Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunday Morning QB- A Tale of Two Halves Edition

vCash

Sunday Morning QB- A Tale of Two Halves Edition

1. What a good Saturday. Got up and took the boys to workout. Watched our game. Went to the shrimp boil. And then finished hanging out at the local watering hole with friends. I so enjoy living in Florida and thanks to BWW's for letting me have Saturday off.

2. What a 1st half yesterday. Bo Nix carving us up like he is in the Heisman race. Offense sputtering and struggling. I see everybody mouthing off after the fact- but all you have to do is look at the game thread on this board and know how most people were feeling and thinking. After last week's loss and that 1st half- there were lots and lots of doubters out there.

3. The TD before half was huge. It was certainly the spark that ignited the fire. But holy lord- I dont ever recall a team getting their ass beat roll off 40 straight points. Not even the Buffalo Bills. It was an incredible turnaround. Leach and the O gets credit- but the way the D turned it around was something rarely seen. They went from swiss cheese to lockdown. Momentum is a helluva emotion in humans- and we harnessed it's power to the max yesterday.

4. The Airbone got off to a slow start yesterday as usual. It seems we have to use the 1st Q to figure out what other teams are doing against us. It's like we are shocked we are going to see the other team run a 3 man front. But once we got on a roll and established the TB dump down- the offense started clicking. Just an absolute 180 that was something not often seen.

5. I Seen It Dawg said something yesterday I totally agree with. "Rogers may be the best QB in the country on passes 0-20 yards". He doesnt have a strong arm. He's not likely to have any kind of NFL career or be an NFL starter. But- he is smart and he is very accurate from 0-20 yards. He throws a good, catchable ball that doesnt overwhelm passcatchers. He has really come on and should be in the top 5 of the Heisman race. It's such an open race this year with nobody standing out really- no reason he shouldnt be 4th or 5th in the race. Young at Bama and the RB from Mich State should certainly be the top 2. Maybe throw in Coral from the Bearfins at 3 or 4. You really have to look forward to watching them battle it out for the Egg.

6. On a down note- it does have to concern you that we dont have anybody better than Lashley to play RT. With us losing both OT's this year- it's a glaring hole to fill for next Fall. We look better since replacing Dolla Bill on the right side- Lashley has shown that it wasnt all him. But he is still below average. Dolla Bill even got a holding call on an XP yesterday. That's ridiculous. You have one move on the XP/FG- protect inside.

7. 14 carries for 79 yards from the RB's. Excellent job of making it count on very few opportunities. They are both making the cuts and running tough you love to see from your RB's. 11 catches between them for another 70 yards. Good production and a good day from them.

8. 35 mins on TOP yesterday after struggling in the 1st half. The Airbone doing Airbone things. That was big in the 2nd half. We kept the ball away and never allowed them to get back into rhythm. D forced the 3 and outs and kept them on the sideline getting colder and colder. Just kept putting the ball in the end zone and never allowed them to get any Mo back. All you can say is what an amazing 180 the game took.

9. Got to give a "wtf???" and an "Attaboy" to Arnette and the D. We got pushed around and didn't cover a damn thing in the 1st half. We looked like we haven't watched any Auburn game film. 2nd half looked like we had been prepping for them for 3 weeks. We were more physical, dominated the trenches, and were all over their WR's. Only had 4 TFL's but it seemed like more with the way the DL played in the 2nd half. Took the run game away completely and then the DB's just clamped down. Safety play improved greatly.

10. Egg Bowl has become an even bigger game now as we fight for pecking order on the holiday bowl season. But I'm gonna go ahead an warn you now- beating OM, Kentucky, and A&M is likely to not matter when it comes to bowl choices. Bowls want appeal and storylines. I've wanted nothing more than to see my beloved Bujldogs play in the Sugar Bowl. You likely wont see a 4 loss State team play in it even with a win over the Bearfins. You are going to see a 3 loss Kentucky, Bearfin, or A&M there. Just my opinion.

Hail State!
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    One thing to note here. The running backs in the air raid combined for like 180-190 all purpose yards yesterday.

Big misconception that leach doesn’t use his running backs, he does use them just not in the same way as a straight ahead power I run game.

Banned
    vCash
    Thanks coach. Anybody take note of Lashley's guy sacking Will on the 2 point attempt? Could any of that been on Will or the play itself not developing fast enough?

vCash
    The big thing that's changed the offense for us is that we seem to be able to block a 3 man rush now. For the most part. Lashley is always good for getting beaten several times a game. Still, part of that is the splits. You need two really good, very athletic tackles to make this work against better defenses. If Leach can continually get very good tackles to come to Starkville, and we can continue to put together dominant DLs, then the sky is the limit for Leach here. The OL is the part that worries me. I can't imagine that top OL are excited to come play in this offense. But maybe I'm wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    One thing to note here. The running backs in the air raid combined for like 180-190 all purpose yards yesterday.

