Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunday Morning QB- I like Spree Too Edition

vCash

Sunday Morning QB- I like Spree Too Edition

1. Enjoyed the evening with some boiled shrimp, onions, corn, and potatoes. Hit the spot.

2. We came right out and did what we are supposed to against a garbage team. Great bounce back after a bad loss. Enjoy watching Polk- i think he bolts after this season. No inside info- just think he'll declare and get paid next year

3. Rogers started off with 13 or 14 straight completions. Got things rolling early and let Vandy know they were overmatched.

4. Vandy almost was able to change the momentum of the game with what looked like another pick. Replay went our way and overturned the call. Vandy picked off two passes and almost had a 3rd. As shitty as they are- they deserve a little credit for confusing our QB at times

5. The right side of our OL is absolutely clueless at times during pass pro. Just a plain zone blitz allowed Vandy a LB coming untouched for a sack. Not sure if Johnson was supposed to pass off the slanting DL guy and pick him up or if Lashley needed to get there. Would have been a hard block for Lashley because of our splits. Vandy is terrible but they are coached decently. They had 3 sacks and 2 picks. Just unable to do much athletically.

6. Ran the speed option. Watch out!!! Love seeing a new addition to the run game.

7. Vandy's O is awful and we made them look even worse. Complete domination.

8. Kentucky had the week off to get ready for the Airbone. Huge game for both teams Saturday. We need another win to qualify for a bowl. Kentucky is looking at going 11-1 and a Sugar Bowl. Kentucky has us, home vs Tenn, and at Louisville to get to 11-1. That's very doable for them. They play physical football and get big plays in the passing game. We play physical on D and give up big plays in the passing game. Big game Saturday.

9. UPig now has the week off to get ready for the Airbone the following week. Kentucky and UPig both have good DC's so it will be interesting to see what the Airbone does these next 2 games against quality DC's with 2 weeks to prepare for it.

10. Auburn is going to beat Mississippi.

#Hail State
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Archimedes
    vCash
    It?s some rumblings that leach might be adapting a little bit. Rumor is Wally took some snaps at qb for a wildcat package over the bye week. Would be a damn good time to roll that out next week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    It?s some rumblings that leach might be adapting a little bit. Rumor is Wally took some snaps at qb for a wildcat package over the bye week. Would be a damn good time to roll that out next week.
    That’s cool. I’d almost rather had tulu take those snaps with his Burst of speed.

vCash
    There wont be a wildcat package.

vCash
    Thanks to a stupid ass holding penalty that speed option play was bitter sweet. It looks like we used Vandy to work on some things. Seeing Lovertich was nice too.

Banned
    vCash
    4. Vandy has had multiple picks a few games in a row. Lea has them bought in currently. Vandy is a better team than last year. But so are we. To me this was a huge litmus test after last year's embarrassing 24-17 win over them. Explicit improvement shown and not just changing from Costello to Will. Will improved. That was the first team we played this year that Will started against last year. 0 denying there is a huge improvement this year. The biggest check-in that matters left is the Egg Bowl. Can our improvement outpace Colonel BearShark?

6. We've run that already this year. Not a new play. Study up on your film.

7. Our defense needed a get right game in the worst way. And I still wouldn't say we got right. But this feels a lot like Geoff Collins defense from 2014. Prone to big plays randomly given up. Vandy didn't have the talent to make us pay when their receivers got opened. I think it's simply a lack of safety talent at this point (same as 2014). 2018 is the only time I can remember us having decent safeties and a DC that wasn't prone to the big play anyways. Really wish we would have struck while the iron was hot that year. Fortunately I don't think Arnett wants a G5 HC job and he's not done enough to convince a solid P5 job to hire him as their HC yet. If we keep him another year then I've got to ultimately wonder if he's just waiting on Leach's retirement for our job and just loves Starkville that much.

8. Tennessee will get a signature win on their season against UK. Our game will be interesting. I think first to 20 wins.

9. Hard to call someone a quality DC when they gave up 99 total in the last two meaningful games they played. And it's not like OM doesn't run a simple offense. The difference Lane runs is assuming his play call will beat your play call. So they go fast and don't read. That's why defenses that are good at disguising what they do can slow them down. We believe we can read the defense and take our time to adjust and call the play based on what the defense can do. That's why the only thing that has slowed down the Air Raid this hear is literally the best defensive mind in college football history inventing a new defensive scheme to confuse specifically us.

