Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rush 3 drop 8

vCash

Rush 3 drop 8

Thanks Scoob for fixing this.

Is the mood changing around this issue? I know we are all kind of giddy after what the team just did to A&M, a lot of talk about they didn't run much 3-8 and a lot of talk that they couldn't stop us using the 3-8 so they had to change.

Where are we at with this?

I think we are somewhere in the middle, a lot of you folks think the Kentucky game is going to be our test. I honestly feel like Bama is going to be our test, reason being is I agree with Gun on this issue that if the Airbone ran correctly it neutralizes top talent defenses and forces the defense to play bland ball. If this is the case and we are able to hold our on verse Bama's dline, and we build off of last week. We should move the ball pretty well at least between the 20s. We have always struggled to score in the red-zone outside of '14 and '17. So, we will see what happens there. BUT! If we can hold our water verse their line and move the ball on them, my opinion is that this offense will work in this conference and we should be very excited.

Last thing, the above only works if we can stop their pass rush. If we cannot stop their rush then the whole thought dies. Until we can block 3 with 5 or 4 with five on a consistent basis we will never know if the Airbone will work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post

Is the mood changing around this issue? I know we are all kind of giddy after what the team just did to A&M, a lot of talk about they didn't run much 3-8 and a lot of talk that they couldn't stop us using the 3-8 so they had to change.

I think we are somewhere in the middle, a lot of you folks think the Kentucky game is going to be our test. I honestly feel like Bama is going to be our test, reason being is I agree with Gun on this issue that if the Airbone ran correctly it neutralizes top talent defenses and forces the defense to play bland ball. If this is the case and we are able to hold our on verse Bama's dline, and we build off of last week. We should move the ball pretty well at least between the 20s. We have always struggled to score in the red-zone outside of '14 and '17. So, we will see what happens there. BUT! If we can hold our water verse their line and move the ball on them, my opinion is that this offense will work in this conference and we should be very excited.

Last thing, the above only works if we can stop their pass rush. If we cannot stop their rush then the whole thought dies. Until we can block 3 with 5 or 4 with five on a consistent basis we will never know if the Airbone will work.
    I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment. We are running the offense better. I don't think we're running it well yet. Plus, unlike A&M, we're not going to have the advantage of going up against a mediocre offense. They can pass and will score on us, which is going to put more pressure on the offense. Maybe that actually helps us by forcing Will to be more aggressive, but I am expecting it to be too much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post

I agree. That's why I think we'll cover the 21. I feel like we'll consistently play to our opponent for the most part. While talent and coaching will still matter, worse teams that play disciplined football will still compete with us, and more talented teams than us will struggle b/c we'll be able to move the ball, but if they play disciplined, they should still win most of the time.

In the end Bama will be too good to overcome, b/c they'll play disciplined against us and their talent is a couple of levels above us. I still feel if we are making progress, we'll be able move the ball on them, take up a lot of time and score some. I just hope our entire group of running backs aren't all concussed by half time for being used as tackle dummies by the Bama linebackers coming in like heat seeking missiles.

vCash
    Leach's offense largely removes the physicality advantage at the line of scrimmage we have against G5 teams which is largely why Memphis and la tech can play with us, but also removes the physicality disadvantage we have at the line of scrimmage against the 5 stars of the world, which is largely why we can beat LSU and Aggie and play with Uga. Pass blocking is easier than moving a stronger, faster DL out of the way.

vCash
    I hope Bama runs the 3-8 vs us. That will give Will time to throw & we'll play ball control, which will lead to a pretty low scoring game.

We may not score many points, but, if Bama plays a 3-8, there's a good chance it's 21-10 or so entering the 4th quarter.

It's just super hard for a defense to dominate a competent offense while running a 3-8. Sure you can keep everything in front of you, but that still means we're picking up 1st downs, running clock, & keeping the ball.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Leach's offense largely removes the physicality advantage at the line of scrimmage we have against G5 teams which is largely why Memphis and la tech can play with us, but also removes the physicality disadvantage we have at the line of scrimmage against the 5 stars of the world, which is largely why we can beat LSU and Aggie and play with Uga. Pass blocking is easier than moving a stronger, faster DL out of the way.
    Correct. There is a give & take.

Leach's offense gives the bad teams our schedule a chance due to removing the physicality of the offense while also giving us a chance to beat anyone

vCash
    If I’m Saban, I would play blitz 8 and drop 3. We would prolly be -yards…

If we make it through the Bama hame healthy, I will be happy…

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    If I’m Saban, I would play blitz 8 and drop 3. We would prolly be -yards…

If we make it through the Bama hame healthy, I will be happy…
    We'd score 50 if they did this

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    We'd score 50 if they did this
    Bama will dominate the LOS, they are the most physical team we will play by far. I'm not seeing us being very physical, we give up lots of points and we struggle mostly in the second halves. We have played two good teams and 2 bad teams and another average team at best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Bama will dominate the LOS
    We'll see. I'm cautiously optimistic after LSU & Bama that they won't dominate the LOS

vCash
    We'll see. I'm cautiously optimistic after LSU & Bama that they won't dominate the LOS
    You remind me of a good friend, we is all in with the Pirate, he has been saying "gotta give him time to get his recruits, season two isn't enough" So after we beat a top 15 way over rated Coach and team, his thoughts were 'We've turned the corner"! I laughed and told him I thought season two wasn't enough time to judge. His reply was well maybe you are correct but......

