Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leach vs. Jomo

vCash

Leach vs. Jomo

Who has been better? I absolutely despised teams under Joe, but at this point I'm starting to wonder if we have really made any improvement in coaching. Curious y'all's thoughts. I'm wondering if we would have been better off letting him cut his teeth and grow as a coach here.

vCash
    JOMO was a dear in headlights who had no idea of what he was instore for. I don't think he would've grown unless he did what O did and hire 2 coords who would tell him to get out of our way and we will make you look good.

vCash
    I think the biggest thing is the discipline, or lack thereof, with JoMo and his teams. Leach has a much better handle on it and doesn't cater to them. It's his way or gtfo and that was needed. As far as on field results, well so far JoMo has the better results. The defenses of his two teams were stacked with quality players.
    Last edited by Saltydog; 10-18-2021 at 11:52 AM.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    I am not impressed with Leach and his system at all so far. Alot of people are enamored because he is a fairly big name, but he hasn't improved this team from where we were with Moorhead. It's a out a 50/50 split for me and I may give a slight edge to Joe. All I can go on is results and Leach just hasn't impressed me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    I'm wondering if we would have been better off letting him cut his teeth and grow as a coach here.
    I've wondered that myself. But maybe Leach will get the last laugh and do good things over the next couple of years. Not holding by breath tho.

vCash
    How's the leach experiment going? We have guys actually missing Moorhead (haha). They both suck imo

vCash
    Disregarding that JoMo inherited a much better roster and didn't have Covid spring & season....

After year 2, game six, State was 3-3 just like they are now. Wins over ULaLa, USM, and a decent UK team. Losses to a decent K State team, a good Auburn team and a horrible Tennessee team.

This year: Blow out loss to Bama, loss to decent Memphis and LSU, wins over mediocre LA Tech, good NC State and Texas A&M.

Next 2 games for JoMo were blowout losses to LSU & aTm. He did beat Arkansas and Ole Miss in the second half.

At this point in 2019, fans were almost universally pissed at JoMo for the performance at Tennessee. Vitriol on Leach for losing to Bama not quite so much.

vCash
    Lots of folks do tend to expect quick results. What Leach inherited wasn't top notch talent and/or experience. I'm in the camp of a least next year or maybe even one more to get it going pretty decent.

JoMo took top notch talent/experienced/developed players and drove that right into the ground. With #1 D in country went 8-5. JoMo inherited an almost completely intact team that went 9-4 the year before with losses to SECW, SEC, and Natty champs (and to OM but only cause they broke Fitz's ankle). Leach is working with a good many of JoMo's recruits too. So not the same scenarios.

I will add tho that if Leach remains stubborn and leaves a OT out on an island by himself trying to block a stud SEC DE, he won't make it in this league ... period. That's same thing JoMo did at Ky the 1st year with Eiland trying to block Allen. Recruiting also needs to be stepped up to a higher level.

vCash
    Leach is the smartest guy in College Sports. Doesn't watch film. Doesn't recruit. Hired a guy (dave emerick) to do all of things most coaches do themselves. Runs the same plays he's been running for 25 years with no adjustments. Does what ever the F he wants. And makes 5 million a year doing it.

vCash
    My thoughts on this........Joe may have been a softie. His style may not be that of a head coach. However, somewhere along the way it is up to the individual to conduct themselves properly. Such as cheating in class. Or studying for yourself. How serious they take the sport. How hard they practice and if they practice. How hard they push themselves to improve their skill and as people.

Joe had a wealth of leadership in 2018 and was void of leadership in 2019. Maybe Joe gets better as a few bad apples leave....maybe he doesn't. It is over now.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 10-18-2021 at 05:10 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    My thoughts on this........Joe may have been a softie. His style may not be that of a head coach. However, somewhere along the way it is up to the individual to conduct themselves properly. Such as cheating in class. Or studying for yourself. How serious they take the sport. How hard they practice and if they practice. How hard they push themselves to improve their skill and as people.

Joe had a wealth of leadership in 2018 and was void of leadership in 2019. Maybe Joe gets better as a few bad apples leave....maybe he doesn't. It is over now.

I have zero coaching experience, and I believe I could have coached the 2018 team to 8 wins....That was an awful waste of talent. Go back and watch the 2019 Texas AM as the Music City Bowl. We gave 50% effort and was never in the Texas AM game, they were not that great of a team. I sat behind the bench during the Music City Bowl, it was easy to tell that the players did not want to be there or care to give an effort. Joe needed to go, at least with Leach you know that he will not tolerate lack of effort...I think we are a better than average Qb away from being pretty good.

vCash
    I was in Nashville for that games as well and I agree. I stood by the tunnel as they came out for kickoff. There was very little talking. Very little enthusiasm. I got the same vibe as you. If the rumors are true, they were hungover. And that explains things.

vCash
    JoVester got run because of the off the field problems- just like Stands. Toxic off the field problems weigh down your program and destroy it. Leach has control of the program- and that is a good thing. Just needs to fix what happens on the field.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    JoVester got run because of the off the field problems- just like Stands. Toxic off the field problems weigh down your program and destroy it. Leach has control of the program- and that is a good thing. Just needs to fix what happens on the field.
    Nailed it.

vCash
    If not for having an elite defense there is no way we look near as good jomos 1st season. I?m old school and love smash mouth football but oh well times have changed

vCash
    Which also points to why JoMo was successful at Fordham. He needs self-motivated players. Or to learn to motivate less self-motivating players. Maybe he was spoiled at Fordham (and Penn State).

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Mike Leach is a much better coach than Joe Moorhead. Moorhead inherited a team that had the pieces to be the best defense in college football and lost 5 games with them and then after those players left he lost all accountability to the point of players skipping practice and players knocking out the quarterback in practice and now we have to hire someone to clean that shit up which in turn made us lose some quality talent on the field due to the lack of accountability they were allowed to have with the previous coaching staff. He’s probably gonna go 6-6 or 7-5 in year 2 with a quarterback who quite frankly is flat average and doesn’t have a lot of arm strength or mobility. Two weeks ago everyone was fine and then we lose to Alabama of all people and our pets heads are falling off…..I have never seen such.

vCash
    Agree

vCash
    I at least know what Leach's plan is, it's just a matter of if it will work or not. I had no freaking clue what Moorhead was trying to do most of the time. 8-5 with the 2018 defense was inexcusable, and it was all unraveling by the end of 2019. Had we kept Moorhead for the 2020 COVID year I legitimately think we might have gone 1-9 or 0-10 against an All-SEC schedule.

vCash
    I was in Nashville for that games as well and I agree. I stood by the tunnel as they came out for kickoff. There was very little talking. Very little enthusiasm. I got the same vibe as you. If the rumors are true, they were hungover. And that explains things.
    Research the players activity before the Liberty Bowl where we lost to Air Force. My Brother saw some players out on Beale street at 2am the morning of the game. But JWS treated Bowl games as a reward and let the players go out. When Pitt played UGA in the Sugar Bowl they stayed in Biloxi and a few of them almost got the crap beat out of them on the strip.