Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I am really proud of this team!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    Editing the bold because you posted the above while I was creating this.
    You have yet to bring anything other than your opinion to this conversation. because of this I will look at the stats.

everyone with a rushing yard:
    marks
    Johnson
    Lovertich 1 rush
    Jernighan
    Rogers
    3 sophomores 2 juniors (2 juniors are garbage time)

Receiving:
    Polk-Sophomore
    Walley-sophomore
    A. Williams-senior
    Marks-sophomore
    M. Heath-senior
    D. Johnson-sophomore
    C. Ford- junior
    Rara. Thomas-freshman
    J. Calvin-sophomore
    L. Griffin-sophomore
    JJ. Jernighan-junior
    C. Ducking-junior
    R. Harvey--freshman
    O. Wells-senior
    Rogers-sophomore
    sophomore-6 freshman - 2 junior - 3 senior - 3

Defense:
    Jett- junior
    N. Watson-junior
    F. Peters-senior
    Forbes-sophomore
    Emerson-Junior
    Brule- junior
    C. Young- junior
    Wheat-junior
    Duncan-junior
    Green-senior
    Charlton-junior
    Preston-junior
    Pickering-junior
    Crumedy-junior
    Odom-senior
    Timbs-senior
    J. Harris-sophomore
    D. Richardson-sophomore
    Furdge-junior
    D. Russell- sophomore
    J. Dean-freshman
    C. Ellington-freshman
    freshman-2 sophomore-4 junior-12 senior-4

freshman-sophomores = 17 players.
    juniors - seniors = 24

offense is more young than old.
    defense is more old than young.

This applies to experience as well.

These are the players from ESPN with stats.

I still think this is pretty even, to say that we are a senior laden team is the same "lie" as me saying we are freshman sophomore "team".
    I definitely never said this. I hope you are not insinuating that I said we are a senior laden team. What I said was "Our starters are mostly juniors with some seniors and sophomores. A couple of freshman get playing time." That was before I looked at the numbers, but I was still very close. I would amend to say we have more juniors than anything else. Seniors and sophomores are about equal. Very few freshman. Overall, we are a mostly upper classmen team.

I used stats from hailstate.com. I believe using players with considerable playing time is more accurate than anyone who's ever touched the ball or stepped foot on the field.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Our run game? Marks avgs 3.56 yds/carry, and Johnson avgs 4.50 yds/carry. For comparison, every one of their primary ball carriers avgs more than our best.

The one area their defense concerns me is sacks. They're tied for #1 nationally in sacks. They're gonna put pressure on us
    Ole Miss will not put pressure on us. To do that they will have to bring pressure which is how they have gotten sacks. They can’t do that against us just like no one else outside of Alabama has been able to do that without getting torched. Teams have to play us completely different than they play anyone else on their schedule.

vCash
    Our run game? Marks avgs 3.56 yds/carry, and Johnson avgs 4.50 yds/carry. For comparison, every one of their primary ball carriers avgs more than our best.

The one area their defense concerns me is sacks. They're tied for #1 nationally in sacks. They're gonna put pressure on us
    Yeah, but that was drastically inflated this past weekend. They got like 8 sacks verse Liberty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Ole Miss will not put pressure on us. To do that they will have to bring pressure which is how they have gotten sacks. They can’t do that against us just like no one else outside of Alabama has been able to do that without getting torched.
    They don't care about giving up big plays bc their offense can score quick too. They attack to try and get big plays. They're 2nd in sec in forced TOs and #1 in TO margin. They give up the most 10+ Yd plays in the sec, and they get the most 10+ yd plays in sec. They're just fine with 38-35 type game... hell, they want it

vCash
    Yeah, but that was drastically inflated this past weekend. They got like 8 sacks verse Liberty.
    They're #1 in sec in sacks/game in conference games only

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    I definitely never said this. I hope you are not insinuating that I said we are a senior laden team. What I said was "Our starters are mostly juniors with some seniors and sophomores. A couple of freshman get playing time." That was before I looked at the numbers, but I was still very close. I would amend to say we have more juniors than anything else. Seniors and sophomores are about equal. Very few freshman. Overall, we are a mostly upper classmen team.

I used stats from hailstate.com. I believe using players with considerable playing time is more accurate than anyone who's ever touched the ball or stepped foot on the field.
    I know you never said that, but you are insinuating that to be the case when you say things that imply anyone thinking we are a younger team is a "lie". The only thing different than that is to say we are a senior laden team.

I will agree with you that we as a whole are a more senior laden team. But, however you slice this cake when it comes to experience and playing time we are a more freshman team. Most people getting snaps this year it is their first or second year with significant playing time.

vCash
    I think our keys to beating OM are don't turn the ball over, and force 4th down and stop em on 4th.