Bama is just on a different level, so I want be surprised unless we play them to the end, can't see it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    You remind me of a good friend, we is all in with the Pirate, he has been saying "gotta give him time to get his recruits, season two isn't enough" So after we beat a top 15 way over rated Coach and team, his thoughts were 'We've turned the corner"! I laughed and told him I thought season two wasn't enough time to judge. His reply was well maybe you are correct but......

Bama is just on a different level, so I want be surprised unless we play them to the end, can't see it.
    That's fine. After the past 13 years, I totally understand why we probably should expect to blown out. I can't blame anyone for that.

I'm just saying that I do see a path to competitiveness in this game. There may only be a 30% chance of it coming to fruition, but I do feel like, if there is a style of team that can give Bama a run, it's our style that SHOULD give them the most trouble.

vCash
    A&M is going to end up 2-6...maybe 3-5 in the SEC if they get a break. They are just very limited offensively this season.

Bama and Georgia are just alot better than everyone. Bama up 42-7 on Mississippi should have convinced you of that.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    That's fine. After the past 13 years, I totally understand why we probably should expect to blown out. I can't blame anyone for that.

I'm just saying that I do see a path to competitiveness in this game. There may only be a 30% chance of it coming to fruition, but I do feel like, if there is a style of team that can give Bama a run, it's our style that SHOULD give them the most trouble.
    I sure wish and hope you are correct Gun, but I've seen way more games against Bama to have a fussy feeling of playing them close. In my lifetime only a few times have I seen us beat Bama, Emory, JWS, and Croom. I will say I never will forget the night in Jackson my freshman year when Bama had Johnny Musso as a running back and we had a hurt QB in Tommy Pharr.
    Before the game Coach Charlie Shira told Coach Bear Bryant if Pharr got hurt we had no one to play QB the rest of the game. Bama didn't put much pressure of Pharr and he had an awesome game and we almost beat them that night! I wish the Pirate we use this strategy and Saba would play lose on defense, LOL
    Btw, most have not a clue about Pharr, when he came to Msu he was a running QB and a good one. He then worked hard at throwing the ball and was the most improved passer in my lifetime I ever watched. He would have been the perfect QB in the so called Air Raid. Also David Smith and Sammy Milner were great wideouts in that offense.
    Sorry to bring up the past.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    A&M is going to end up 2-6...maybe 3-5 in the SEC if they get a break. They are just very limited offensively this season.

Bama and Georgia are just alot better than everyone. Bama up 42-7 on Mississippi should have convinced you of that.
    Texas A&M is very good on defense and particularly up front. When we play Alabama we will be facing the same level talent up front that we faced against A&M. I don’t expect us to win the game because our defense is a bit overrated in my opinion and Alabama will be able to score, but I expect us to move the ball well on Alabama. Our OL has protected very well for the past 3 weeks, 2 of which we were facing elite defensive fronts. We will play them a lot better than Ole Miss did.

vCash

They also beat Fla by 2. They are good but if we get blown out I'll be disappointed. I see 38-17.

And I'm not crowning Mississippi yet. They've beaten a 1-5 Tulane, a horrible Austin peay, and a meh Louisville. They didn't beat anybody with a pulse last year either (KY, Vandy, Usce, and us). Popcorn has 1 sec west win and it was at home by 7 points against a 3-7 state team that had 49 players. Tomorrow is a must win for Kernel Reb or the narrative i just laid out will run wild next week.
    Last edited by confucius say; 10-08-2021 at 01:01 PM.

vCash

I totally get it. OM couldn't run the ball on Bama and their offense requires that and the score of the OM Bama game also has a lot to do with Kiffin going for it on 4th and giving them short fields.

You're probably right. Is it ok if I try to figure out a way that we'll be competitive though? Can I try?

vCash
    They also beat Fla by 2. They are good but if we get blown out I'll be disappointed. I see 38-17.

And I'm not crowning Mississippi yet. They've beaten a 1-5 Tulane, a horrible Austin peay, and a meh Louisville. They didn't beat anybody with a pulse last year either (KY, Vandy, Usce, and us). Popcorn has 1 sec west win and it was at home by 7 points against a 3-7 state team that had 49 players. Tomorrow is a must win for Kernel Reb or the narrative i just laid out will run wild next week.
    I kinda see a 34-17 type game too.

vCash

I was mainly talking about the Mississippi offense. It is good. Now Kernal Kiffin will make some dumb moves and their D is very suspect- but offensively they are good. Bama shutting them down was impressive. Saban is the best defensive coach in NCAA football- in addition to being the best recruiter obviously. They will give The Airbone too many problems. Just coached well and too much talent
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    The longer Leach is here the less and less the rush 3 drop will be effective. To Basedog's point it does take a couple of years to master the offense so the fact that we are improving and are able to play with anyone on our schedule is a positive at this point. At the same time we could also lose to anyone on our schedule as well because our margin for error is small.

So at this point I'm encouraged and taking this year in context and looking forward to the future.