Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kicking try outs

vCash

Kicking try outs

Article below. Man I knew our special teams was bad but man.. those numbers are awful when it comes to kicking. How are we that bad and who is the special teams coach? Ruiz was suppose to be the real deal, what happened.

https://247sports.com/college/missis...ng--174870167/

vCash
    Ruiz has had some injuries as we all know but kickers tend to be flakey. Sometimes they get the yips and sometimes they just can't perform.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    A guy named Logan was working out at the soccer complex tonight. He hit 3 in a row for 50+. Cleared what would have been the height of the uprights on the last ball would have been good from 60. He says he was showing up to win the spot.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    A guy named Logan was working out at the soccer complex tonight. He hit 3 in a row for 50+. Cleared what would have been the height of the uprights on the last ball would have been good from 60. He says he was showing up to win the spot.
    How will he perform under Pressure is the main Question.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    yep....i could kick 60 + in high school without anyone rushing me. When i was rushed i looked like Charlie Brown. same with catching a baseball behind home plate anytime a batter swung the bat i blinked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    Article below. Man I knew our special teams was bad but man.. those numbers are awful when it comes to kicking. How are we that bad and who is the special teams coach? Ruiz was suppose to be the real deal, what happened.

https://247sports.com/college/missis...ng--174870167/
    Can we hold try-outs for long snapper and holder too? Both of those are just as important as kicking it. The last kick against Arkansas was a poor snap and hold as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolfer View Post
    Can we hold try-outs for long snapper and holder too? Both of those are just as important as kicking it. The last kick against Arkansas was a poor snap and hold as well.
    I'll say it- just stop playing Tucker Day. And I'll take the heat for calling him out by name from the holier than thou's after I've seen him laughing coming off the field after shanking a punt and cutting up the entire game. He needs to get his ass in gear or leave.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'll say it- just stop playing Tucker Day. And I'll take the heat for calling him out by name from the holier than thou's after I've seen him laughing coming off the field after shanking a punt and cutting up the entire game. He needs to get his ass in gear or leave.
    Special teams have not been special at all, I just don't understand why Coaches don't put more work/effort/time into this important phase three of the game. Week after week I see losing because of special team play. I do know in the NFL they take it serious, and don't tell me because they get paid. Oh, I'm not just talking about kicking the ball, it's blocking, tackling and coverage.

Senior Member Vandownbytheriver's Avatar
    vCash
    We've had a history of bad punters. Not sure why we can't find a good one. He's given the other team too good field position on multiple occasions. Just don't understand why that one facet of our team always under performs.

vCash
    They were throwing wrenches at him when he kicked the 60 yarder

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    In this offense shouldn't it be tennis balls?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!

vCash
    That's extremely annoying, but if a punter or kicker is good, I'm not sure that not caring that much is a problem. If they live and die based off their performance, I could see that being less conducive to being clutch.

vCash
    Frank Beamer made a name for himself off special teams alone. His VT teams won so many games because of great special teams play. I wish Leach would try to watch some of those game films because Beamer had that unit executing at the highest level in college football I have ever seen

vCash
    So, the entire men's soccer team showed up to try out? Is that correct?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    That's extremely annoying, but if a punter or kicker is good, I'm not sure that not caring that much is a problem. If they live and die based off their performance, I could see that being less conducive to being clutch.
    That's the problem. If he was regularly booming 50+ yarders then no one would care. The problem is that he's consistently gotten worse every season he has been here and his attitude has stayed the same.

Banned
    vCash
    Im damned good on the driving range; not so much when on the course

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    So, the entire men's soccer team showed up to try out? Is that correct?
    Men's or women's team shouldn't matter. If anyone can make it, so be it.

vCash
    Jackie Sherrill always took pride in special teams, particularly the kicking game. And in general, over the years Auburn has always seemed to excel in kicking teams.

vCash
    We do currently have a punter and long snapper in the NFL. How many college teams can say that?

We've had some good punters here and there - Jeff Walker and Todd Jordan to name a couple.

Hardest hit I ever saw on kickoff of Jeff Walker decleating the Bama guy that day at Scott Field. It was awesome. Walker was put together like 240.