Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I am really proud of this team!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Speaking of skyrocketing, Rogers has moved from 10th in both passer rating and QBR to 6th and 5th respectively. There's your offensive improvement
    As he moves in the pocket more, it's forcing these zone defense to commit, which opens big plays
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Still seeing too much bad football. But the plan is to be rolling next year if the OL and DBs work out.
    Oh, and K and P.
    Agree. We've got a lot to improve on & have to stop spotting the opposing team 10 points to start every game. We need to start faster & obviously fix the special teams issues
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    You know, I keep thinking about what this team has accomplished. It really is something of note.

-Everyone said we would be last in the west.
    -Everyone said we would be a below 500 team.
    -A lot of people thought Leach would be on the chopping block this year.
    -We have mostly freshman and sophomores playing hard and winning.
    -We are extremely young when it comes to experience and we are some special teams mistakes away from being 8-1, that's huge!
    -Even with the special teams mistakes we are two HORRIBLE calls away from being 7-2. Like guys that is massive.

I don't know! I am just really proud of this team and this staff, they are in the process of greatly overachieving this year.

I think we play Auburn really well this weekend, giving ourselves a chance to win. Bama killed us, I don't think Auburn is at the level of Bama.

It is just really exciting about where we are and what we can do and how we can finish! Hailstate
    The goal this year was a bowl and to take some steps. Check.

vCash
    If we can keep Arnett and he can figure out 3rd and long, we have some exciting times ahead.

And get a kicker, obviously.

The offense is going to be a DC nightmare next few years if Rogers stays healthy. I don?t think our fan base has wrapped their mind around the fact Leach and Rogers stroll into hostile away games like A&M and Arkansas with a bunch of underclass men and do business.

vCash
    Question is, how are we crooting? Are we doing enough in the trenches to maintain growth? I'm genuinely asking, bc I stopped keeping up with it. Was costing me years watching those turds commit and flip and hat fake and shit. Clowns

vCash
    To me the key as far as needs/personnel are:

1. Kicker. May be prisoner of the moment but they are literally almost the sole difference between 5-4 and 8-1 right now. Leach may not find one between now and the Egg Bowl but I bet he finds one somewhere by next year. Where the kicker comes from could be interesting. I'm not ruling anything out at the moment.

2. Safety. We're simply too slow and we're playing at least two guys that really belong at hybrid LB. We need to start recruiting corners and converting them to safety because the ones we have now lack ball skills, speed, and are not good at tackling. Duncan should be moved to DOG safety next year. If Green stays that will help because I think he will get better. I am curious to see what Corey Ellington, Dylan Lawrence, and Janari Dean can do next year.

3. We need another DE that can rush the passer in addition to Jordan Davis coming back. We have too many DT types and none of them are very good at creating pressure on the passer. They are solid against the run though so they have value but I think they are playing out of position in most cases. DeMonte Russell may be the answer here though. And I really like DonTerry Russell and RJ Moss for the future.

4. Along that same vein- we need some OLB types that can rush the passer. We have too many MLB types. I'd like to see us get a couple of veteran LB's with some length that can rush the passer and move Wheat if he comes back to DE which may help solve some of the issues there as I think he is somewhat playing out of position, move Brule to MLB along with Jett and use Watson as a utility guy that can play all three spots. John Lewis, Ty Cooper, and maybe Khalid Moore could help with this some. So they'll be good in time but we need guys that we know can play now.

5. OL appears to be an issue because we haven't used a ton of guys other then the six we typically have seen. But I don't think it will be as bad as people fear because Dollar Bill, Cole Smith, and Kam Jones all return and all three have played a lot and started. I think we take at least 1-2 JUCO guys but I also think that we have some potential starters in Nick Jones, Reed Buys, Carson Williams, and Albert Reese.

6. CB- We need someone to replace Emerson but I think that Cordarian Richardson can handle it if we whiff on the JUCO/transfer market. Still a need there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Question is, how are we crooting? Are we doing enough in the trenches to maintain growth? I'm genuinely asking, bc I stopped keeping up with it. Was costing me years watching those turds commit and flip and hat fake and shit. Clowns
    Yea I quit keeping up too. Our most talented class ended up being a class rated in the 40s. The class that was close to top 15 in 2015 I think ended up being a real turd of a class. Its a crapshoot between 15 and 30 really.

vCash
    You know, I keep thinking about what this team has accomplished. It really is something of note.

-Everyone said we would be last in the west.
    -Everyone said we would be a below 500 team.
    -A lot of people thought Leach would be on the chopping block this year.
    -We have mostly freshman and sophomores playing hard and winning.
    -We are extremely young when it comes to experience and we are some special teams mistakes away from being 8-1, that's huge!
    -Even with the special teams mistakes we are two HORRIBLE calls away from being 7-2. Like guys that is massive.

