Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone want to give a breakdown on the baseball signing class?

vCash

Anyone want to give a breakdown on the baseball signing class?

I haven't seen anything on the baseball class other than it is supposed to be ranked #4.

Banned
    vCash
    Bump for Todd.

vCash
    Do fill us in.

vCash
    Only thing I saw is that it was ranked 4th as well..........

Two of the three ahead of us are SEC schools (Vandy-1, LSU-2) and then Miami came in 3rd..........

As Kellum Clark literally said when hit that homer in the final game of the CWS (eff them Vandy boys)............
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    The guys I saw on the commit list are some rather large sized young men. And 1 of em throws with both arms.

vCash
    If he can throw with both arms at the same time, then he should sign and NIL deal with ED. I'd pitch in. (/rimshot)

Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    The guys I saw on the commit list are some rather large sized young men. And 1 of em throws with both arms.

vCash
    Top 2 after the draft if things fall right. Not catching LSU.

vCash
    We will be better than we were last year, not saying we win a natty but all around better team
    And we will prob have a true freshman either DH or starting at 1b
    Hunter Hines.

vCash
    It’s a legit class. We are to the point with Lemonis that we are reloading like Bama does for football. We are also gonna have to come to the realization that we are gonna loose some people to the Portal due to it being so much competition now…

vCash
    The nice thing about what this staff has done is to supplement the last couple of classes that haven?t really been ?theirs? by picking up some highly rated kids that for whatever reason have been available late. This year it was the ss from texas and the ambi-pitcher from Florida, both rated 10?s by PG. There is also the juco pitcher that from the sound of it is just now learning to pitch. If he can put it all together, he might be pretty useful.

We?ve been bellyaching for the last 2 or 3 years about being behind the 8 ball in recruiting b/c of the coaching carousel that we went thru, but we seem to be coming thru it in pretty good shape.
    Last edited by AlSwearengen; 11-11-2021 at 06:10 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    We will be better than we were last year, not saying we win a natty but all around better team
    Hunter Hines.
    How about the Fall Ball Legend, Bryce Chance in the OF? Every time I checked, he was 3 for 4 at the plate.

vCash
    Ari is correct- the 2022 team is better than the 2021 NC team. But baseball is like it is and it doesnt mean we will win another title. We will be better offensively and still have a ton of arm talent.

This signing class plus the next one that is projected to be even better should have everyone happy about where we are in baseball.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Hunter Hines.
    Lemonis didn't really have his players in last year. I could see this being the start of something very special- well it already is.

vCash
    Let's look at this class in depth a little more. I REALLY like how we filled out this class. Every position is covered and we dominated the state of Mississippi. We also saw the beginnings of what a National Championship will do with some late adds to this class, but of course with the nature of baseball recruiting it will be a couple of years before it really takes full effect but make no mistake it's coming.

Weekend rotation guys

Jurrangelo Cigntje is the most interesting MSU baseball commit of all time. He's from Curacao, was a star in the Little League World Serie and he can pitch with both arms. He has good stuff moreso from the right side than left so it will be interesting to see how his career goes. There really isn't a comp for a player like this. I'm not sure what MLB sees but I think it's wait and see because of his size more than anything as he is slightly built. Not sure that he gets to school but there is a chanve

Evan Siary from Starkville Academy is a future weekend rotation guy and he is able to hit 95. He could become a draft risk although I think he ends up at MSU.

Bradley Loftin is a LHP from DeSoto Central who saw his velocity jump up some this summer. He is the same draft risk wise as Siary.

Logan Forsythe is a RHP from D'Iberville who signed early and some thought he would potentially be the top player in Mississippi in his class.

Will Gibbs is yet another potential rotation guy as well. He is a RHP from Jackson Prep who is also in the low 90's. He's 5'11" 180 and may be more of a midweek guy progressing to the rotation later.

Bullpen

McLain Ray from Tupelo I think could be a potential closer for us. He is a big pitcher who throws in the mid 90's already. I don't think starting is out of the question for him either but I have heard him consistently mentioned as a future closer.

Austin Thomassini is a RHP from HS National Champion Madison Central. He has progressed a lot getting into the low 90's but command is an issue.

Linc Sheffield is a LHP from Hartfield Academy who throws in the high 80's. He was one of the first commits in this class and has progressed well.

Brock Tepper is a LHP from DeSoto Central and may be a good match up guy like Trysten Barlow.

Catcher

Ross Highfill from HS National Champion Madison Central was a huge flip from USM and could be a day one starter as Logan Tanner will go pro after this year. He's a Perfect Game All-American and may be a moderate draft risk although I think that his love for MSU and the fact that he could improve some with the bat will get him to college. He is also fast for a catcher.

