Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw where Megan West, WAPT TV news anchor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Well the oppression is the other direction now. If Jackson was a football team and needed a quarterback and had their choice of Tom Brady, Josh Allen, Trevor Lawrence, or a black guy that had never played the position, they would choose the black guy because of his skin color. They don’t care about qualifications. Then when their football team lost, they would blame it on the white folks. They do it every day. Look at the water system, schools, crime. Hire incompetence over best qualified, then blame the white folks.

^^^This all day!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by grandprairiedog View Post
    Maybe we should ask the 5 why's this is the case. My bet is it will have something to do from say four - five hundred years ago related to political, economic and social behavior of an attempt to oppress, and now this is the result. Guess you think you had something to do with when, who and where you were born, but news flash, you don't.

Doesn't excuse bad behavior, but sure is interested that "educated" people has the aforementioned general opinion, and education is one important thing many tried to deny.

-
    Get over yourself, I grew up poor and I received an education (all from public institutions) - thanks to my parents pushing me. Being poor is NOT an excuse. It is the disintegration of the family that is the problem and a lack of Godly principles being taught to our children. Just imagine if we all adhered to the 10 commandments! WOW, what a concept!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    Get over yourself, I grew up poor and I received an education (all from public institutions) - thanks to my parents pushing me. Being poor is NOT an excuse. It is the disintegration of the family that is the problem and a lack of Godly principles being taught to our children. Just imagine if we all adhered to the 10 commandments! WOW, what a concept!
    Exactly!!!!!!!! Actually, someone being extremely poor has more opportunity than lower middle class PELL grants etc

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    Nothing will be solved until the family unit is put back together
    Nothing will be solved until we pay workers a living salary and treat them as another human being.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SailingDawg View Post
    Nothing will be solved until we pay workers a living salary and treat them as another human being.
    A "lot" of the low paying jobs were "originally" meant for temporary workers like those going to school - high school or college or other transient workers. They were never meant for permanent employees - retail sales with low margins can not pay a "living wage" to a permanent worker as the price of their product will skyrocket. They will not be competitive in the world and they will go out of business which means these low paying jobs will not exist. Which is worst, a low paying job or no job?

The problem is a "lot" of the permanent employees in low paying jobs have either not recognized nor desired a college education (put trade school in here also) as a means to earn a living wage. In a world that is technically becoming more complex, and has been for a generation or more now, it is imperative to have the required skills for making a decent living. A high school education will most always not be enough! The world is constantly changing and these people are not.

Don't put their education (low skill) shortcomings on on the rest of us!

vCash
    Nope, workers (professions) that are needed or necessary will do that. When a person has no needed (in demand) skills and there are 2 million people coming to get their job that will do it for 1/3 of the current hourly wage, workers will not make a good wage. If they are paid an artificial wage to satisfy them, inflation will wipe out any of the wage gain.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    Nope, workers (professions) that are needed or necessary will do that. When a person has no needed (in demand) skills and there are 2 million people coming to get their job that will do it for 1/3 of the current hourly wage, workers will not make a good wage. If they are paid an artificial wage to satisfy them, inflation will wipe out any of the wage gain.
    Naw man. You don?t get it. Supposedly someone working hard but providing no value should make the same as someone working hard providing value. How many of these morons with this mentality would be fine with the practice squad QB making the same salary as the all pro, potential hall of fame starter? They?d be up in arms if that meant having no WRs to throw to or an OL to block for the QB. I mean after all they all work hard, right?

It amazes me how people compartmentalize their principles and thoughts into specific areas. While not applying them to everything to understand how ridiculous their argument is and how bad they?ve been duped.

vCash
    This is pure unadulterated horse sh_t. My dad grew up poor. Has a HS education and a couple of years at MSU (didn't finish b/c he didn't have the money). He served in the Navy for several years. He always busted his ass. He has been a shoe salesman, traveling salesman for various things, car salesman, home satellite TV system salesman, bond salesman, and mortgage broker and those are the jobs I know about. The last 5 he all did while I was growing up in a cushy Germantown TN home. When one job went away for whatever reason, he went out and found something else. He didn't make excuses, he made or found solutions.

Sorry, I don't care what color you are, how poor or rich you are, what gender you are (or identify as) or whatever other victim card you want to claim - your neighbor/co-worker/town/state/country don't owe you anything. Opportunity abounds. Find a way to make it happen and quit your whining.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    A "lot" of the low paying jobs were "originally" meant for temporary workers like those going to school - high school or college or other transient workers. They were never meant for permanent employees - retail sales with low margins can not pay a "living wage" to a permanent worker as the price of their product will skyrocket. They will not be competitive in the world and they will go out of business which means these low paying jobs will not exist. Which is worst, a low paying job or no job?

The problem is a "lot" of the permanent employees in low paying jobs have either not recognized nor desired a college education (put trade school in here also) as a means to earn a living wage. In a world that is technically becoming more complex, and has been for a generation or more now, it is imperative to have the required skills for making a decent living. A high school education will most always not be enough! The world is constantly changing and these people are not.

Don't put their education (low skill) shortcomings on on the rest of us!
    So some of the most profitable businesses in the history of the world can't afford to pay their workers what those same type low skilled workers made in past eras, or they'd go out of business?

Or maybe those giant corporations are using their negotiating power (among other asyetrical powers they have over workers) to pay them less so as to realize more profit?

By the way, almost all workers make less than in the past, educated or not, skilled or not, etc. Hell even doctors, which are basically a cartel, make less, as they find it increasingly difficult to negotiate terms with giant corp ins providers and hospital networks.

We've allowed business interests (read: multinational corporations) to expand their profits at the expense of workers. We can debate the pros and cons of that, but it's not honest to deny it happened.

In my opinion, a chief problem for poor areas like Jackson is a lot of people looked at the newly poor outcomes from being a life long wage slave and decided to roll the dice at other options. Some gambled on crime as their ticket. Most probably never even tried. Almost all lost.