I don't know! I am just really proud of this team and this staff, they are in the process of greatly overachieving this year.

I think we play Auburn really well this weekend, giving ourselves a chance to win. Bama killed us, I don't think Auburn is at the level of Bama.

It is just really exciting about where we are and what we can do and how we can finish! Hailstate
    Yet again, this is not true. I don't know why this has to keep being brought up wrongly every week. Our starters are mostly juniors with some seniors and sophomores. A couple of freshman get playing time. Age wise, we are about average in the country. You can say we're inexperienced, but please quit saying we're full of freshman and sophomores because that is a lie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    To me the key as far as needs/personnel are:

1. Kicker. May be prisoner of the moment but they are literally almost the sole difference between 5-4 and 8-1 right now. Leach may not find one between now and the Egg Bowl but I bet he finds one somewhere by next year. Where the kicker comes from could be interesting. I'm not ruling anything out at the moment.

2. Safety. We're simply too slow and we're playing at least two guys that really belong at hybrid LB. We need to start recruiting corners and converting them to safety because the ones we have now lack ball skills, speed, and are not good at tackling. Duncan should be moved to DOG safety next year. If Green stays that will help because I think he will get better. I am curious to see what Corey Ellington, Dylan Lawrence, and Janari Dean can do next year.

3. We need another DE that can rush the passer in addition to Jordan Davis coming back. We have too many DT types and none of them are very good at creating pressure on the passer. They are solid against the run though so they have value but I think they are playing out of position in most cases. DeMonte Russell may be the answer here though. And I really like DonTerry Russell and RJ Moss for the future.

4. Along that same vein- we need some OLB types that can rush the passer. We have too many MLB types. I'd like to see us get a couple of veteran LB's with some length that can rush the passer and move Wheat if he comes back to DE which may help solve some of the issues there as I think he is somewhat playing out of position, move Brule to MLB along with Jett and use Watson as a utility guy that can play all three spots. John Lewis, Ty Cooper, and maybe Khalid Moore could help with this some. So they'll be good in time but we need guys that we know can play now.

5. OL appears to be an issue because we haven't used a ton of guys other then the six we typically have seen. But I don't think it will be as bad as people fear because Dollar Bill, Cole Smith, and Kam Jones all return and all three have played a lot and started. I think we take at least 1-2 JUCO guys but I also think that we have some potential starters in Nick Jones, Reed Buys, Carson Williams, and Albert Reese.

6. CB- We need someone to replace Emerson but I think that Cordarian Richardson can handle it if we whiff on the JUCO/transfer market. Still a need there.
    I have no clue what I'm talking about when it comes to recruiting and what we actually need, BUT it seems to me that what we're really lacking is some bigtime playmakers. It seems we have decent to good guys everywhere, and even depth, but we don't really have any superstar game changer type players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    Yet again, this is not true. I don't know why this has to keep being brought up wrongly every week. Our starters are mostly juniors with some seniors and sophomores. A couple of freshman get playing time. Age wise, we are about average in the country. You can say we're inexperienced, but please quit saying we're full of freshman and sophomores because that is a lie.
    QB=True Sophomore
    Both RBs= sophomore
    Tulu=sophomore
    Wally=sophomore
    Rara= sophomore
    Polk=sophomore
    Ford=R-junior but he was a walk-on I believe this is his first year to letter.
    Cross=R-sophomore

the other four linemen are jr and sr.
    Malik heath is a Sr

I'll level with you and say that we have a 50/50 split. But, we are not a senior laden offense especially at the skill position.

vCash
    QB=True Sophomore
    Both RBs= sophomore
    Tulu=sophomore
    Wally=sophomore
    Rara= sophomore
    Polk=sophomore
    Cross=R-sophomore

Malik heath is a Sr

I'll level with you and say that we have a 50/50 split. But, we are not a senior laden offense especially at the skill position.
    To build off that aren't they technically a year below as above since last year didn't count? I understand the argument is about experience but they were negated a summer and those other teams had guys that got to stay an extra year hence even more experience

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    To build off that aren't they technically a year below as above since last year didn't count? I understand the argument is about experience but they were negated a summer and those other teams had guys that got to stay an extra year hence even more experience
    I am counting them as covid wasn't a thing. technically everyone last year got a "redshirt playing year" if you want to call it anything.

vCash
    QB=True Sophomore
    Both RBs= sophomore
    Tulu=sophomore
    Wally=sophomore
    Rara= sophomore
    Polk=sophomore
    Cross=R-sophomore

Malik heath is a Sr

and where's all these freshmen you were talking about? Also, you never said you were only talking about offense. Even still, we rotate a lot of WRs, so yeah, we've got some sophomores there. Our QB and RBs are sophomores. Thats about it. We have more juniors getting minutes than the rest combined. Seniors and sophomores are probably close to equal, and freshman very little.

