Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumors That Lack of NIL Opportunities Is Tanking Recruiting

vCash
    Fire Cohen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I agree. I will say this though, it's hard to quantify how much of our poor recruiting is from NIL and how much is a result of a poor recruiting staff led by a head coach who has no desire to recruit.
    No doubt.

vCash
    Should work out for us....I was told Leach prefers the 2 stars since that's what he's always won with. **

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    That's the rumor.

Has anyone been asked to participate?

Do MSU businesses get asked to help?

Has our head coach gone to the podium like Oregeron & asked people to help?

This is the rumor yet no one seems to have much interest in communicating with people that can help
    What other schools are killing it with NIL deals right now?

vCash
    Someone just needs to set up a 501c foundation. (Might be another tax code) Start asking for donations. It would be a tax right off to the donor. The foundation can make who ever they want to be employees and pay them what they want out of the foundation money. I think every politician has one and the foundation get millions in contributions every year. The best part they name their wives employees and pay them millions. Or they do like the Clinton's and named thier daughter. Set one up and make football players employees.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Thinking certain people being the main product of a multi-billion dollar entity and shouldn't see any of that money except bills being forgiven on debt for a college degree which everyday becomes less powerful really shouldn't be a liberal take. Just common sense. You've boogeymanned the wrong thing here.
    Lol at that. A college degree has even more financial power now, provided you major in something that will provide an actual return on investment. I have recent family experience with that. As for college athletes, they get a free education. Provided they use that opportunity wisely it's a DAMN good deal. That is their "deal", they get a free education in exchange for playing a GAME. It absolutely pisses me off at the, " they ain't getting paid crowd". They ain't getting paid my ass. They are getting paid a full college education in return for playing a damn game, no matter the sport, that many would play for free just to get to play it at that level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Lol at that. A college degree has even more financial power now, provided you major in something that will provide an actual return on investment. I have recent family experience with that. As for college athletes, they get a free education. Provided they use that opportunity wisely it's a DAMN good deal. That is their "deal", they get a free education in exchange for playing a GAME. It absolutely pisses me off at the, " they ain't getting paid crowd". They ain't getting paid my ass. They are getting paid a full college education in return for playing a damn game, no matter the sport, that many would play for free just to get to play it at that level.
    The reality is right or wrong they can get paid now. And if I was MSU I would try to jump at the opportunity.

vCash
    I mean he ain?t wrong though, the left has been clamoring for football players to be paid like the pros for over a decade now

vCash
    Yeah, it's not surprising, but frustrating nonetheless. Meanwhile, the baseball team has a massive NIL deal.

The priorities are completely backwards. Makes no sense to me why we wouldn't choose to compete in football first. It literally funds the athletic department & is BY FAR the most followed sport on campus
    Come on mane! Being in the S E C funds the athletic department. Everything else is peanuts.

Banned
    vCash
    It's really not anymore. Tuition at State alone has gone up over 50% in the past ten years. Student Loan debt cripples everyone, even engineers and doctors. And State is on the cheap end of the spectrum. Most of these football players aren't going to have the ability to take advantage of an engineering degree "Wisely" (read: do a co-op rotation), so they're missing out on experience that helps get them actual jobs. Then the wages don't really pay enough to see dividends for selling your body for over 40 hours a week for a job as a football player.

Your problem is that you think it's a privilege to work as a football player when it's a job that generates billions. Probably think if we had fry-cook olympics, McDonald's employees should be happy to work for McDonalds waiving the debt to train them to be the best Fry-cook. Absolutely insulting line of thinking. Anyone who would "play it for free" doesn't have to worry about bills to pay. I couldn't pursue any club sports or intramurals while in college because I was on my own dime at State. Damn sure couldn't afford to play for free. If you ever were wondering what privilege and echo chamber thinking looks like, what the big liberal boogeyman could possibly be talking about, it's that right there. That's a privilege not extended to everyone.

