Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rush 3 drop 8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Leach's offense largely removes the physicality advantage at the line of scrimmage we have against G5 teams which is largely why Memphis and la tech can play with us, but also removes the physicality disadvantage we have at the line of scrimmage against the 5 stars of the world, which is largely why we can beat LSU and Aggie and play with Uga. Pass blocking is easier than moving a stronger, faster DL out of the way.
    Games against people like La Tech and Memphis for us essentially come down to whether our defense can shut them down or not and whether we turn the ball over a ton or not.

Overall I agree with your assessment about physicality.

vCash
    I think what a lot of our fanbase is missing is that for all of ******* tenure he played scared in big games. I think that's what I hated most about him, our team and I think our base kind of adopted that mindset after watching non competitive game after non competitive game against top talent. This is not Leach, Leach will walk into any stadium against any team and have the mentality that we can win if we execute. We might not have won anymore under mullen than what we did if he had the same mentality, but I promise you this the games against top teams would have been much more fun to watch that what we had to endure.

Under Leach I at least feel like we are going to try to win, honestly because I feel like Leach wants to win. Just being honest I feel like Mullen didn't care sometimes, he knew he was safe and sound until he found Florida. He could spin the loss anyway he wanted and the media would buy it because.... poor ole middatippy tate.

This team is trying to learn to have a killer instinct, they haven't yet, once they do. Its going to be good and it will give us the edge we need to complete against the top talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    I think what a lot of our fanbase is missing is that for all of ******* tenure he played scared in big games. I think that's what I hated most about him, our team and I think our base kind of adopted that mindset after watching non competitive game after non competitive game against top talent. This is not Leach, Leach will walk into any stadium against any team and have the mentality that we can win if we execute. We might not have won anymore under mullen than what we did if he had the same mentality, but I promise you this the games against top teams would have been much more fun to watch that what we had to endure.

Under Leach I at least feel like we are going to try to win, honestly because I feel like Leach wants to win. Just being honest I feel like Mullen didn't care sometimes, he knew he was safe and sound until he found Florida. He could spin the loss anyway he wanted and the media would buy it because.... poor ole middatippy tate.

This team is trying to learn to have a killer instinct, they haven't yet, once they do. Its going to be good and it will give us the edge we need to complete against the top talent.
    I think Dan tried to win. But he was obviously a different coach against teams with better talent. Way more conservative. Plus I don't think his style really lended to us upsetting to many people in general. It's not a coincidence his best year with many of his biggest wins was when we were able to pass the ball well with Dak.

Personally in general I feel like it's hard for run first teams to come back on people because to come back a lot of times you have to throw the ball. And if your run first a lot of times that's not their element where they're comfortable.

I also got tired of people shutting us down by simply putting 9 in the box. Happened under Jackie, Croom, Dan, and Moorhead.

vCash
    Players make plays. I think State executed and generally played with more confidence last week than in previous weeks. For instance, we ran a run play early in the game. THe hole was there. ATM had two LBs in the hole. Marks bounces it outside, out runs LBs to the corner, breaks two arm tackles and finishes the run falling forward. WHat should have been a 0 yard gain, was a 7 yard gain because of Marks ability. Bama will be faster at LB obviously. Will threw it well, zero picks. I don't recall any critical drops in the game by WRs. No turnovers.

With that said, I would interested in hearing the throughts of CoachNorm or Coach34 or any other coach on how difficult is it for a team that runs 4 DLs as the base defense, plays a lot of man coverage, to switch to a rush 3 and play zone coverage all game. I am sure all teams practice a prevent defense on occasion but how easy is it for an aggressive attacking defense to play prevent all game? How well will they execute defensively, the cover 3/6? It looked like last year, playing that 3-8 was easy for Arkansas as they run a 3-3-5.

Going forward, it will be interesting to watch, which defense we perform well against and which shut us down. LSU ran a 4-3 last year. UGA runs a 3-4. Memphis, Arkansas and Bama run 3 DL mostly. OM and aTm and LSU run more 4 DL. and which teams are better playing zone v man to man coverage.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 10-08-2021 at 06:17 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    You remind me of a good friend, we is all in with the Pirate, he has been saying "gotta give him time to get his recruits, season two isn't enough" So after we beat a top 15 way over rated Coach and team, his thoughts were 'We've turned the corner"! I laughed and told him I thought season two wasn't enough time to judge. His reply was well maybe you are correct but......

Bama is just on a different level, so I want be surprised unless we play them to the end, can't see it.
    What does losing to bama and believing in Leach have to do with anything? When is the last time msu (or anyone else) beat bama? If you can't see that the team is getting better, you're probably cheering for the wrong team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I was mainly talking about the Mississippi offense. It is good. Now Kernal Kiffin will make some dumb moves and their D is very suspect- but offensively they are good. Bama shutting them down was impressive. Saban is the best defensive coach in NCAA football- in addition to being the best recruiter obviously. They will give The Airbone too many problems. Just coached well and too much talent
    I mostly agree with that. 34-10, 38-17.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think Dan tried to win. But he was obviously a different coach against teams with better talent. Way more conservative. Plus I don't think his style really lended to us upsetting to many people in general. It's not a coincidence his best year with many of his biggest wins was when we were able to pass the ball well with Dak.

