Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James Meredith

vCash

James Meredith

Mods.. Please remove if not allowed.

James Meredith is currently being honored on the news as a civil rights activist and as the first black student to join Ole Miss. He is wearing a hat that says "New Miss" in OM blue and red... clearly a shot at their university name that has a questionable history. My question is, why do we as a university not use this to our advantage more? We are the progressive university in the state. We have a higher population of diverse students. We have a presidential library named after the great Ulyssess Grant while they have students hanging nooses on civil rights statues. They had rioting over letting in a black student in 62, while just one year later in 63 we snuck away in the middle of the night (violating state law) to play a game against Loyola because it was the right thing to do. To this day they still are called the rebels. No, I am not an advocate for cancel culture, and no we as a University are not perfect and have had many faults, but it's time we call them out on their shit while also pushing positive change and equality.

vCash
    You just complimented Ulysses S. Grant?!?! Oh boy, better hunker down...here come all the closet rebs.***

vCash
    In before the lock.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DEDawg View Post

James Meredith is currently being honored on the news as a civil rights activist and as the first black student to join Ole Miss. He is wearing a hat that says "New Miss" in OM blue and red... clearly a shot at their university name that has a questionable history. My question is, why do we as a university not use this to our advantage more? We are the progressive university in the state. We have a higher population of diverse students. We have a presidential library named after the great Ulyssess Grant while they have students hanging nooses on civil rights statues. They had rioting over letting in a black student in 62, while just one year later in 63 we snuck away in the middle of the night (violating state law) to play a game against Loyola because it was the right thing to do. To this day they still are called the rebels. No, I am not an advocate for cancel culture, and no we as a University are not perfect and have had many faults, but it's time we call them out on their shit while also pushing positive change and equality.
    To your question, we do a pretty good job of highlighting our positives; the "Game of Change" being a prime example. We even hired the first black HC in the SEC, despite how devastating that particular person happened to turn out to be.

The thing with OM and their history...to their benefit, their issues often get lumped into the "Mississippi issues", writ large....which ends up sharing the blame and shame with all of us, instead of just them. It's BS. The fact it took as long as it did for their fans to stop waving rebel flags, chanting "the south will rise again", and playing Dixie is a miraculous example of how they've managed to keep that shit under the radar. A dark secret, though...those changes have just been made "inside the stadium"....the grove and elsewhere, lol? Same ole, same ole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    The fact it took as long as it did for their fans to stop waving rebel flags, chanting "the south will rise again", and playing Dixie is a miraculous example of how they've managed to keep that shit under the radar.
    How tf did I forget to mention here they are still named Ole Miss, lol?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    In before the lock.
    Don?t see any reason to lock. OP has a point, hopefully it?s can discussed because let?s be honest? we?re better than them and we?d all love to see them called out on their crap

To your question, we do a pretty good job of highlighting our positives; the "Game of Change" being a prime example. We even hired the first black HC in the SEC, despite how devastating that particular person happened to turn out to be.

The thing with OM and their history...to their benefit, their issues often get lumped into the "Mississippi issues", writ large....which ends up sharing the blame and shame with all of us, instead of just them. It's BS. The fact it took as long as it did for their fans to stop waving rebel flags, chanting "the south will rise again", and playing Dixie is a miraculous example of how they've managed to keep that shit under the radar. A dark secret, though...those changes have just been made "inside the stadium"....the grove and elsewhere, lol? Same ole, same ole.
    I remember going to a game in 2013 and they were waving confederate flags all in the grove. I haven?t been back since then but would hope that?s something they don?t do anymore with even the state flag being changed now

vCash

I don't believe change is in the dna of those folks at that cesspool up north.

vCash
    Let's face it...OM folk just have a blind spot...end of story

vCash
    Before they close the Courthouse Gym I use to sit and talk to him all the time. Really nice guy.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DEDawg View Post

Cause this shit happened 43 years before the current students were born. No seriously, it just isn?t something to celebrate anymore. It isn?t the center of our focus right now. If you want to celebrate something, maybe we should discuss how many schollys we get organized and hand out to students of MDCC or any of the high schools in the Delta. In my opinion, maybe we should start by offering a work placement opportunity for newly graduated teachers to go earn their stripes in the Delta. Next, once we get the standard of education up to snuff in the delta, we establish full rides to anyone from the delta that wants to enter the AG program or engineering. It is time OUR university to go big into transforming this state. Bring in the best of the best and end the cycle of poverty in the lowest of the low.