Do these 2 things, and we should be fine. They shun a lot of fg attempts and field position plays to go on 4th

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    They don't care about giving up big plays bc their offense can score quick too. They attack to try and get big plays. They're 2nd in sec in forced TOs and #1 in TO margin. They give up the most 10+ Yd plays in the sec, and they get the most 10+ yd plays in sec. They're just fine with 38-35 type game... hell, they want it
    They had the same DC last year and did not do that against us. I hope like hell they play us the same as they do everyone else because we will beat them by 2 touchdowns. They are not the only team we have played this year that likes to bring pressure but they did not against us because the DC knew that would be stupid. If they go Bo Pelini on us they will get the same result if not worse. If that defense brings pressure all night they won’t give up 35. They will give up 45 or 50.
    Last edited by Jarius; 11-09-2021 at 03:51 PM.

vCash
    They're #1 in sec in sacks/game in conference games only
    That changes things. 16 sacks in conference is pretty good.

vCash
    They had the same DC last year and did not do that against us. I hope like hell they play us the same as they do everyone else because we will beat them by 2 touchdowns. They are not the only team we have played this year that likes to bring pressure but they did not against us because the DC knew that would be stupid. If they go Bo Pelini on us they will get the same result if not worse. If that defense brings pressure all night they won’t give up 35. They will give up 45 or 50.
    There's a difference in bringing the house, and just bringing guys from different areas

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    There's a difference in bringing the house, and just bringing guys from different areas
    Will Rogers has developed too much for that. Ole Miss has below average SEC talent on defense. If they bring more than 4 they will get destroyed. Our offense is built to beat pressure and Will has gotten extremely good at recognizing it. OM will play us the same way everyone else does because it gives them the best chance to slow us down. If they get cute on defense they will have to score way more than they normally do to beat us.

Banned
    vCash
    Will Rogers has developed too much for that. Ole Miss has below average SEC talent on defense. If they bring more than 4 they will get destroyed. Our offense is built to beat pressure and Will has gotten extremely good at recognizing it. OM will play us the same way everyone else does because it gives them the best chance to slow us down. If they get cute on defense they will have to score way more than they normally do to beat us.
    This. Don't be like 7. Don't.

vCash
    I have no clue what I'm talking about when it comes to recruiting and what we actually need, BUT it seems to me that what we're really lacking is some bigtime playmakers. It seems we have decent to good guys everywhere, and even depth, but we don't really have any superstar game changer type players.
    I would agree in general moreso on the defense than the offense. I just think more than anything a lot of our guys on defense just don't really fit that well in a 3-3-5 at certain spots. I think Leach and Arnett are doing a good job in recruiting as far as identifying players with the skill sets to fit the scheme better in the future though. But it will take a couple of years for those players to develop like any other player. We're reaping what we've sown from Dan recruiting a JUCO heavy class in 2017. Which is why we do not have very many seniors now.

vCash

You need a good percentage of juniors/seniors to win in the SEC. And we don't have a ton of seniors. Your seniors are your team leaders that keep everyone together. If a team doesn't have that they have to rely on players that are not veterans and are learning themselves. Will Rogers is our team leader. And he's only a sophomore. That's tough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    You need a good percentage of juniors/seniors to win in the SEC. And we don't have a ton of seniors. Your seniors are your team leaders that keep everyone together. If a team doesn't have that they have to rely on players that are not veterans and are learning themselves. Will Rogers is our team leader. And he's only a sophomore. That's tough.
    Perfectly summed up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    It is hard to lead when you are still figured your own crap out.

vCash
    It is hard to lead when you are still figured your own crap out.
    Well, ready or not, that year is next year. The majority of our starters and significant playing time folks from this year will be juniors and seniors. Next year is shaping up to be similar to what Daks junior year was. And even though Dak was probably better as a senior, the team wasn't overall. That's what next year is looking like for us. If we don't have a big year next year, it's probably going to be at least a few more years before we have another shot at it.

vCash
    Well, ready or not, that year is next year. The majority of our starters and significant playing time folks from this year will be juniors and seniors. Next year is shaping up to be similar to what Daks junior year was. And even though Dak was probably better as a senior, the team wasn't overall. That's what next year is looking like for us. If we don't have a big year next year, it's probably going to be at least a few more years before we have another shot at it.
    I agree, But, if we can close out well with recruiting this year, and return most of our juniors. heck even our seniors if they dont get a great grade from the draft. That would be huge for the experience to return.

vCash
    Depends on how consistently we can continue to recruit and manage our roster. As a developmental program we're not going to get a ton of 4-5 stars so we have to rely on player development moreso than others. Dan was really bad at managing our roster and that's why we had holes under him and sometimes enough holes to go 6-6. What we're experiencing now is again because Dan went JUCO heavy trying to get out of here in 2017- at least it yielded a number one defense- and Leach having to kick a lot of players off the team mostly last year.

If Leach can roll out teams of mostly juniors and seniors as our starters we will be consistently good.

vCash
    In Leachs entire career he has never had a good defense. This is the first time he’s got a pretty good defense.. When his offense really gets cooking, that defense is going to make this program really tough to play against.