I'm gonna step out and expand on this. Think about a couple of things here. Nick ****ing Saban created a new defense specifically to stop Mississippi State. This is after shutting us out last year. Do you think he doesn't see the potential we have? How does that not excite you as a State fan? Mike Leach has been running this offense for over 20 years and Nick Saban still believes he has to debut a new defense to stop it? And he'll have to keep creating more because now that's another defense on film and this offense will practice and learn to execute to beat it. That's what the Air Raid does to defenses. That's the point right there. That sentence should have been all the wool anyone needs. Nick Saban didn't have to adjust to shit when Dan Mullen was here. Nick Saban complained to get rules in place to stop Gus Malzahn. We're in year 1.5 and Nick Saban is openly admitting needing to adjust to us. Wool.

As for my definition of slowing down the Air Raid. If we're going to compare the Air Raid to the Triple option, then let's be fair here. A good ball control offense should only need 24 points to win a game with the defenses MSU historically puts out.

Throw out the La Tech game because we quit for two quarters.
    NC State we did exactly what was needed 24-10 with a giftwrapped 3/7 NC State took from themselves with the Mullen Jump.
    Memphis we fumbled for 7 and then whatever your opinion the punt return happened. That's 24-17 if you take away our last speed touchdown but we don't go for two. So it worked as it should there.
    LSU we had the leaping penalty and targeting on ourselves to give up an extra 7. That's 24-21 (given we don't go for two).
    A&M we did what we were supposed to and a safety got us off schedule from the 24-22 win to take it 26-22.
    Bama we got worked and Air Raid was beaten.
    Vandy, we did what we were supposed to against a bad team like we should have seen against La Tech (and should against our FCS school)

So 24 points to me is the Air Raid being successful. That + clean football will win us most every game.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    We need Aub to beat the sharks. I don?t want them getting into playoffs through backdoor

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    We need Aub to beat the sharks. I don?t want them getting into playoffs through backdoor
    Team with the most to lose in the Egg Bowl usually does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    aTm is running the table. If bama loses to auburn, aTm will be in Atlanta

vCash
    "9. Hard to call someone a quality DC when they gave up 99 total in the last two meaningful games they played."

Saban gave up 86 points to LSU and Auburn in 2019. Sometimes offenses are just good. Sometimes offenses match-up with you better than others. And sometime you just dont have the talent you need. Stoops is a good defensive coach and has been for awhile. Kentucky is 3rd in Scoring and Total D in the SEC. They have already played Georgia and Fla too yet still ranked that high. They were supposed to be good on D this year and lived up to expectations.

UPig doesnt have a ton of talent on D but are still a respectable 7th and 6th in Scoring and Total D. They are coached well. 2 weeks to get ready. We'll see what we are able to get done in R-Kansas in November.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Arkansas also sits back on defense and basically plays drop 8 every single week anyway. We are going to have issues when we do not have a QB that runs it 20% of the time to make them commit to the box. That is how Ole Miss keeps everyone from dropping 8 every snap. Drop 8 and they run it. Drop 6 and they torch you.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    Are you serious? I may get on board if he adds some stuff. I did like the option mix up Saturday which is new so it gave me a little hope. We have too many good athletes not to get them the ball in whatever way the advantage is. If they drop 8 or 9, run the dang ball. If they press up, air raid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    4. Vandy has had multiple picks a few games in a row. Lea has them bought in currently. Vandy is a better team than last year. But so are we. To me this was a huge litmus test after last year's embarrassing 24-17 win over them. Explicit improvement shown and not just changing from Costello to Will. Will improved. That was the first team we played this year that Will started against last year. 0 denying there is a huge improvement this year. The biggest check-in that matters left is the Egg Bowl. Can our improvement outpace Colonel BearShark?

6. We've run that already this year. Not a new play. Study up on your film.

7. Our defense needed a get right game in the worst way. And I still wouldn't say we got right. But this feels a lot like Geoff Collins defense from 2014. Prone to big plays randomly given up. Vandy didn't have the talent to make us pay when their receivers got opened. I think it's simply a lack of safety talent at this point (same as 2014). 2018 is the only time I can remember us having decent safeties and a DC that wasn't prone to the big play anyways. Really wish we would have struck while the iron was hot that year. Fortunately I don't think Arnett wants a G5 HC job and he's not done enough to convince a solid P5 job to hire him as their HC yet. If we keep him another year then I've got to ultimately wonder if he's just waiting on Leach's retirement for our job and just loves Starkville that much.

8. Tennessee will get a signature win on their season against UK. Our game will be interesting. I think first to 20 wins.

9. Hard to call someone a quality DC when they gave up 99 total in the last two meaningful games they played. And it's not like OM doesn't run a simple offense. The difference Lane runs is assuming his play call will beat your play call. So they go fast and don't read. That's why defenses that are good at disguising what they do can slow them down. We believe we can read the defense and take our time to adjust and call the play based on what the defense can do. That's why the only thing that has slowed down the Air Raid this hear is literally the best defensive mind in college football history inventing a new defensive scheme to confuse specifically us.