Yeah we have a slightly better track record on racial relations than UM. But to be honest, that isn?t that much of a taking point for me. The bigger would be to put our money where our mouths are and do our duty for the entire state.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    Keep families together. Quickest way to end poverty.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    My wife "earned her stripes" working in the delta through the critical needs program, but it should never be mandated...

vCash
    I know Mr. Meredith very well and really enjoy talking politics and social issues with him. He?s a very humble man and unbelievably gracious person considering his history. I can tell you this, he is fully aware that Ole Miss uses him. Several years back when the frat boys defaced his statue on campus, I asked him what he thought about all the attention he was getting because of it. His response, ?I told them folks (OM Admin) I didn?t want no statue of me in the first place! The Bible says in Exodus Thou shalt not create a graven image to anything!?.

Banned
    vCash
    Ole Miss still getting a pass on their name is just as confusing as our sneak hoops flight being ignored. A great STATE story you never hear about outside our circles.

vCash
    I grew up here in the 60's and 70's and yes, those were some violent times...It was scary dealing with all the entrenched KKK that controlled many counties but a group of us came up with a plan to help get these folks out of power. There was Justice Department involvement and was very rapid change in late late 70's and early 80's .... I do remember telling a corrupt sheriff that "I'll beat you in the streets, I'll beat you in the courts and I'll beat you at the ballot box...your days are numbered..he laughed but was removed from office the next year...I left the state for 40 years, I can say in many respects that Mississippi is far better regarding race and ethnicity than other parts of the country. The negative perception comes from those who have never even been to Mississippi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Cause this shit happened 43 years before the current students were born. No seriously, it just isn?t something to celebrate anymore. It isn?t the center of our focus right now.
    This is the answer. Along with the fact that nobody really cares. People care enough to put stuff on facebook and message boards, but they aren't changing any meaningful decision for the most part. Look at how little it hurts Ole Miss in recruiting. Even the people that you would think would be the most upset about it don't really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    If you want to celebrate something, maybe we should discuss how many schollys we get organized and hand out to students of MDCC or any of the high schools in the Delta. In my opinion, maybe we should start by offering a work placement opportunity for newly graduated teachers to go earn their stripes in the Delta. Next, once we get the standard of education up to snuff in the delta, we establish full rides to anyone from the delta that wants to enter the AG program or engineering. It is time OUR university to go big into transforming this state. Bring in the best of the best and end the cycle of poverty in the lowest of the low.

Yeah we have a slightly better track record on racial relations than UM. But to be honest, that isn?t that much of a taking point for me. The bigger would be to put our money where our mouths are and do our duty for the entire state.
    We are basically already doing this. And our reward is to get hammered in rankings because we are attempting to give disadvantaged students more opportunity, and that comes with lower retention and attrition rates.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    This is the answer. Along with the fact that nobody really cares. People care enough to put stuff on facebook and message boards, but they aren't changing any meaningful decision for the most part. Look at how little it hurts Ole Miss in recruiting. Even the people that you would think would be the most upset about it don't really care.

We are basically already doing this. And our reward is to get hammered in rankings because we are attempting to give disadvantaged students more opportunity, and that comes with lower retention and attrition rates.
    Definitely a good asterisk to have beside our stats. We seem to not wanna tout our diversity. Don't we rank #1 in SEC on that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    Definitely a good asterisk to have beside our stats. We seem to not wanna tout our diversity. Don't we rank #1 in SEC on that?
    I believe we do have the largest percentage of African American students in the SEC. We truly are the People's University and we don't get enough credit.

vCash
    In.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    In.
    Go away Tusk! This is DOG TALK! ��