Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was the last time we made a game winning FG the 2007 Egg Bowl?

Banned
    vCash

Was the last time we made a game winning FG the 2007 Egg Bowl?

I think teams (both us and our opponent) are on like a 1-15 streak since that game with GW FG attempts. 2016 UK is the only one that I can remember since 07 Egg. Someone double check my memory.

vCash
    St. Petersburg bowl win over Miami (Ohio) in 2016, and I think that's it.

It's pretty crazy looking back over our scores the last decade plus just how few have been decided by 3 points or less, or even by a TD or less. We tended to win fairly comfortably and lose big.

vCash
    Well we lost the Egg Bowl in 2007. But I did a google search and man all I saw was heartbreak and sorrow in that department. Arkansas this year, South Alabama, LSU, 1983 Egg Bowl. All lost on last-second field goal misses.
    I remember Arkansas spoiling two or three attempts in 2000 during that Godawful sleet storm. That was the worst.

The last time I remember a kicker winning a game is in 1999 against Kentucky. I'm sure there are others but that's the last I remember.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

It's pretty crazy looking back over our scores the last decade plus just how few have been decided by 3 points or less, or even by a TD or less. We tended to win fairly comfortably and lose big.
    Didn't we block a field goal against Miami Oh. to win that game?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadrupleOption View Post
    Well we lost the Egg Bowl in 2007. But I did a google search and man all I saw was heartbreak and sorrow in that department. Arkansas this year, South Alabama, LSU, 1983 Egg Bowl. All lost on last-second field goal misses.
    I remember Arkansas spoiling two or three attempts in 2000 during that Godawful sleet storm. That was the worst.

The last time I remember a kicker winning a game is in 1999 against Kentucky. I'm sure there are others but that's the last I remember.
    Definitely won the Egg Bowl in 07 on Adam Carlson?s GW kick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    This. It was the game that got ogre fired. 17-14 Dawgs

vCash

I thought we also beat Arky on a FG in the Sleet game!

vCash

1999 Ole Miss game too - the Tip/Pick/Kick game
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Didn't we block a field goal against Miami Oh. to win that game?
    Yes, you're right. I wasn't even looking at the time left, we kicked our FG with 12 minutes left in the game. So it doesn't really apply here.

vCash
    Miami, OH and Arky both mentioned. We blocked FG's to win both of those. If the Arky sleet game you're talking about is 2000 not 2015, Westerfield actually had A FG blocked which sent it to OT where we lost 17-10.

vCash
    If memory serves the DOGS beat #4 Tigahs in the first night game (portable lights) at Scott Field on a last second FG by a kid from La. The coldest game I remember and probably one of the five best......John Bond at his toughest......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lastmajordog View Post
    If memory serves the DOGS beat #4 Tigahs in the first night game (portable lights) at Scott Field on a last second FG by a kid from La. The coldest game I remember and probably one of the five best......John Bond at his toughest......
    1982. I remember watching that on TV as a 9 year old. That was a big deal.

Weird year. We were decent. Started 3-0, lost 6 straight, then beat LSU and Ole Miss.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

We hit our FG well before it was game winning. I guess I could have specified as Game ending.

We definitely won that one as CC said it got O fired.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Sigh. I was thinking about the 1997 game we lost on the last second two point conversion.

Jeez I'm old.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    I thought we also beat Arky on a FG in the Sleet game!
    No, we lost. It was the start of the downfall in the JWS era. We were never the same after that game. The downward spiral continued on in to the next two seasons (01-02). I may be wrong but that is how I remember it.

vCash
    I can't think of a game ending, winning FG for State since the 2007 Egg Bowl. We had a game tying, pressure kick that we made vs Arkansas in 2010 to send the game to OT.

The St Pete bowl we blocked a kick at the end to win, just like at Arkansas 2015. But our winning points in the bowl game, off a FG, came with 12 minutes left.

The only game winning FGs made by State, that I can think of...... are 2007 EB, 1999 v UK and OM, 1998 Arkansas, 1997 v Memphis (which there may have been some time left but it was very close to the end of the game). I may be missing some. I don't have very good recall on the Croom era for whatever reason....ha. Also, Artie Cosby hit a 54 yarder v Memphis around 1984 or 85. THen someone mentioned Dana Moore's winning FG v LSU at home.

Oh, didn't we MISS a game tying or winning v LSU in 2015? Early in the season at home.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy_RoadDawg View Post
    No, we lost. It was the start of the downfall in the JWS era. We were never the same after that game. The downward spiral continued on in to the next two seasons (01-02). I may be wrong but that is how I remember it.
    Maybe, I remember that game.

The start to me was 2001 and 9/11. We had started season well but that home loss to USC really did us in. The 2001 O had every starter returning except the center Fair. The O just never got going after that.

The other problem in 2001 was we lost another NFL entire DL. The JUCO fills ins were too big a drop off and several were busts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I think teams (both us and our opponent) are on like a 1-15 streak since that game with GW FG attempts. 2016 UK is the only one that I can remember since 07 Egg. Someone double check my memory.
    2013 didn't we hit the game tying FG to send to OT?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    2013 didn't we hit the game tying FG to send to OT?
    Hit a 36 yd FG with 2:21 to go to tie it and then missed a 39 yd fg to win it as time expired.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Hit a 36 yd FG with 2:21 to go to tie it and then missed a 39 yd fg to win it as time expired.
    Yeah I was thinking we tried two. Wasn't the second one a long one though? That game was the legend of Dak born.