Thread: RB Productivity

vCash

RB Productivity

There's been tons and tons of discussion about our rushing attack as a team/program under the offensive scheme of Mike Leach. I was curious to see how the numbers stacked up halfway through the season and saw some things there that I found interesting and thought I'd throw out there for everyone.

First, some points I'd like to make:
    • We need a better goal line rushing attack. I think that's an O-line issue.
    • We need to score more points (duh).
    • Turnovers and special teams miscues are the reason we lost those 2 games and are underperforming. I expect that will get cleaned up.
    • We still aren't beating Bama, and won't unless we start recruiting in the top 10 and Saban calls it quits.
    • I think a lot of people are too focused on HOW the RBs get their touches, instead of how productive they are when they get them.
    • Building on the previous point, you need to quit looking at RB dump-offs as passes (even though they're scored that way) and more as delayed draws when QB doesn't see a good throw downfield.
    • Our WRs have gotten better at running themselves open in zone coverage. As they continue to do that I think you'll see less dump-offs and more 10-15 yard tosses. Just my suspicion, I have no actual data for that.

So overall, the RB position has the following stats:
    Rush: 71 / 310 - 4.36 yards/carry
    Rec: 71 / 417 - 5.87 yard/rec
    Total: 142 / 727 - 5.12 yards/touch

Note the 50/50 split between rushes and receptions. I was surprised by that to be honest.

Marks
    Rush: 40/155 - 3.6 yards/carry
    Rec: 38/201 - 5.3 yards/rec
    Total: 78/356 - 4.5 yards/touch

Johnson
    Rush: 29/150 - 5.1 yards/carry
    Rec: 31/201 - 6.48 yards/rec
    Total: 60/351 - 5.85 yards/touch

Jernighan
    Rush: 2/5 - 2.5 yards/carry
    Rec: 3/15 - 5.0 yards/rec
    Total: 5/20 - 4.0 yards/touch

Other than a short yardage situations (obviously), if we were getting 5.1 yards per carry from the RB position to go along with 5 TDs under say, Mullen, would people be okay with that? Not trying to call people out here, I'm legitimately curious. I'm not a coach by trade, but in my mind a yard is a yard and it doesn't matter how you get there. The same discussion was had on this board when Fitz was running wild but we couldn't throw.

vCash
    Based on those stats we need to toss the ball to the RB more instead of handing off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by memsu06 View Post
    Based on those stats we need to toss the ball to the RB more instead of handing off.
    I mean, I wasn?t going to say it but the numbers don?t lie. I know there are situations that running has to be done but yeah - I?d rather get 7 yards than 3.5.

vCash
    If the RB dump offs were actually because none of the first several options were open, I wouldnt mind them as much. But too often they are one of the first two looks, and that limits our offense. Also, regardless of whether they pick up 5 yards or not, we never break one, so it makes it easy on defenses. It's hard to go up and down the field on 10+ play drives in order to score...you have to have some big plays. When a huge chunk of our plays on O are dump offs that we know will max out at 5-7 yards, it severely limits opportunities at big plays. And the worst is when we have 3rd and 6 and throw a dump pass to the RB that is easily stopped short of the first down, thus basically conceding the drive. I'd rather force one in there and risk a turnover or throw a deep route into coverage that will basically be a punt if intercepted. At least that gives us a prayer at extending drives and putting up points

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadrupleOption View Post
    There's been tons and tons of discussion about our rushing attack as a team/program under the offensive scheme of Mike Leach. I was curious to see how the numbers stacked up halfway through the season and saw some things there that I found interesting and thought I'd throw out there for everyone.

First, some points I'd like to make:
    • We need a better goal line rushing attack. I think that's an O-line issue.
    • We need to score more points (duh).
    • Turnovers and special teams miscues are the reason we lost those 2 games and are underperforming. I expect that will get cleaned up.
    • We still aren't beating Bama, and won't unless we start recruiting in the top 10 and Saban calls it quits.
    • I think a lot of people are too focused on HOW the RBs get their touches, instead of how productive they are when they get them.
    • Building on the previous point, you need to quit looking at RB dump-offs as passes (even though they're scored that way) and more as delayed draws when QB doesn't see a good throw downfield.
    • Our WRs have gotten better at running themselves open in zone coverage. As they continue to do that I think you'll see less dump-offs and more 10-15 yard tosses. Just my suspicion, I have no actual data for that.

So overall, the RB position has the following stats:
    Rush: 71 / 310 - 4.36 yards/carry
    Rec: 71 / 417 - 5.87 yard/rec
    Total: 142 / 727 - 5.12 yards/touch

Note the 50/50 split between rushes and receptions. I was surprised by that to be honest.

Marks
    Rush: 40/155 - 3.6 yards/carry
    Rec: 38/201 - 5.3 yards/rec
    Total: 78/356 - 4.5 yards/touch

Johnson
    Rush: 29/150 - 5.1 yards/carry
    Rec: 31/201 - 6.48 yards/rec
    Total: 60/351 - 5.85 yards/touch

Jernighan
    Rush: 2/5 - 2.5 yards/carry
    Rec: 3/15 - 5.0 yards/rec
    Total: 5/20 - 4.0 yards/touch

Other than a short yardage situations (obviously), if we were getting 5.1 yards per carry from the RB position to go along with 5 TDs under say, Mullen, would people be okay with that? Not trying to call people out here, I'm legitimately curious. I'm not a coach by trade, but in my mind a yard is a yard and it doesn't matter how you get there. The same discussion was had on this board when Fitz was running wild but we couldn't throw.
    Well, you need to look at yards per target, not per reception. Not sure how much that changes it since we obviously complete a high percentage of short throws to the RB.

The only other comment I would have is that if a team is rushing three and basically dropping 8, I'd prefer to be able to force them out of the 3-8 by gashing them for 5+ yards a carry. But I don't really care how we do it as long as we do it. If we can block three and force them out of the 3-8 because our QB carves them up when he has that much time, that's fine too.

vCash
    One big thing that I noticed in A&M that I have been suspect on is our RBs vision. Johnson had a TD on that interception drive, he completely missed the hole, Woodie I don't think misses the hole. But, as a unit I think they are rather young in their ability to see where the hole is and running there. My suspicion is that is and will hinder our ability to run until they can see holes quicker. Also, they have got to learn to break tackle, We cannot break a tackle to save our life and as much as I like Johnson that dude cannot keep his balance.

vCash
    Nice work.

I'm good with the average, like I would be if it were under Mullen. The concerning part for our RBs are the massive hits they are taking. How long can those guys hold up? And even if they make it out of here, I fear they're going to have issues just from the consistent missiles blowing them up. Also, just like under Fitz, the concern is the lack of balance. Not because Fitz wasn't getting yards, but when the game script goes a certain way, you need to be able to do something other than run with your QB. Fitz was amazing, but when we needed to go deep or just stretch the field like sometimes you do, could he do it? It was certainly unlikely. With Fitz, you knew you couldn't afford to get behind in a game. Comebacks weren't likely. It's similar with this team, but Fitz had bigger much bigger play potential than we do with anybody.

vCash
    I've got to be honest, As long as we are getting 5.0 yds per touch by running backs, I don't care if they are running or passing plays. This works, as long as no interceptions, which I am amazed as much as we pass, there have been few. Goal to go situations have been where we have looked bad trying to run. Last week we did look better running the ball outside the tackles rather than between the tackles.