Bryce Hubbard is a catcher from Georgia who may have a chance to start if Highfill and Tanner go pro. I suspect Gray Bane will still be around as a senior in this class in a few years so this group look solid for the future.

Ryan Williams is from Texas and is listed as a catcher but is more of a utility player at this point who will have to figure out what his position in college is. Pitcher is also a possibility for him as well.

Corner INF

Jackson Parker- Every year in Mississippi there is a prospect from a small school that takes the state by storm and this year that could be Jackson Parker. He is a bit under the radar after not playing much summer ball but he is a legit SEC player. He'll have time to develop with Hunter Hines holding down first base for a few years.

Charlie Keller- One of the top power hitters in Alabama is a third baseman all the way. He'll have a chance to develop behind Cole Slater.

Jay Murdock is a corner INF from Georgia who looks like a DH candidate. He's a pull hitter who is a LH bat that could send a lot of balls into the plaza.

MIF

Jett Williams- SS/CF who is our biggest draft risk. Huge flip from Texas A&M. He will start somewhere for us as a freshman. Future MLB player probably at second base.

Colton Bradley- plays catcher at Hartfield Academy but will switch to another position in college. I could see him going the Hunter Stovall route and play second base for us or possibly the outfield.

David Mershon- SS/2B from South Carolina who is super fast. If Williams goes pro Mershon is probably our SS of the future.

Outfielders

Dakota Jordan is a draft risk from Jackson Academy. He got a lot of attention this summer because of his bat speed. I think there is a decent chance he comes to MSU. Projects as a CF for us. Committed for football and could play football only if he goes pro in baseball.

Hollis Porter is a corner OF/1B guy who is a LH hitter from East Central HS which is an underrated baseball program in Mississippi. He's 6'3" and can run.

Aiden Fancher is a power hitter from Winston Academy who may be drafted but I think he comes to school. He has worked out a lot with former MSU baseball players like Adam Frazier.

Stone Blanton corner outfielder who was injured playing baseball for MRA last year. Could see his stock rise with a strong year this year. Projects as a corner outfielder/LB for MSU.

JUCO

Ernie Day and Nathan Williams are both hard throwing JUCO pitchers that will compete for spots in the bullpen.

Final grade

I'll give this class an A. I think the number 4-6 ranking is fair at this point. While there are some moderate draft risks there are already good back up players already in place. As you can see, MSU covered every position group and this class reminds me a bit of Jake Mangum's class which started the current MSU golden era. We should be legitimately excited about this class.

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    What Lemo and crew are doing with the next couple of classes is absolutely sick. Literally piling top 5 classes on top of each other.
    Romans 5:8

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Let's look at this class in depth a little more. I REALLY like how we filled out this class. Every position is covered and we dominated the state of Mississippi. We also saw the beginnings of what a National Championship will do with some late adds to this class, but of course with the nature of baseball recruiting it will be a couple of years before it really takes full effect but make no mistake it's coming.

Weekend rotation guys

Jurrangelo Cigntje is the most interesting MSU baseball commit of all time. He's from Curacao, was a star in the Little League World Serie and he can pitch with both arms. He has good stuff moreso from the right side than left so it will be interesting to see how his career goes. There really isn't a comp for a player like this. I'm not sure what MLB sees but I think it's wait and see because of his size more than anything as he is slightly built. Not sure that he gets to school but there is a chanve

Evan Siary from Starkville Academy is a future weekend rotation guy and he is able to hit 95. He could become a draft risk although I think he ends up at MSU.

Bradley Loftin is a LHP from DeSoto Central who saw his velocity jump up some this summer. He is the same draft risk wise as Siary.

Logan Forsythe is a RHP from D'Iberville who signed early and some thought he would potentially be the top player in Mississippi in his class.

Will Gibbs is yet another potential rotation guy as well. He is a RHP from Jackson Prep who is also in the low 90's. He's 5'11" 180 and may be more of a midweek guy progressing to the rotation later.

Bullpen

McLain Ray from Tupelo I think could be a potential closer for us. He is a big pitcher who throws in the mid 90's already. I don't think starting is out of the question for him either but I have heard him consistently mentioned as a future closer.

Austin Thomassini is a RHP from HS National Champion Madison Central. He has progressed a lot getting into the low 90's but command is an issue.

Linc Sheffield is a LHP from Hartfield Academy who throws in the high 80's. He was one of the first commits in this class and has progressed well.