Big misconception that leach doesn?t use his running backs, he does use them just not in the same way as a straight ahead power I run game.
    Leach categorizes balance as production by position ... Not running vs passing.

I love to watch our RBs gash a defense up the middle for 7 to 15 yds a pop. Hate it when they continually get stuffed for 2 or so.

Same with dump offs to RBs. I love 7 to 15 a pop and hate being stuffed for 2 or 3.

I don't care how we move the ball, just so long as we're moving the chains and scoring TDs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    The big thing that's changed the offense for us is that we seem to be able to block a 3 man rush now. For the most part. Lashley is always good for getting beaten several times a game. Still, part of that is the splits. You need two really good, very athletic tackles to make this work against better defenses. If Leach can continually get very good tackles to come to Starkville, and we can continue to put together dominant DLs, then the sky is the limit for Leach here. The OL is the part that worries me. I can't imagine that top OL are excited to come play in this offense. But maybe I'm wrong.
    Good post. You can see the game within a game that makes or breaks the air raid. That battle of the o line five vs the d line three is key. Outside Alabama few teams have the personnel to pull this off. I think o line recruiting in the sec for leach is paramount. Cam east and the big Alabama recruit look to be upgrades, we need more , we need transfers, the portal has some good veteran lineman.

Leach has done a good job of developing good o lineman but the sec is a different animal. The tackle needs to be athletic. WSU put a few in the nfl.

vCash
    You're right on the bowl situation. We're only going to get one of those top bowls if we're somehow the third highest team in the CFP rankings (or 4th if Alabama run the table and beats UGA), but I doubt they'll put us that high even if we beat ole miss. From there we'll get passed over by the Citrus Bowl and end up in the Gator/Outback/MusicCity/Texas. That damn Arkansas game...

vCash
    Fair and balanced write-up.

Honestly, I can't say I was *pissed* yesterday in the first quarter, mostly because I knew we'd score some. I never envisioned us shutting them down and rolling off 40 straight. Not in a million years. I figured we'd make it a semi-respectable 42-31 loss or something and then come back and bitch at each other for two weeks about whether the offense is effective or not. Auburn's been streaky all year, and Nix has always been overrated as Hell. He has talent but falls apart when the pocket gets hot.

Egg Bowl is HUGE. If our team can't get ready for that one, I don't even know what to say. But I will say this - if we shut down the run game of Ole Miss, we win.

vCash
    This team mentally has an identity now, and has gained a ton of confidence.

They are young, you could see at the beginning of the year they showed talent in bursts but would regress and were unsure of themselves, didn’t really have an identity.

Now, they are battle tested and salty as hell. We are one of those teams nobody wants to play. Not a great record but can open a can of woop@ss on you at anytime, and the skins on the wall of four top 25 teams to prove it.

vCash
    Maybe they should move Lashley to guard and Smith to tackle. Smith is balling right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    I feel like an average recruiter should be able to get tackles, particularly on the left side, excited to come play in this offense because you get more reps than any other to showcase the most prized quality of the position in the NFL - edge rush protection in space. I agree though maintaining talent at the tackle spots will be the key to keeping this thing running season-to-season, which is a tough ask in the SEC.

vCash
    On Johnsons big run did it remind anyone else of Dizencos run against BYU? Of course this would have been the slower version.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    I feel like an average recruiter should be able to get tackles, particularly on the left side, excited to come play in this offense because you get more reps than any other to showcase the most prized quality of the position in the NFL - edge rush protection in space. I agree though maintaining talent at the tackle spots will be the key to keeping this thing running season-to-season, which is a tough ask in the SEC.
    Exactly. The wide splits showcase the pass pro ability of our tackles. It exposes or elevates you to pro scouts. Cross has certainly been able to show his ability and it’s helped him climb draft boards. Recruiting and the portal are paramount for us upfront- especially at OT
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    On #6, surely by next year someone will emerge or the portal can replace Lashley. Losing Cross may sting a bit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    On #6, surely by next year someone will emerge or the portal can replace Lashley. Losing Cross may sting a bit.
    Didn't we get Lashey from the Portal? So we want to depend on another guy who Sat the bench instead of developing and training a guy that will fit Leachs system.

vCash
    I like the portal, a four star that sits at Bama, Clemson or Ohio state is someone that could help a lot of teams on the O line. Leach had a OT at WSU was a basketball player in hs, developed in the weight room and was drafted by the lions. He has a good track record at developing players especially o lineman. Lashley definitely has some holes in his game that would keep him off the field at Bama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    1. What a good Saturday. Got up and took the boys to workout. Watched our game. Went to the shrimp boil. And then finished hanging out at the local watering hole with friends. I so enjoy living in Florida and thanks to BWW's for letting me have Saturday off.

