Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uhh, so what about this Bryce Chance kid?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    We really only have a couple of spots open. I expect them to be filled with some combination of Hunter Hines, Bryce Chance, and Slate Alford. RJ Yeager has to find a spot too. I'm wondering if he is a possibility for the outfield as well. Second base and shortstop are also possible.

The rotation is going to be interesting as well. Walling has been wild. Cade Smith has looked good. That third spot is up between Jack Walker, Fristoe, and Walling. And I think Walker may end up with it.
    Yeager is starting at 2B. he's not moving to the outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    One thing is for sure- we feel really good about the offense in 2022. The pitching should be top notch also. Got to plug in defensively.
    If we go Logan Tanner at C. Forsythe at SS, Yeager at 2B. And Jess Davis in CF. That's the best up the middle Defense in the country. We are giving up some hitting though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Yeager is starting at 2B. he's not moving to the outfield.
    We'll see. He has mostly been playing SS for now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    We'll see. He has mostly been playing SS for now.
    That is interesting. I would expect them to give him the opportunity to win the SS job and probably promised him the chance. If Yeager ends up at SS, who wins the 2B job?

vCash
    At this point of fall ball you are basically fielding 2 teams. Secondary positions are not in the cards yet. Starting in late November is when you start seeing position changes. Usually the first couple of months is primary positions unless you just have a glaring hole defensively and an all ready set starter at a position., to use his backup at the position of need.

I personally don?t see Forsythe moving off of SS. Yeager will more than Likely make the move to 2nd next month.

James would be a great fit for center but right now don?t have a reliable bat to put in at 3rd with him going to CF. By moving him to CF without having a good upgrade backup then you are just swapping holes.

vCash
    Luckily we have the best in the business that will figure it out. Lemonis will make it work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    That is interesting. I would expect them to give him the opportunity to win the SS job and probably promised him the chance. If Yeager ends up at SS, who wins the 2B job?
    Probably Davis Meche. Forsythe will likely win the job at SS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSteel16 View Post
    At this point of fall ball you are basically fielding 2 teams. Secondary positions are not in the cards yet. Starting in late November is when you start seeing position changes. Usually the first couple of months is primary positions unless you just have a glaring hole defensively and an all ready set starter at a position., to use his backup at the position of need.

I personally don?t see Forsythe moving off of SS. Yeager will more than Likely make the move to 2nd next month.

James would be a great fit for center but right now don?t have a reliable bat to put in at 3rd with him going to CF. By moving him to CF without having a good upgrade backup then you are just swapping holes.
    They started Cumbest in CF the other day.

vCash
    Yeah, so in other words that shows they have more faith in finding an outfield backup to move position to another outfield spot, than sending James out there because they don’t have faith yet in a backup third baseman.

vCash
    Yeah, so in other words that shows they have more faith in finding an outfield backup to move position to another outfield spot, than sending James out there because they don’t have faith yet in a backup third baseman.
    Jame is at 3B all season. That's written in ink.

vCash
    Maybe so due to being hardheaded. But I think he gets moved in the minors
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Luckily we have the best in the business that will figure it out. Lemonis will make it work.
    Amen to this! Proven it over and over!

vCash
    He played a pretty good 3B in the postseason. He's got a cannon over there.

We do have Slate Alford who is a very good defensive 3B. Worn the yellow jersey twice this fall. And he can hit too.
    Oh I agree Kam was much better defensively in postseason than regular season. I do think his future in pro ball is in cf, with his speed, arm and bat.

vCash
    I wouldn't quite go that far. Hatcher was written in ink at first base with Luke Hancock at DH/C last year at this time too. Landon Jordan was going to start a lot too.

Lemonis will put the best people out there and he will find a spot for them. The thing is we don't know which of the freshmen are really ready at this point. That will dictate who goes where because Lemonis will get them in the lineup.

If Meche is hitting better than Chance and Alford we'll probably move Yeager to the outfield.

If Alford is better than Kam James we will move James to the outfield.

If Chance wins an outfield spot he will play there and we will play Yeager at second or maybe shortstop.

If Hines isn't quite ready we'll move Hancock at first base and then use someone else that can hit at DH.

There are a lot of moving parts here as always at this time and that won't be settled until sometime during the season. The only guy that has a spot locked down with no question is Logan Tanner. Then the ones who will definitely have a spot in the starting lineup at this point are Kellum Clark, Hancock, Cumbest, James...with Forsythe and Yeager probably at 95% plus at being in the starting lineup as well as complete locks. It's just a matter of what position for those guys. Which means if my math is correct we're only really looking at 2-3 spots that are really up for grabs in the lineup at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Oh I agree Kam was much better defensively in postseason than regular season. I do think his future in pro ball is in cf, with his speed, arm and bat.
    I don't know. Maybe. I think he could also potentially improve a lot and stick at third in the pros. He basically just started playing third base in the middle of last year and as you said improved a lot.