Brock Tepper is a LHP from DeSoto Central and may be a good match up guy like Trysten Barlow.

Catcher

Ross Highfill from HS National Champion Madison Central was a huge flip from USM and could be a day one starter as Logan Tanner will go pro after this year. He's a Perfect Game All-American and may be a moderate draft risk although I think that his love for MSU and the fact that he could improve some with the bat will get him to college. He is also fast for a catcher.

Bryce Hubbard is a catcher from Georgia who may have a chance to start if Highfill and Tanner go pro. I suspect Gray Bane will still be around as a senior in this class in a few years so this group look solid for the future.

Ryan Williams is from Texas and is listed as a catcher but is more of a utility player at this point who will have to figure out what his position in college is. Pitcher is also a possibility for him as well.

Corner INF

Jackson Parker- Every year in Mississippi there is a prospect from a small school that takes the state by storm and this year that could be Jackson Parker. He is a bit under the radar after not playing much summer ball but he is a legit SEC player. He'll have time to develop with Hunter Hines holding down first base for a few years.

Charlie Keller- One of the top power hitters in Alabama is a third baseman all the way. He'll have a chance to develop behind Cole Slater.

Jay Murdock is a corner INF from Georgia who looks like a DH candidate. He's a pull hitter who is a LH bat that could send a lot of balls into the plaza.

MIF

Jett Williams- SS/CF who is our biggest draft risk. Huge flip from Texas A&M. He will start somewhere for us as a freshman. Future MLB player probably at second base.

Colton Bradley- plays catcher at Hartfield Academy but will switch to another position in college. I could see him going the Hunter Stovall route and play second base for us or possibly the outfield.

David Mershon- SS/2B from South Carolina who is super fast. If Williams goes pro Mershon is probably our SS of the future.

Outfielders

Dakota Jordan is a draft risk from Jackson Academy. He got a lot of attention this summer because of his bat speed. I think there is a decent chance he comes to MSU. Projects as a CF for us. Committed for football and could play football only if he goes pro in baseball.

Hollis Porter is a corner OF/1B guy who is a LH hitter from East Central HS which is an underrated baseball program in Mississippi. He's 6'3" and can run.

Aiden Fancher is a power hitter from Winston Academy who may be drafted but I think he comes to school. He has worked out a lot with former MSU baseball players like Adam Frazier.

Stone Blanton corner outfielder who was injured playing baseball for MRA last year. Could see his stock rise with a strong year this year. Projects as a corner outfielder/LB for MSU.

JUCO

Ernie Day and Nathan Williams are both hard throwing JUCO pitchers that will compete for spots in the bullpen.

Final grade

I'll give this class an A. I think the number 4-6 ranking is fair at this point. While there are some moderate draft risks there are already good back up players already in place. As you can see, MSU covered every position group and this class reminds me a bit of Jake Mangum's class which started the current MSU golden era. We should be legitimately excited about this class.
    Son of a Bitch Todd. Is this year your own personal shit?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Lemonis didn't really have his players in last year. I could see this being the start of something very special- well it already is.
    ... so this is where it starts to get special?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    ... so this is where it starts to get special?
    That was last season. And I don't think this team is better than last season. It's got more young talent, but it's baseball, and talent is more than a metric. Who will hit that bomb that Allen hit to win the VA game? Who will pitch like his life depends on it like Bednar? Who comes off the bench to win game at the plate? Who closes like a damn demon?
    We should hit the ball. We know we've got arm talent but some inconsistencies and lots of new faces.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 11-12-2021 at 09:49 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    That was last season. And I don't think this team is better than last season. It's got more young talent, but it's baseball, and talent is more than a metric. Who will hit that bomb that Allen hit to win the VA game? Who will pitch like his life depends on it like Bednar? Who comes off the bench to win game at the plate? Who closes like a damn demon?
    We should hit the ball. We know we've got arm talent but some inconsistencies and lots of new faces.
    Last year's group was an outstanding TEAM and put it all together at the right time. This year's team has more talent and will produce better stats. Doesnt mean they will win a title- but it does mean they could and should be better. Better stats doesnt mean a championship unfortunately.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Ari is correct- the 2022 team is better than the 2021 NC team. But baseball is like it is and it doesnt mean we will win another title. We will be better offensively and still have a ton of arm talent.

This signing class plus the next one that is projected to be even better should have everyone happy about where we are in baseball.
    More power this year, returning catcher that is a year older, & deeper. If Sims is top shelf on Friday night, we should be the #1 team in the country.

LSU & Arkansas have better lineups but they don't have pitching or catching
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More