2. What a 1st half yesterday. Bo Nix carving us up like he is in the Heisman race. Offense sputtering and struggling. I see everybody mouthing off after the fact- but all you have to do is look at the game thread on this board and know how most people were feeling and thinking. After last week's loss and that 1st half- there were lots and lots of doubters out there.

3. The TD before half was huge. It was certainly the spark that ignited the fire. But holy lord- I dont ever recall a team getting their ass beat roll off 40 straight points. Not even the Buffalo Bills. It was an incredible turnaround. Leach and the O gets credit- but the way the D turned it around was something rarely seen. They went from swiss cheese to lockdown. Momentum is a helluva emotion in humans- and we harnessed it's power to the max yesterday.

4. The Airbone got off to a slow start yesterday as usual. It seems we have to use the 1st Q to figure out what other teams are doing against us. It's like we are shocked we are going to see the other team run a 3 man front. But once we got on a roll and established the TB dump down- the offense started clicking. Just an absolute 180 that was something not often seen.

5. I Seen It Dawg said something yesterday I totally agree with. "Rogers may be the best QB in the country on passes 0-20 yards". He doesnt have a strong arm. He's not likely to have any kind of NFL career or be an NFL starter. But- he is smart and he is very accurate from 0-20 yards. He throws a good, catchable ball that doesnt overwhelm passcatchers. He has really come on and should be in the top 5 of the Heisman race. It's such an open race this year with nobody standing out really- no reason he shouldnt be 4th or 5th in the race. Young at Bama and the RB from Mich State should certainly be the top 2. Maybe throw in Coral from the Bearfins at 3 or 4. You really have to look forward to watching them battle it out for the Egg.

6. On a down note- it does have to concern you that we dont have anybody better than Lashley to play RT. With us losing both OT's this year- it's a glaring hole to fill for next Fall. We look better since replacing Dolla Bill on the right side- Lashley has shown that it wasnt all him. But he is still below average. Dolla Bill even got a holding call on an XP yesterday. That's ridiculous. You have one move on the XP/FG- protect inside.

7. 14 carries for 79 yards from the RB's. Excellent job of making it count on very few opportunities. They are both making the cuts and running tough you love to see from your RB's. 11 catches between them for another 70 yards. Good production and a good day from them.

8. 35 mins on TOP yesterday after struggling in the 1st half. The Airbone doing Airbone things. That was big in the 2nd half. We kept the ball away and never allowed them to get back into rhythm. D forced the 3 and outs and kept them on the sideline getting colder and colder. Just kept putting the ball in the end zone and never allowed them to get any Mo back. All you can say is what an amazing 180 the game took.

9. Got to give a "wtf???" and an "Attaboy" to Arnette and the D. We got pushed around and didn't cover a damn thing in the 1st half. We looked like we haven't watched any Auburn game film. 2nd half looked like we had been prepping for them for 3 weeks. We were more physical, dominated the trenches, and were all over their WR's. Only had 4 TFL's but it seemed like more with the way the DL played in the 2nd half. Took the run game away completely and then the DB's just clamped down. Safety play improved greatly.

10. Egg Bowl has become an even bigger game now as we fight for pecking order on the holiday bowl season. But I'm gonna go ahead an warn you now- beating OM, Kentucky, and A&M is likely to not matter when it comes to bowl choices. Bowls want appeal and storylines. I've wanted nothing more than to see my beloved Bujldogs play in the Sugar Bowl. You likely wont see a 4 loss State team play in it even with a win over the Bearfins. You are going to see a 3 loss Kentucky, Bearfin, or A&M there. Just my opinion.

Hail State!
    I like # 3

Those two letters we got from the office should count for something come bowl picking time. Maybe an *, maybe not.

vCash
    Rogers = Chad Pennington
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    Losing Cross may sting a bit.
    Massive understatement

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Rogers = Chad Pennington
    I like to think of him as a young Drew Brees. Low turnover ratio hits the high percentage passes and is getting better at getting rid of the ball instead of taking the sack/