Quote Originally Posted by trob115 View Post
I disagree about going 6 years, especially if it costs 32 or 33 mil per season.

The Braves payroll would be completely exhausted and would be unable to afford any additional pieces. If Freeman wants to be a Brave, the 5 yr 135 mill would be the largest single contract ever given out by Atlanta. By year 4, Freeman will most definitely start seeing decline. If Atlanta is hamstrung by that albatross of a contract, they essentially will be closing their competitive window by not being able to acquire additional players.

Rizzo would be an excellent option to replace freeman in Free agency if his asking price is reasonable , and would allow the Braves financial flexibility to add major complementary pieces. Braves could also add Matt Olson from the A's via trade since they are rumored to be selling off everyone. He is cheap and probably wouldn't cost very much in prospect capital. And if the Braves are truly trying to acquire Reynolds to play CF, those two pieces are more than enough to replace Freeman. Honestly, I would prefer that over re-signing Freddie.

Braves could also possibly look to extend Fried, Dansby, and Riley this off-season.
I'm with you. As much as it would hurt me, I'd let em walk