Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: James Meredith

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    In.
    Shouldn't you be preparing for a sleepover with the A&M Yell boys?**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezsoil View Post
    I grew up here in the 60's and 70's and yes, those were some violent times...It was scary dealing with all the entrenched KKK that controlled many counties but a group of us came up with a plan to help get these folks out of power. There was Justice Department involvement and was very rapid change in late late 70's and early 80's .... I do remember telling a corrupt sheriff that "I'll beat you in the streets, I'll beat you in the courts and I'll beat you at the ballot box...your days are numbered..he laughed but was removed from office the next year...I left the state for 40 years, I can say in many respects that Mississippi is far better regarding race and ethnicity than other parts of the country. The negative perception comes from those who have never even been to Mississippi.
    Very well said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Shouldn't you be preparing for a sleepover with the A&M Yell boys?**
    We gonna "hammer" em!!!!

Wait, is there anything wrong with that???

"It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    We gonna "hammer" em!!!!

Wait, is there anything wrong with that???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    You just complimented Ulysses S. Grant?!?! Oh boy, better hunker down...here come all the closet rebs.***
    And MSU has several direct descendants of Grant that graduated from it in the past 20 years. Almost exactly 20 actually

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Very well said.
    Agree. like button 👆🏼 On both Ezsoil and Comet comments.

vCash
    One cannot help where he starts in life, but it is strange to condemn him for actively making changes to be better by continually anchoring him to his past. While much of history needs not be celebrated, it is quite dangerous to eliminate the lessons learned of the ways spurned, and the hard work that led to the change that we hope for. I honestly hope that James Meredith can enjoy the knowledge that he was part of the change that granted the opportunity to so many at his university and ours. A spark that ignited a ferocious fire that was needed to burn away the old, giving way to the new.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Cause this shit happened 43 years before the current students were born. No seriously, it just isn?t something to celebrate anymore. It isn?t the center of our focus right now. If you want to celebrate something, maybe we should discuss how many schollys we get organized and hand out to students of MDCC or any of the high schools in the Delta. In my opinion, maybe we should start by offering a work placement opportunity for newly graduated teachers to go earn their stripes in the Delta. Next, once we get the standard of education up to snuff in the delta, we establish full rides to anyone from the delta that wants to enter the AG program or engineering. It is time OUR university to go big into transforming this state. Bring in the best of the best and end the cycle of poverty in the lowest of the low.

Yeah we have a slightly better track record on racial relations than UM. But to be honest, that isn?t that much of a taking point for me. The bigger would be to put our money where our mouths are and do our duty for the entire state.
    Oh my

Sending first year teachers to the delta would in no way improve the level of education for those students. What it would do is increase the number of teachers that leave the profession early. Reality is what it is.

Until the actual reasons for low socioeconomic areas educational failures are actually fixed or focused on at least nothing will change.

Great idea tho*

Banned
    vCash
    In