Personally in general I feel like it's hard for run first teams to come back on people because to come back a lot of times you have to throw the ball. And if your run first a lot of times that's not their element where they're comfortable.

I also got tired of people shutting us down by simply putting 9 in the box. Happened under Jackie, Croom, Dan, and Moorhead.
    Facts! That is my main reason why I really want Leach to work here. Because if he does, we will always be in a position to be able to win. Or come back to win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RezDog7 View Post
    What does losing to bama and believing in Leach have to do with anything? When is the last time msu (or anyone else) beat bama? If you can't see that the team is getting better, you're probably cheering for the wrong team.
    Dude I will always cheer for MSU. I just don't see us beating Bama. As far as getting better, let's hope so.

vCash
    I think this type of offense has the ability to give us better shots at winning games against the upper middle tier like UF, aTm, Auburn and LSU while they are down. I just don?t think it will impact us much against a team like Bama or UGA because the talent level is just too much to overcome. It also puts us a risk though against the bottom half of the conference to lose to someone we shouldn?t. Overall though I am going to be curious to see how it plays out over the next few years

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    I think this type of offense has the ability to give us better shots at winning games against the upper middle tier like UF, aTm, Auburn and LSU while they are down. I just don?t think it will impact us much against a team like Bama or UGA because the talent level is just too much to overcome. It also puts us a risk though against the bottom half of the conference to lose to someone we shouldn?t. Overall though I am going to be curious to see how it plays out over the next few years
    I think it also gives us a chance to have a potential 11-1 type season if we have a team with a lot of talent like we appear to be able to put together every five years or so. Like 2010, 2014, 2018 for reference. I feel like we squandered the 2014 season (yes) and definitely will get no arguments about squndering 2018 from anyone here.

vCash
    Biggest hinderance on overcoming this weakness is that basically the team resets every 2-3 years, starting the process over. If it were like the pros, where the team could be composed of veteran players, this would be less of an issue, but we will see a revolving door at WR, probably the most important factor in finding the holes in the zone with their routes. I can see it easily being similar to 1 good year, 2 mediocre, 1 great, 2 pretty bad, 1 good, and so on. Rollercoaster of love? No, rollercoaster of hate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    Biggest hinderance on overcoming this weakness is that basically the team resets every 2-3 years, starting the process over. If it were like the pros, where the team could be composed of veteran players, this would be less of an issue, but we will see a revolving door at WR, probably the most important factor in finding the holes in the zone with their routes. I can see it easily being similar to 1 good year, 2 mediocre, 1 great, 2 pretty bad, 1 good, and so on. Rollercoaster of love? No, rollercoaster of hate.
    That's more of a recruiting issue. We're a developmental program. We can't afford to start a bunch of sophomores at key positions and expect to have a really good year. We have to get to a point where we are replacing seniors with juniors every year.

vCash
    Agreed, but what is one of the biggest complaints on CML? He?s not a guy big on recruiting. Why? Because he thinks his system neutralizes talent gaps and seemingly prides himself on that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    Did you miss our game vs UGA last year?
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    It doesn’t start over though. In year 1, no one knows what they’re doing. In year 3, most players know what they’re doing and can help teach others. The process refines over time. It’s why Iowa and Wisconsin are so consistent
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Maybe. I hope you?re right, but I?m still leaning more that-
    Eh bad take. Not the same thing in the SEC 😉😂

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    If Bama is our test like you suggest, it will have next to nothing to do with their drop 8, but everything to do with the three they send. If our OL gets the job done, we will move the ball. If they are forcing our OL into the lap of Will, it may be a long day, longer than expected.

I personally really don?t care about the Bama game. They are far superior to our team in all three phases of the game. I would rather go ahead and forfeit and start prepping for our next two games because nothing will come out of the Bama game other than injuries. But, that isn?t an option, so we might as well give Bama all they can handle.

We need to win the other games, Auburn, Kentucky, Arkansas, Ole Miss, etc. If I had to call one as a test, it would be Arkansas. We really do not match up well against them.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Well obviously QB pressure really effects the passing game. But Saban is a master at coverages. Saban prepares that team to play in all types of zone coverages. Alabama is not going to get confused and bust coverages often. If State keeps that Bama game close, against that secondary, I'll be super impressed with the air raid. I'll be there. So I hope it happens.

Anyways, I agree that Alabama is so talented. Really, it's the UK, Ark and OM games that will define this season.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 10-09-2021 at 08:45 AM.