I'm gonna step out and expand on this. Think about a couple of things here. Nick ****ing Saban created a new defense specifically to stop Mississippi State. This is after shutting us out last year. Do you think he doesn't see the potential we have? How does that not excite you as a State fan? Mike Leach has been running this offense for over 20 years and Nick Saban still believes he has to debut a new defense to stop it? And he'll have to keep creating more because now that's another defense on film and this offense will practice and learn to execute to beat it. That's what the Air Raid does to defenses. That's the point right there. That sentence should have been all the wool anyone needs. Nick Saban didn't have to adjust to shit when Dan Mullen was here. Nick Saban complained to get rules in place to stop Gus Malzahn. We're in year 1.5 and Nick Saban is openly admitting needing to adjust to us. Wool.

As for my definition of slowing down the Air Raid. If we're going to compare the Air Raid to the Triple option, then let's be fair here. A good ball control offense should only need 24 points to win a game with the defenses MSU historically puts out.

Throw out the La Tech game because we quit for two quarters.
    NC State we did exactly what was needed 24-10 with a giftwrapped 3/7 NC State took from themselves with the Mullen Jump.
    Memphis we fumbled for 7 and then whatever your opinion the punt return happened. That's 24-17 if you take away our last speed touchdown but we don't go for two. So it worked as it should there.
    LSU we had the leaping penalty and targeting on ourselves to give up an extra 7. That's 24-21 (given we don't go for two).
    A&M we did what we were supposed to and a safety got us off schedule from the 24-22 win to take it 26-22.
    Bama we got worked and Air Raid was beaten.
    Vandy, we did what we were supposed to against a bad team like we should have seen against La Tech (and should against our FCS school)

So 24 points to me is the Air Raid being successful. That + clean football will win us most every game.
    Nick didn't have to create a new D, every team we played last year and basically this year (Vandy aside) has stopped our O. If we had been hanging 40-50 on everyone and Saban did that then yeah, I'd be excited but that hasn't happened. Saban tweaked some things because he wasn't losing 2 in a row. Good coaches adjust.

vCash
    Good write up. I also think that Kentucky will be the true test for this team and how this year will pan out. Can our playmakers beat theirs? Can our coach be a better coach than Stoops? We will see

vCash
    Saban didn?t create a new defense to stop the the AirRaid, he created a new wrinkle to take ADVANTAGE of the AirRaid. There is a huge difference.

vCash
    Bama 90
    State 9

That's the combined score of our 2 games. Oh my God, I'm so excited!!!!! Saban is scared!

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Nick didn't have to create a new D, every team we played last year and basically this year (Vandy aside) has stopped our O. If we had been hanging 40-50 on everyone and Saban did that then yeah, I'd be excited but that hasn't happened. Saban tweaked some things because he wasn't losing 2 in a row. Good coaches adjust.
    Sounds like you expect to score a TD every drive or something. The way our offense is set up and being ball control oriented, we only need 24 to win games. Clean game + 24 points would have us 6-1 with a loss to Alabama who simply out-talented our defense. The **** more do you want from an offense? Video game numbers? We play in the SEC at a talent disadvantage and are in year 1.5 of this system and if Special Teams kept it clean we'd be 6-1 with a loss to the defending national champs. Sorry it's not scoring literally every play. Do you seriously think NC State "shut us down"? We scored 35 on La Tech... is that too low of a bar for you? Jesus christ get a grip.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Bama 90
    State 9

That's the combined score of our 2 games. Oh my God, I'm so excited!!!!! Saban is scared!
    With 60k posts on one singular forum about MSU football/sports, I don't think you could get excited about anything. Otherwise you'd be enjoying the Braves in the World Series instead of being miserable over MSU football. Get a grip on reality.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    Saban didn?t create a new defense to stop the the AirRaid, he created a new wrinkle to take ADVANTAGE of the AirRaid. There is a huge difference.
    tomato, tomato. Saban is the greatest coach of all time and he's not walking 90 miles east to coach here. but he's aware and knows he's gonna have to adjust. I remember when the goal post was that we couldn't beat drop 8. 1000 mile journey starts with one step and improvement is there for us. our opponents see it. in fact the only ones who don't are the people who frequent MSU boards after a loss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Get a grip on reality.
    "How does that not excite you as a State fan?" - you

Bama 41-0 2020
    Bama 49-9 2021

Yeah, I need a grip on reality