Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Multiple firings at fla

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Tough spot. If Mullen does survive- who will take the DC job knowing Mullen is likely a lame duck in 2022?
    Geoff Collins*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Here's the problem, nobody is going to consistently put up 11-12 wins there. Or anywhere. Bama does it w saban but when he leaves the next guy is screwed. The standard at these places Is so high and can't be met. Not defending Dan this year. But otherwise he's been really good there. But one bad year and yatzee
    But it's not just that. I think they're upset with him looking around, catering to his friends, poor recruiting, and all of the other things that made MSU fans mad. In addition to the losing. They know that they are not going to compete with his recruiting with the way Georgia is going and Tennessee could pass them very soon. They've been beaten by Kentucky twice now and South Carolina. They could and should legitimately be doing better and I think they're trying to keep things from falling off the rails.

Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yeah it's actually gotten pretty ridiculous with peoples expectations. I actually heard Saban say that winning each week was more of a relief than a joy because of the expectations.
    If Saban feels that way that tells me he probably won't be coaching much longer. I would imagine that once you've been to the top of the mountain as much as he has it just isn't as exciting as it once was. We'll see how the future plays out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fader21 View Post
    HEV unfollowed both Dan and Megan. He must be pissed.
    Hevesy blocked me on Twitter even though I had never tweeted anything at him personally. Definitely have criticized him moreso on message boards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    I don?t know exactly what has happened at Florida but Grantham is a good defensive football coach. As for Dan he is going to excel places with middle of the road expectations. Like state, South Carolina, ole miss, and places like that. Because he can find diamonds in the rough type kids. . He can?t recruit well enough to excel at lower end programs like vandy, Kansas, and duke or to compete against big boys so he he wouldn?t fit at a place like Florida, Georgia, Texas, or Oklahoma type places. Put him at wake, MSU, mich state, Iowa state, Kansas state and such and watch him excel.
    Has anyone else noticed that the level of physicality in the Florida players has gone downhill just as in the Texas players. It's just not the Gators but also FSU and the U. What is the major type of Schemes are the high schools playing there? It seems that if you want big strong physical players you go to Louisiana Alabama or Georgia now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yeah it's actually gotten pretty ridiculous with peoples expectations. I actually heard Saban say that winning each week was more of a relief than a joy because of the expectations.
    I believe that's an old quote (I don't know if he's sad it recently)... He seems to have more fun and loosen up more each season based on my observations...

He's prolly got ~5 more years in him, IMO.... ETA - that roster is gonna be loaded next year, too....
    Last edited by TUSK; 11-08-2021 at 01:34 AM.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Absolutely we should take him on staff if he wants to come back as an analyst.
    Provided it is acceptable to Arnett.

vCash
    Today is nothing compared to following a loss at home to FSU after losing on the road at zou

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    I believe that's an old quote (I don't know if he's sad it recently)... He seems to have more fun and loosen up more each season based on my observations...

He's prolly got ~5 more years in him, IMO.... ETA - that roster is gonna be loaded next year, too....
    Bama does get their money's worth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fader21 View Post
    HEV unfollowed both Dan and Megan. He must be pissed.
    That's pretty sorry on Hev's part. Mullen's stuck by him for over a decade despite the presence of a consistently large group of relevant individuals unsatisfied with his job performance. He's lived in this world long enough that he should know how the game is played, and he's lucky Mullen isn't most other coaches who would have scapegoated him ten years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Wow. Mullen sells out a long time buddy to save his own ass. Respect..gone.
    No huge Mullen fan, but Hevesy made his own bed here. He was constantly a dick and costing them recruits (like he did at MSU) and the way he saved his job was by being good enough at coaching players up to make up for the hit to recruiting. He stopped living up to his end of the bargain this year. After leading the SEC in rushing the first half of the year, they have fallen off a cliff. Not sure if it's injuries or players just quitting on him, but you can't run a power spread offense if you can't run the ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    How do you change OL coaches mid-season?

That seems like a complete disaster
    Shows you how pissed UF is about recruiting. They'd rather hurt this season than let Hev near recruits anymore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post

Oh it's from several years ago but it just shows how much even he has to deal with unrealistic expectations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The truth is Dan never really was Florida caliber as a coach. He simply does not recruit well enough and while he is a good coach he is not going to beat many people that have better talent than his team. He has his personal beliefs that limit him-such as playing upperclassmen no matter what and that jades his view of what his team is.
    You're selling Dan short here. Dan is not going to beat people with in game coaching. He's going to beat them with preparation and development, and he'll absolutely win games against teams with better talent. But with a few exceptions, you generally know where his team is and how they should perform against other teams that you have an idea of how good they are.

Of course, that's all gone out the window as of late last year. Not sure if he's just lost the locker room or if he's just burnt out and not coaching the same.

Also, it's funny to me that his first year he did seem like an ingame coach. Playcalling seemed great. But once he got his system in and his type QB, it got very predictable quickly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    That's pretty sorry on Hev's part. Mullen's stuck by him for over a decade despite the presence of a consistently large group of relevant individuals unsatisfied with his job performance. He's lived in this world long enough that he should know how the game is played, and he's lucky Mullen isn't most other coaches who would have scapegoated him ten years ago.
    ^^^THIS^^^ Nobody else would have put up with Hevesy's recruiting and just let him coach for this long. Not many places going to let him skimp on recruiting and let him treat his players like shit. Can't argue with the development of the players that respond to it, but a lot of players just won't respond to it. And now that there is a transfer portal without penalty, I suspect Hevesy's approach is going to be completely unsustainable.