Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Leach to Hold Kicker Tryouts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MBDawg601 View Post
    Kickers have the most chill practice schedules and routines. It is basically set your own agenda at most schools. I'm sure they have some routine, but it's nothing like any other position. I promise you.
    To me kicking is either you can do it or you can't when the lights come on. Really hard to evaluate that with incoming kickers honestly. We have no idea until we put them out there under live fire.

I remember Brian Hazlewood being basically an All-American kicker in high school. He had some struggles for us even though he also made some big field goals too. Scott Westerfield was a walk-on who didn't nearly have the leg that Hazlewood had but he was far more accurate and a better overall kicker IMO.

Stephen Gostkowski got benched in high school for being inconsistent and then went on to become one of the best all time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    Or maybe we lost because I didn't go to the game today***
    Was more likely my Masshole student visiting her knuckle dragging Arky cousin***

vCash
    Anyone who watched the game had a clear understanding how our kicker situation played out

The players need to be held accountable and I admire the fact that Leach didn't hold back for the sake of "embarrassment". He answered the question about our poor kicking performance with an open try out. If they want to save face, make the kick. If you can't make the kick, put in the work. Simple.

What is your understanding of why Ruiz didn't take the last kick? explain.

Put in the work? Do you know some thing first hand about practice performance?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post

Leach had a reason for not sending him back out there. Ruiz was not even close on his prior 2 attempts. May as well try something else. Was a prayer either way.

Practicing performance? Everyone needs to put in work to stay competitive. Not sure what you are getting at.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post

It was stupid only because McCord is terrible. Ruiz just isn't the same since his health issues, but he's still the best option we've got. McCord couldn't kick for our local HS team. We need to find some kicking options and hire a real special teams coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    THIS IS WHY I AM GLAD MIKE LEACH IS OUR COACH!! Just one of many reasons. But that?s what I love. Do whatever it takes
    Personally I don't like Leach's throw all our kickers under the bus after the game gig.

Someone explain this to me.

Did it really take Leach 2.5 decades to figure out he needs a kicker?

He can recruit a kicker every year. We already have tryouts every year. There is not a line of NFL kickers waiting to come to MSU so Leach can throw them under the bus when they miss a FG.

Those are Leach's kickers. He's had two years to get a kicker. Time for Leach to be a man and own it.

For some who railed on Mullen and recruiting, why does Leach get a pass?

Don't like the HC throwing his players under a bus after game. Do that in the locker room.

vCash
    Your previous post, seemingly, implies that someone isn't putting in the work. But you don't have any inside information evidently.

Leachs post press conference comments, the opener and last comment, lead me to wonder if there was more to why Ruiz didn't go out for the last kick. Again your post implies that you had a deeper understanding that just "he missed two".

Well I really hope there was more to the decision than just a hot headed... "Aw screw it put the other guy in for the game tie." Was Ruiz pouting earlier? Did Ruiz pull himself for injury? Has Ruiz missed a lot of practice? If the answer to any of those 3 Questions are yes, I get Leachs frustration.

However pulling a guy just because he missed the first two...... nobody gets out of a slump on the bench. Also the chip shot miss was bad. But Bama missed a Xp last night. It happens. The 2nd attempt was a long FG that he barely missed.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 11-07-2021 at 08:58 AM.

vCash
    I hate to say it, but you're wrong. Leach did not embarrass them. Anyone who watched the game had a clear understanding how our kicker situation played out and was the primary reason the question was brought up in the first place.

The players need to be held accountable and I admire the fact that Leach didn't hold back for the sake of "embarrassment". He answered the question about our poor kicking performance with an open try out. If they want to save face, make the kick. If you can't make the kick, put in the work. Simple.
    How about the HC owning the kicking performance that he was part of - putting a not ready freshman kicker who had little chance to make at end. Ruiz can make that FG, the freshman can't.

How about Leach saying we got to do better in coaching the kicking game or something. These kickers didn't miss on purpose. If HC is willing to play them, ready or not, they give the college try. Not having a good kicker is HC responsibility.

If Leach is responsible for nothing then fire him and don't have a HC and save 5 mil a year. Better than that spend the 5 mil a year on NIL to players if it is all on players and we'll have a better team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Personally I don't like Leach's throw all our kickers under the bus after the game gig.

