Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Saw where Megan West, WAPT TV news anchor

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    572
    vCash
    3187
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Well the oppression is the other direction now. If Jackson was a football team and needed a quarterback and had their choice of Tom Brady, Josh Allen, Trevor Lawrence, or a black guy that had never played the position, they would choose the black guy because of his skin color. They don’t care about qualifications. Then when their football team lost, they would blame it on the white folks. They do it every day. Look at the water system, schools, crime. Hire incompetence over best qualified, then blame the white folks.

    ^^^This all day!

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    572
    vCash
    3187
    Quote Originally Posted by grandprairiedog View Post
    Maybe we should ask the 5 why's this is the case. My bet is it will have something to do from say four - five hundred years ago related to political, economic and social behavior of an attempt to oppress, and now this is the result. Guess you think you had something to do with when, who and where you were born, but news flash, you don't.

    Doesn't excuse bad behavior, but sure is interested that "educated" people has the aforementioned general opinion, and education is one important thing many tried to deny.

    -
    Get over yourself, I grew up poor and I received an education (all from public institutions) - thanks to my parents pushing me. Being poor is NOT an excuse. It is the disintegration of the family that is the problem and a lack of Godly principles being taught to our children. Just imagine if we all adhered to the 10 commandments! WOW, what a concept!

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    717
    vCash
    433750
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    Get over yourself, I grew up poor and I received an education (all from public institutions) - thanks to my parents pushing me. Being poor is NOT an excuse. It is the disintegration of the family that is the problem and a lack of Godly principles being taught to our children. Just imagine if we all adhered to the 10 commandments! WOW, what a concept!
    Exactly!!!!!!!! Actually, someone being extremely poor has more opportunity than lower middle class PELL grants etc

  4. #24
    Senior Member SailingDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,627
    vCash
    3850
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    Nothing will be solved until the family unit is put back together
    Nothing will be solved until we pay workers a living salary and treat them as another human being.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    572
    vCash
    3187
    Quote Originally Posted by SailingDawg View Post
    Nothing will be solved until we pay workers a living salary and treat them as another human being.
    A "lot" of the low paying jobs were "originally" meant for temporary workers like those going to school - high school or college or other transient workers. They were never meant for permanent employees - retail sales with low margins can not pay a "living wage" to a permanent worker as the price of their product will skyrocket. They will not be competitive in the world and they will go out of business which means these low paying jobs will not exist. Which is worst, a low paying job or no job?

    The problem is a "lot" of the permanent employees in low paying jobs have either not recognized nor desired a college education (put trade school in here also) as a means to earn a living wage. In a world that is technically becoming more complex, and has been for a generation or more now, it is imperative to have the required skills for making a decent living. A high school education will most always not be enough! The world is constantly changing and these people are not.

    Don't put their education (low skill) shortcomings on on the rest of us!

  6. #26
    Senior Member IMissJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,847
    vCash
    3100
    Quote Originally Posted by SailingDawg View Post
    Nothing will be solved until we pay workers a living salary and treat them as another human being.
    Nope, workers (professions) that are needed or necessary will do that. When a person has no needed (in demand) skills and there are 2 million people coming to get their job that will do it for 1/3 of the current hourly wage, workers will not make a good wage. If they are paid an artificial wage to satisfy them, inflation will wipe out any of the wage gain.

  7. #27
    Founder of Summer's Eve
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    7,981
    vCash
    3663
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    Nope, workers (professions) that are needed or necessary will do that. When a person has no needed (in demand) skills and there are 2 million people coming to get their job that will do it for 1/3 of the current hourly wage, workers will not make a good wage. If they are paid an artificial wage to satisfy them, inflation will wipe out any of the wage gain.
    Naw man. You don?t get it. Supposedly someone working hard but providing no value should make the same as someone working hard providing value. How many of these morons with this mentality would be fine with the practice squad QB making the same salary as the all pro, potential hall of fame starter? They?d be up in arms if that meant having no WRs to throw to or an OL to block for the QB. I mean after all they all work hard, right?

    It amazes me how people compartmentalize their principles and thoughts into specific areas. While not applying them to everything to understand how ridiculous their argument is and how bad they?ve been duped.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    67
    vCash
    4000
    Quote Originally Posted by SailingDawg View Post
    Nothing will be solved until we pay workers a living salary and treat them as another human being.
    This is pure unadulterated horse sh_t. My dad grew up poor. Has a HS education and a couple of years at MSU (didn't finish b/c he didn't have the money). He served in the Navy for several years. He always busted his ass. He has been a shoe salesman, traveling salesman for various things, car salesman, home satellite TV system salesman, bond salesman, and mortgage broker and those are the jobs I know about. The last 5 he all did while I was growing up in a cushy Germantown TN home. When one job went away for whatever reason, he went out and found something else. He didn't make excuses, he made or found solutions.

    Sorry, I don't care what color you are, how poor or rich you are, what gender you are (or identify as) or whatever other victim card you want to claim - your neighbor/co-worker/town/state/country don't owe you anything. Opportunity abounds. Find a way to make it happen and quit your whining.

  9. #29
    Senior Member BoomBoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Coast
    Posts
    11,280
    vCash
    3200
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    A "lot" of the low paying jobs were "originally" meant for temporary workers like those going to school - high school or college or other transient workers. They were never meant for permanent employees - retail sales with low margins can not pay a "living wage" to a permanent worker as the price of their product will skyrocket. They will not be competitive in the world and they will go out of business which means these low paying jobs will not exist. Which is worst, a low paying job or no job?

    The problem is a "lot" of the permanent employees in low paying jobs have either not recognized nor desired a college education (put trade school in here also) as a means to earn a living wage. In a world that is technically becoming more complex, and has been for a generation or more now, it is imperative to have the required skills for making a decent living. A high school education will most always not be enough! The world is constantly changing and these people are not.

    Don't put their education (low skill) shortcomings on on the rest of us!
    So some of the most profitable businesses in the history of the world can't afford to pay their workers what those same type low skilled workers made in past eras, or they'd go out of business?

    Or maybe those giant corporations are using their negotiating power (among other asyetrical powers they have over workers) to pay them less so as to realize more profit?

    By the way, almost all workers make less than in the past, educated or not, skilled or not, etc. Hell even doctors, which are basically a cartel, make less, as they find it increasingly difficult to negotiate terms with giant corp ins providers and hospital networks.

    We've allowed business interests (read: multinational corporations) to expand their profits at the expense of workers. We can debate the pros and cons of that, but it's not honest to deny it happened.

    In my opinion, a chief problem for poor areas like Jackson is a lot of people looked at the newly poor outcomes from being a life long wage slave and decided to roll the dice at other options. Some gambled on crime as their ticket. Most probably never even tried. Almost all lost.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Disclaimer: Elitedawgs is a privately owned and operated forum that is managed by alumni of Mississippi State University. This website is in no way affiliated with the Mississippi State University, The Southeastern Conference (SEC) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author and may not reflect the views of other members of this forum or elitedawgs.com. The interactive nature of the elitedawgs.com forums makes it impossible for elitedawgs.com to assume responsibility for any of the content posted at this site. Ideas, thoughts, suggestion, comments, opinions, advice and observations made by participants at elitedawgs.com are not endorsed by elitedawgs.com
Elitedawgs: A Mississippi State Fan Forum, Mississippi State Football, Mississippi State Basketball, Mississippi State Baseball, Mississippi State Athletics. Mississippi State message board.