Play for free, my ass.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    I mean he ain?t wrong though, the left has been clamoring for football players to be paid like the pros for over a decade now
    He ain't wrong about that. But to act like it's somehow a bad thing that they clamored for people to get paid for the job they are doing with fair compensation is the type of take by people who took a big fat L in the 1860s.

vCash
    fact that liberals hate sports in general, and college football specifically. The recent NIL crap and several other rulings were basically tailor made to destroy traditional interest in amateur college football. m.
    Nah, the liberals eat up the "rich men making money off free labor" narrative. So, they pass legislation to try to right a perceived wrong. However, like always, their perspective and legislation is backwards, short sighted and will ruin things for everyone in the end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgtini View Post
    Come on mane! Being in the S E C funds the athletic department. Everything else is peanuts.
    I believe Brunswick proved this, that the SEC is the main part. But hey, don’t let facts cloud the judgement. Sometimes you just have to let em talk. I really do believe the NIL deal is going to be the downfall of an already broken system. Going to eventually be like the AFL and NFL before to long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RezDog7 View Post
    What other schools are killing it with NIL deals right now?
    Mizzou landed a 5 star yesterday due to NIL & Kentucky is doing some good things are well.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I said when all this came out that, like everything else in CFB, Mississippi State would be the last to adapt and take advantage of this. But I was told that MSU was "ready" for it and had people in place to get us rolling. Even Steve said it.

As we can see, that was a lie.

vCash
    Leach hasn't recruited well anywhere. Maybe that's the connection

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Mizzou landed a 5 star yesterday due to NIL & Kentucky is doing some good things are well.
    The Missouri kid is from St. Louis who they convinced to stay home & be a face of the franchise. It wasn't as simple as due to NIL. We're selling Trevion Williams & Jaheim Oatis on doing the same & staying Instate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    It's really not anymore. Tuition at State alone has gone up over 50% in the past ten years. Student Loan debt cripples everyone, even engineers and doctors. And State is on the cheap end of the spectrum. Most of these football players aren't going to have the ability to take advantage of an engineering degree "Wisely" (read: do a co-op rotation), so they're missing out on experience that helps get them actual jobs. Then the wages don't really pay enough to see dividends for selling your body for over 40 hours a week for a job as a football player.

Your problem is that you think it's a privilege to work as a football player when it's a job that generates billions. Probably think if we had fry-cook olympics, McDonald's employees should be happy to work for McDonalds waiving the debt to train them to be the best Fry-cook. Absolutely insulting line of thinking. Anyone who would "play it for free" doesn't have to worry about bills to pay. I couldn't pursue any club sports or intramurals while in college because I was on my own dime at State. Damn sure couldn't afford to play for free. If you ever were wondering what privilege and echo chamber thinking looks like, what the big liberal boogeyman could possibly be talking about, it's that right there. That's a privilege not extended to everyone.

Play for free, my ass.
    So..... you admit going to MSU is expensive and college debt cripples. However you still believe the players play for "free"?

Anyways.... I guess the fry cook at McDonald's should make 6 figures because the franchise owner does. **

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I said when all this came out that, like everything else in CFB, Mississippi State would be the last to adapt and take advantage of this. But I was told that MSU was "ready" for it and had people in place to get us rolling. Even Steve said it.

As we can see, that was a lie.
    It can be true that the school is ready on their end. The school acts as a clearing house to make sure that the NIL deals that students are presented with meet state and and NCAA requirements.
    The school can also not be "involved" in organizing NIL deals.

So, as usual, this falls on the organizational ability of the program to communicate with the cigar boys on how to play the game. And as we all know, that has never been a strength.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    The best hope for all this, is that businesses realize that player nil deals have little to no ROI. Rattler at Oklahoma and King at Miami for example. Also John Rice Plumlee has like 3 different deals. What's the point?

Maybe people just like to throw money at athletes because it makes them feel involved. However at some point people will realize they aren't selling one more widget regardless where Johnny football plays or much he plays.