the D needs to not shit the bed in the 1st quarter while the O figures it out.

vCash
    My theory on this is that because we play such a unique offensive scheme that causes defenses to not run their base scheme, we don't know much about the opponent until the 2nd quarter after they've shown how they're going to defend us.

Most offenses get the benefit of film review to help them start hot, but what can our coaches see on film review when the defenses are playing completely different schemes?
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Part of it is that it takes Leach a few Series to figure out how the defense is going to play him. I saw that in an interview he had. It?s also because we wear teams down with our TOP.
    This is my theory as well. When the defense we're playing again runs a 4-3 every game, how are we supposed to know what their 3-8 will look like?

I think what we need to do to solve this issue is to just come out balls to the wall & stretch the field.

I think we play conservative early, but, since we know our offense can explode, we should play looser early & take chances. If we throw an INT, who cares? We can easily overcome it.

So to solve the issue, I'd tell Will "Look, we don't know how they're going to play us yet, but be aggressive. Put them on their heels early."
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More