Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carson Williams

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    No offense to the kid, but no he won't.

We reached in a big way on him. At the time, we had his HS and Juco teammate committed to us too, but he flipped to LSU. So we reached on him for nothing basically.
    Who is now in the transfer portal

Banned
    vCash
    I didn’t say great. I said serviceable. And I stand by it.

vCash
    Maybe, if this kicker thing works out, Leach can hold open tryouts from the student body for LT.

I suggest he start with the Tuba players and the Big Bass Drum player and work out from there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Replacing cross will be pretty much impossible.

Replacing lashley won't be be near as hard. Very doable.
    True , we probably will upgrade at lashley position

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    I think "hopefully" is a better way to put it
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Yea it's not a slam dunk you upgrade from lashley. But it is very doable to at least replicate his production. He is serviceable, but that's about it.

vCash
    Yea it's not a slam dunk you upgrade from lashley. But it is very doable to at least replicate his production. He is serviceable, but that's about it.
    agree
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    So we don't have a guy on campus now better than him but we are going to upgrade? Doubt it

vCash
    Well put

vCash
    No offense to the kid, but no he won't.

We reached in a big way on him. At the time, we had his HS and Juco teammate committed to us too, but he flipped to LSU. So we reached on him for nothing basically.
    He's essentially almost a freshman. Too soon to give up on him or any OL at this point in their career.

vCash
    It's very doable to replicate his production, but we are replacing two OTs and the best option is going to go to LT. We better hope that that player is better than Lashley. Our best hope is probably to find a LT in the transfer portal. More or less guaranteed to be a downgrade from Cross, but that would at least let one of our younger players come in and try to replace Lashley, which as you said, is doable. If I were going to bet money, I'd bet that we have a younger player go to LT and be as good or a little better than Lashley, and a younger player go to the RT and be a downgrade, and we will take a significant downgrade on our line next year.

Not unexpected when you are losing a first round OL, but a little tougher losing both OTs in the same year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    It's very doable to replicate his production, but we are replacing two OTs and the best option is going to go to LT. We better hope that that player is better than Lashley. Our best hope is probably to find a LT in the transfer portal. More or less guaranteed to be a downgrade from Cross, but that would at least let one of our younger players come in and try to replace Lashley, which as you said, is doable. If I were going to bet money, I'd bet that we have a younger player go to LT and be as good or a little better than Lashley, and a younger player go to the RT and be a downgrade, and we will take a significant downgrade on our line next year.

Not unexpected when you are losing a first round OL, but a little tougher losing both OTs in the same year.
    I'll be interested to see if we get some guys in the game in the 2nd half Saturday that gives us a look at next year. If you look at the participation reports, we have snuck in some PT for OL. Buys and Reese have both seen action in SEC play; Grant Jackson has played in every game but UK, Nick Jones has been in 5 games (NCST & 4 SEC games). It would be good to all these guys play a good bit and maybe spot a couple of kids like Cavazos, Williams, or Boone some PT this week.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    OL recruiting is fluid. We really need a portal guy to play OT, but our HS board is good. Percy is a Dec. grad that we'd expect to start but he's got to get in better shape and figure out the scheme. I think we'll see a transfer once our guys hit the portal and there's more room, but we'll see.

vCash
    Who do we have on the roster now that could possibly develop into a LT for Next year?

We may find out a good bit in the bowl game practices and certainly in the spring.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    Who do we have on the roster now that could possibly develop into a LT for Next year?

We may find out a good bit in the bowl game practices and certainly in the spring.
    I don't think we have 1.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    He's essentially almost a freshman. Too soon to give up on him or any OL at this point in their career.
    Not giving up on him. He'll be good depth. But he's not an SEC player. Sorry.

vCash
    Not giving up on him. He'll be good depth. But he's not an SEC player. Sorry.
    Can anyone name our 2nd string LT as of now?

vCash
    I hope Reese becomes a starting Tackle for next year. He pancaked Jordan Davis and ended his season in fall practice. Hated that it happened, but it must have been an eye-opener for the coaching staff to witness.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    I hope Reese becomes a starting Tackle for next year. He pancaked Jordan Davis and ended his season in fall practice. Hated that it happened, but it must have been an eye-opener for the coaching staff to witness.
    I think he can be our starting RT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    I think he can be our starting RT
    That is good news on the RT. That's one.. Now to find that LT that we don't think we have.

I think it's really hard for a JuCo tackle to come in and be good right away. The speed of the game is just too different but....

Transfers are a bit different. You can get one of those that has been practicing a lot against quality opposition and even played in games as a backup or even a graduate transfer that has been playing and would have two years left due to Covid.

I am still hoping that they can get a guy trained up to do it that is currently on the roster. There is lots of training time and growing time between now and then and they have gotten some pretty good prospects the last couple years. I am not giving up on them finding a guy that can play that is already here.