Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big miss by our Athletic Dept...

vCash

Big miss by our Athletic Dept...

We play football at 11am Saturday. (I realize we only knew this game time a week or so ago.) We play basketball on SUNDAY at 2pm. Perfect opportunity missed for a football/basketball DH on Saturday. I realize there is probably a reason this happened, but that's a missed chance to have a mostly-filled Hump if the basketball team is 3-0 and playing at ~4:00pm Saturday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDawg View Post
    We play football at 11am Saturday. (I realize we only knew this game time a week or so ago.) We play basketball on SUNDAY at 2pm. Perfect opportunity missed for a football/basketball DH on Saturday. I realize there is probably a reason this happened, but that's a missed chance to have a mostly-filled Hump if the basketball team is 3-0 and playing at ~4:00pm Saturday.
    I guess they were trying to avoid a conflict. Seems like if the basketball game isn't being broadcast, we could have kept it TBA until the football game was announced.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Basketball times are made well before football times. Can't take the chance that both games are at the same time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I guess they were trying to avoid a conflict. Seems like if the basketball game isn't being broadcast, we could have kept it TBA until the football game was announced.
    Hell, according to everything I've seen the football game isn't even being aired on a regular channel. It's on freaking SECN+. WTF??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Hell, according to everything I've seen the football game isn't even being aired on a regular channel. It's on freaking SECN+. WTF??
    That happens regularly when you're playing a FCS opponent.

vCash
    You're right, sec+ and espn+ only.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    That happens regularly when you're playing a FCS opponent.
    I love reading voices of logic around here...

As Dak Holiday says.
    ^^^ Like this

vCash
    Same as Florida vs Samford this past Saturday.

vCash
    So basically all you said was there was a BIG miss by our athletic department but there was really nothing they could do about it. So it really isn?t a BIG miss

vCash
    Actually if they had scheduled the basketball game on the same day they could have adjusted the tip off accordingly to accommodate football. It?s been done before, just like this swing and miss.

Quote Originally Posted by whosyourdawgy View Post
    So basically all you said was there was a BIG miss by our athletic department but there was really nothing they could do about it. So it really isn?t a BIG miss

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinto View Post
    Actually if they had scheduled the basketball game on the same day they could have adjusted the tip off accordingly to accommodate football. It?s been done before, just like this swing and miss.
    The basketball game is on SEC+ so they choose the time. So no it's not anything the Ath Dept could've done.

vCash
    Nice weekend to hang out in starkvegas……
    cautiously optimistic

vCash
    The basketball game is on SEC+ so they choose the time. So no it's not anything the Ath Dept could've done.
    I really don't understand why SEC+ dictates game times. I kind of get it for basketball; they apparently felt like they needed content on Sunday. But why in the hell are we stuck playing 11:00 am for football? We're going up against an ESPN game regardless and we're not going to take a meaningful amount of ratings away. Why not let us play when we want?

vCash
    Cause they cut us a big ass check. That's why and how they dictate it.

vCash
    We are a back up game. Should the 11am game get called due to severe weather or COVID protocols, ours will be aired instead. that and as Homedawg said ... $$$.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Cause they cut us a big ass check. That's why and how they dictate it.
    I completely understand why they can dictate game times. I just don't understand why they bother. Desotodawg's point about us being a backup game sort of makes sense, except there aren't SECN+ games backing up all their primetime games. Why not let us backup the evening SEC game rather than the 11am one. Maybe there are plenty of games they can pick up at night but few with the shitty 11am start time and that explains it.

vCash
    I really don't understand why SEC+ dictates game times. I kind of get it for basketball; they apparently felt like they needed content on Sunday. But why in the hell are we stuck playing 11:00 am for football? We're going up against an ESPN game regardless and we're not going to take a meaningful amount of ratings away. Why not let us play when we want?
    If you let us play when we want you have to let everyone play when they want also. Then there would be chaos. So TV networks schedule the game times to keep that from happening.

vCash
    If you let us play when we want you have to let everyone play when they want also. Then there would be chaos. So TV networks schedule the game times to keep that from happening.
    I didn't realize there were three SECN+ broadcasts this weekend. I guess a lot of people are scheduling OOC cupcakes the week before rivalry week. I'm still not sure it'd be chaos if there were multiple SEN+ streams going on (does the SECN provide commentators for those streams against FCS teams?), but I do at least get why they want them spread out. On more typical weekends with just one SECN+ broadcast, do they dictate time for those also so they can provide commentators?

vCash
    I didn't realize there were three SECN+ broadcasts this weekend. I guess a lot of people are scheduling OOC cupcakes the week before rivalry week. I'm still not sure it'd be chaos if there were multiple SEN+ streams going on (does the SECN provide commentators for those streams against FCS teams?), but I do at least get why they want them spread out. On more typical weekends with just one SECN+ broadcast, do they dictate time for those also so they can provide commentators?
    Yes they still dictate time.

vCash
    SECN+ is easy. If they make people pay for ESPN+ to watch it that will be a major problem