Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are we Recruiting Arch Manning?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I don't get the Mullen hate and never will. It makes our fan base look petty, and really stupid.

I agree. Mullen elevated the program as much as he could.

Jackie went 7-4 in 91. Which felt like 11-0 at the time. He beat Texas but lost to Memphis at home. He beat OM finally and lost to Air Force. Jackie couldn't win a bowl. Dan won bowls but no top 25 wins. Dan had the misfortune of the 2014 schedule including trips to Bama and OM. Also OM as a top 10 team. Leach will get to 7 wins with a loss to Memphis. yada yada yada..... Mississippi State's football program hasn't attracted the top to bottom talent to sustain back to back wins in a 12 game sec schedule. Jackie and Dan were really good coaches and did all they could do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post

Jackie went 7-4 in 91. Which felt like 11-0 at the time. He beat Texas but lost to Memphis at home. He beat OM finally and lost to Air Force. Jackie couldn't win a bowl. Dan won bowls but no top 25 wins. Dan had the misfortune of the 2014 schedule including trips to Bama and OM. Also OM as a top 10 team. Leach will get to 7 wins with a loss to Memphis. yada yada yada..... Mississippi State's football program hasn't attracted the top to bottom talent to sustain back to back wins in a 12 game sec schedule. Jackie and Dan were really good coaches and did all they could do.
    I disagree, I wasn't old enough to really know about Jackie I started paying attention to him late 90s watching games with my Dad. But, Mullen if he didn't shop around and if he put 2 seconds worth of time into recruiting we would have been a sustained 8 win team and he would have sprinkled 10 win teams in there. We wouldn't have had the 5 win and 6 win seasons that we had under him.

He is what he is, not focused and just getting by with what he has.

To me he is that really nice player that looks the part, sounds the part. But, always shows up late to practice with the best excuse, and just goes through the drills just thinking his skill alone is going to get him on the field. Trash him, trash his pride, and trash his country club.

vCash

Jackie wasn't allowed to do all he could do. OM and the NCAA made sure of that. The minute he started winning we started getting investigated. Seriously - April 1992 the NCAA started getting "tips" and we got probation in '96
    Dan didn't do all he could to build a program, he did all he could to build his exit - and there is a difference.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    If I were Leach, I would call him personally and tell him he will throw 65 times a game and if he is a true baller, there is no way he doesn?t win the heisman. And we have a defense to back him.

We will get top knotch WRs. We have damn good ones right now. Imagine if we got three 5* kids.

Call him everyday. Tell him to come make history.

If he doesn?t respond to that, 17 em.

If he comes and doesn?t pan out, we?ll just make him ride the pine.
    We should be recruiting him just to screw with OM. Don't have to exert a lot of time or money but at least a card/letter/phone call to say "think about how good you would look in Mike Leach's offense."

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstatelp1 View Post
    We should be recruiting him just to screw with OM. Don't have to exert a lot of time or money but at least a card/letter/phone call to say "think about how good you would look in Mike Leach's offense."
    It wouldn't screw with OM Bc the card/letter wouldn't see the light of day.

vCash
    Yes, we are recruiting Arch, this came from someone who isn’t allowed to comment about recruitment until after they sign. We are doing everything we can but the staff realizes that it’s an uphill battle to get a Manning to play at State. It was clear that at this time, the prize is Texas’s to lose with Georgia making a strong push.

vCash
    Uhhh. Jackie threw his hat in for the Tampa Bay Bucs job after 92. Jackie wanted the Bama job in the late 90s and again in 2000.
    And now his OC has the team 1 in the NFL/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Jackie wasn't allowed to do all he could do. OM and the NCAA made sure of that. The minute he started winning we started getting investigated. Seriously - April 1992 the NCAA started getting "tips" and we got probation in '96
    Dan didn't do all he could to build a program, he did all he could to build his exit - and there is a difference.
    This exactly.

He came to Mississippi State looking to get to Florida, Alabama Georgia ect I hate him for not having confidence in himself that he could with effort, strain ect build a championship program at Mississippi State. Which would be a better legacy to do that or to jump to the easy path.

That is why I hate him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    And now his OC has the team 1 in the NFL/
    I wonder who his favorite team is, today?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Percho View Post
    This exactly.

He came to Mississippi State looking to get to Florida, Alabama Georgia ect I hate him for not having confidence in himself that he could with effort, strain ect build a championship program at Mississippi State. Which would be a better legacy to do that or to jump to the easy path.

That is why I hate him.
    I don't hate Dan - I respect the fact that he got us our of the cellar and made our program respectable in the national media. He improved MSU football during his time here and that's all you can ask of a coach.

Having said that, I think he's a damn idiot for taking the Florida job, and I'm pretty sure I gave him 5 years MAX as the head coach before their entitled, whiny-assed fan base ran him off. So far, that's going to schedule.

I must also admit to a bit of satisfaction that after all the years of him looking around for a 'better' job, he finally found one and it isn't going the way he expected. Sorry Dan, sometimes you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. Hopefully he gets some perspective but based on what I've heard I doubt he ever will.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Dan built himself first and the program second. Had he been all in on coaching and recruiting for five years 2014 would have been an undefeated season w/ a NC game. At that point he's built a hell of a football program, his legacy at MSU is forever cemented and he could have just about any head coaching job in the country blue blood college or NFL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I supported the best coach that wanted to be here. Jackie Sherrill.
    It's not like Jackie didn't try to get other jobs, especially Bama, he went after that hard

vCash
    We have never had a legitimate chance to win it all. Dan was never going to win one here. Kiffin will never win on at OM. The first glimmer of hope was the parity promise that came with the transfer portal. Little did we know that it was a staged event, a device that ultimately helps the blue bloods cherry pick from existing rosters by way of the NIL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbite View Post
    Yes, we are recruiting Arch, this came from someone who isn’t allowed to comment about recruitment until after they sign. We are doing everything we can but the staff realizes that it’s an uphill battle to get a Manning to play at State. It was clear that at this time, the prize is Texas’s to lose with Georgia making a strong push.
    Whatever. Don't believe it. and if we are, or staff is stupid. Part of being good at recruiting is knowing who you have a shot at and who you don't. And not wasting valuable time on people you ZERO shot at. See, arch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    It's not like Jackie didn't try to get other jobs, especially Bama, he went after that hard
    He campaigned like hell for it.... fact. And I didn't blame him!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Whatever. Don't believe it. and if we are, or staff is stupid. Part of being good at recruiting is knowing who you have a shot at and who you don't. And not wasting valuable time on people you ZERO shot at. See, arch.
    From watching local football in S. La, I've seen several QB's that are better than Arch. They're committed to LSU, Purdue and TAMU, he's really nothing spectacular from what I've seen from him. He'd be 3 star with a different last name.

vCash
    There is also a QB at Gautier HS who is lighting it up/ I hope we are at least giving him a look

vCash
    What type offense does his highschool run?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I did too, even when we ran him off. I don't get the Mullen hate and never will. It makes our fan base look petty, and really stupid.
    I disagree....timewise....if he could have stayed and rehabbed Fitz with that defense......A one loss DOG team could have landed him anywhere.......and that was a REAL probability....

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    There is also a QB at Gautier HS who is lighting it up/ I hope we are at least giving him a look
    He would've been good in a Mullen/Moorhead offense. Doesn't really fit Leach.