I don't really care what our makeup is. I just wish people would quit lying about the how old our team is to try to make some justification. Just call it like it is.

vCash
    and where's all these freshmen you were talking about? Also, you never said you were only talking about offense. Even still, we rotate a lot of WRs, so yeah, we've got some sophomores there. Our QB and RBs are sophomores. Thats about it. We have more juniors getting minutes than the rest combined. Seniors and sophomores are probably close to equal, and freshman very little.

I don't really care what our makeup is. I just wish people would quit lying about the how old our team is to try to make some justification. Just call it like it is.
    Nobody is lying. I went through the majority of those that get snaps on offense, most of them are sophomores. Rara is a freshman, my bad. Most people that are getting significant playing time are underclassmen. if you think otherwise, prove me wrong, please. But, don't sit here and say that everyone who brings this up is "lying" because we aren't.

vCash
    👆🏼Easy excuse that makes people feel better as they can?t control that.

vCash
    Nobody is lying. I went through the majority of those that get snaps on offense, most of them are sophomores. Rara is a freshman, my bad. Most people that are getting significant playing time are underclassmen. if you think otherwise, prove me wrong, please. But, don't sit here and say that everyone who brings this up is "lying" because we aren't.
    So all of your points were about the team, except the one that said we were mostly freshmen and sophomores, which was only referring to offense, or possibly offensive playmakers?

I think otherwise...

Players with 7 or more starts:
    senior: 6
    junior: 8
    sophomore: 6
    freshmen: 0

Total juniors and seniors: 14
    Total freshmen and sophomores: 6

Players with either at least 5 starts or 7 or more games played:
    senior: 12
    junior: 16
    sophomore: 12
    freshmen: 4

Total juniors and seniors: 28
    Total freshmen and sophomores: 16
    Last edited by sleepy dawg; 11-09-2021 at 02:10 PM. Reason: added stats

vCash
    So all of your points were about the team, except the one that said we were mostly freshmen and sophomores, which was only referring to offense, or possibly offensive playmakers?
    Editing the bold because you posted the above while I was creating this.
    You have yet to bring anything other than your opinion to this conversation. because of this I will look at the stats.

everyone with a rushing yard:
    marks
    Johnson
    Lovertich 1 rush
    Jernighan
    Rogers
    3 sophomores 2 juniors (2 juniors are garbage time)

Receiving:
    Polk-Sophomore
    Walley-sophomore
    A. Williams-senior
    Marks-sophomore
    M. Heath-senior
    D. Johnson-sophomore
    C. Ford- junior
    Rara. Thomas-freshman
    J. Calvin-sophomore
    L. Griffin-sophomore
    JJ. Jernighan-junior
    C. Ducking-junior
    R. Harvey--freshman
    O. Wells-senior
    Rogers-sophomore
    sophomore-6 freshman - 2 junior - 3 senior - 3

Defense:
    Jett- junior
    N. Watson-junior
    F. Peters-senior
    Forbes-sophomore
    Emerson-Junior
    Brule- junior
    C. Young- junior
    Wheat-junior
    Duncan-junior
    Green-senior
    Charlton-junior
    Preston-junior
    Pickering-junior
    Crumedy-junior
    Odom-senior
    Timbs-senior
    J. Harris-sophomore
    D. Richardson-sophomore
    Furdge-junior
    D. Russell- sophomore
    J. Dean-freshman
    C. Ellington-freshman
    freshman-2 sophomore-4 junior-12 senior-4

freshman-sophomores = 17 players.
    juniors - seniors = 24

offense is more young than old.
    defense is more old than young.

This applies to experience as well.

These are the players from ESPN with stats.

I still think this is pretty even, to say that we are a senior laden team is the same "lie" as me saying we are freshman sophomore "team".
    Last edited by Maverick91; 11-09-2021 at 02:45 PM.

vCash
    Ole Miss should be nervous when facing us. There defense is suspect. I think we are tough against Auburn and beat up on ole miss.

I like our defense and our run game.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I'm happy with our progress but we've got to aggressively address the holes on this team that are holding us back this year & the holes that could hold us back next year
    Getting a kicker is the easiest thing to fix especially with the portal. Jordan Davis will hopefully cure our pass rushing issues but he is coming off major surgery so we will see. The biggest issue will be finding a LT. If we do that we have a chance to be really good next year even with a tough schedule.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    Ole Miss should be nervous when facing us. There defense is suspect. I think we are tough against Auburn and beat up on ole miss.

I like our defense and our run game.
    Our run game? Marks avgs 3.56 yds/carry, and Johnson avgs 4.50 yds/carry. For comparison, every one of their primary ball carriers avgs more than our best.

The one area their defense concerns me is sacks. They're tied for #1 nationally in sacks. They're gonna put pressure on us