Someone explain this to me.

Did it really take Leach 2.5 decades to figure out he needs a kicker?

He can recruit a kicker every year. We already have tryouts every year. There is not a line of NFL kickers waiting to come to MSU so Leach can throw them under the bus when they miss a FG.

Those are Leach's kickers. He's had two years to get a kicker. Time for Leach to be a man and own it.

For some who railed on Mullen and recruiting, why does Leach get a pass?

Don't like the HC throwing his players under a bus after game. Do that in the locker room.
    You realize we were recruiting kickers until Ruiz decided to come back right? Then Ruiz had some health issues and struggled. That's not on a Leach. Ruiz is back healthy but he's got the damn kicking yips now.
    Leach's mistake is having Brock as the ST coach.

vCash
    The defense played well for most of the game. Seemed a bit gassed at the end.

Again, Leach didn't blame the loss on the kickers. He simply said open try outs. Did you guys watch the presser?
    Open tryouts every year, saying open tryouts is saying we don't have a kicker so any you frat boys that can kick come on out.

Why didn't he say we got open tryouts for any other position? We had bad plays at every position.

I can stand up there and demand the best players come play for me so I don't have to do anything. It don't take much ability or leadership to do that.

Now coaching up and leading not the best players, that takes effort and ability by the leader. Leach ain't showing much. He is a pithy interview after the game and that is about it.

vCash
    Not a good idea to call out your players in public. I don't care if he did it before or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Yup. All they have to do is kick.
    Yep - they just need to do their job. If we cannot kick a 23 yard field goal, then we need to do something. And 17' the media. Also, if Ruiz and McCord want to walk off the team after what Leach said - then they need to be gone. What they should be doing is practicing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAWG1903 View Post
    Yep - they just need to do their job. If we cannot kick a 23 yard field goal, then we need to do something. And 17' the media. Also, if Ruiz and McCord want to walk off the team after what Leach said - then they need to be gone. What they should be doing is practicing.
    You say that, but we'd be up sheet creep if they did quit.

I do find it funny that the ones that can't stand any criticism of a 5-million dollar coach have no problem trashing kickers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

I do find it funny that the ones that can't stand any criticism of a 5-million dollar coach have no problem trashing kickers
    If HC ain't never responsible for nothing then spend the 5 mil on NIL and buy better players, only have position coaches.

There problem solved.

What are we getting for 5mil?

vCash
    If HC ain't never responsible for nothing then spend the 5 mil on NIL and buy better players, only have position coaches.

There problem solved.

What are we getting for 5mil?
    A guy that?s divisive amongst the fan base of every team he?s ever coached. I hate to say it, but it?d be better for him to stick to raccoons and mythology because anytime he talks football, it?s always someone else unable to perform up to par in his perfect game plan.

vCash
    Open tryouts every year, saying open tryouts is saying we don't have a kicker so any you frat boys that can kick come on out.

Why didn't he say we got open tryouts for any other position? We had bad plays at every position.

I can stand up there and demand the best players come play for me so I don't have to do anything. It don't take much ability or leadership to do that.

Now coaching up and leading not the best players, that takes effort and ability by the leader. Leach ain't showing much. He is a pithy interview after the game and that is about it.
    I'm not going to get into a pissing match over a kicker. Make field goals. It's your job, if you can't do it when it matters, we will find someone who can. If that means open tryouts then by all means.

Getting mad over a coaches comments about a piss poor performance is pretty soft. He kept it rated G for the media. I am sure his locker room talk with the kickers and ST coach was not as nice. You are okay with that though, as long as we smile and comfort them on national TV... very political standpoint.

vCash

I do not care if you criticize Leach! Every player has a job....do your job! The kickers did not yesterday.

vCash
    it should NEVER and i mean NEVER come down to kicking tryouts in college. the special team coach needs to get off his ASS and recruit one. Leach needs to fire him now!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    it should NEVER and i mean NEVER come down to kicking tryouts in college. the special team coach needs to get off his ASS and recruit one. Leach needs to fire him now!
    I don't follow the press conferences... has leach been critical of our ST coach since we've had a lot of ST blunders?

vCash

Now really. We would just go for it on 4th instead of missing chip shots. We would be in about the same position. Maybe better off.