Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Drives

vCash

Long Drives

Last week in a thread, there was a discussion with Prediction Pain, myself, and a couple of others about the narrative that had been popping up about us stalling in the redzone.
    In truth, when you looked at the drive charts and our Red Zone percentages, we were actually stalling out just outside the redzone.

This got me thinking about another narrative that seems to have popped up - the "pushing us to make 14 play long drives that stall or force a mistake." While it would take a hefty analysis to look at success rates of drives of certain numbers of plays vs. others (which I don't have the patience or math skills to complete), I did do a quick sample scan through a few season to compare how many Drives of 10 plays or more we averaged per game. I selected '14, '15, '17, '20 SEC games only so I had relative samples to compare.
    '14 - 2.25 drives per game
    '15 - 2.375 drives per game
    '17 - 2.5 drives per game
    '20 - 1.7 drives per game

In '21, so far we have seen an average of 3.5 drives of 10 plays or more in 2 SEC games. For the season - to get a little larger sample size - we are averaging 2.2

Interestingly, in the 3 Mullen seasons, the Alabama game led every year with 4 drives of 10 or more plays. In our 3 SEC wins in 2020, we averaged 1 drive of 10 plays or more. In '21, we have averaged 1.7 in our 3 wins.

I'm not sure what it means - but it seem to discount the idea that for the Air Raid to lead us to SEC wins that we had to have long, sustained drives.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Wouldn't the Air Raid, when properly executed lead to less number of drives?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vindastra View Post
    Yes. Wyatt broke down Will’s throw to Tulu that he dropped in the bucket vs A&M and how just last week he would’ve dumped it to a RB. We’re starting to get more downfield and it should get better and better as Will sees it
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Yes. Wyatt broke down Will’s throw to Tulu that he dropped in the bucket vs A&M and how just last week he would’ve dumped it to a RB. We’re starting to get more downfield and it should get better and better as Will sees it
    To add to it from what Jordan Rodgers was saying during the game broadcast - if the defense is only giving you the dink and dunk, then you have to have the patience and ability to pick them apart that way until you force them to break the drop 8 or whatever zone they apply. So I think possibly you still have a chance for some 10+ play drives if that is what the defense is giving you. As Rodgers said (and to give C34 some credit on his criticisms of Leach) you HAVE to make those 10+ play drives convert into points.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vindastra View Post
    You take what the defense gives you. If they want to give you a three man rush and give you 4 to 5 yards you take that. If they get frustrated with that and start playing man then you go for the longer pass or the touchdown pass. If you can continue to get 4 to 5 yards on passes or runs per play then they will have to abandon the 3-8. We just weren't consistent prior to the TAMU game with the short passing game on continuing down the field (penalty, dropped pass, bad pass, missed block, etc.) so they could just stay pretty much in a 3-8 with a few blitzes thrown in.
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 10-04-2021 at 06:34 PM.

vCash
    People get mad at me calling it The Airbone but that is what its become. And thats not a bad thing if we are making the drives count. Thats the bottom line.

If Leach would add a few more runs and make some kind of adjustment in the Red Zone- we would be in great shape offensively
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    When facing a 3-8 we cannot afford zero or negative yard completions that we had so many of prior to this weekend.

We also had more 10-12 yard completions this weekend which seems necessary to make this offense go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    People get mad at me calling it The Airbone but that is what its become. And thats not a bad thing if we are making the drives count. Thats the bottom line.

If Leach would add a few more runs and make some kind of adjustment in the Red Zone- we would be in great shape offensively
    The red zone kills me. Lining up WRs by the LOS to block guys 40-50 pounds bigger than they are.

I would really like to see something different down there. Give me anything other than 4-5 wide just once.

It's a pipe dream but man it would be nice to see us line up with 6 OL just once amd pound it home.

vCash
    The OP is correct. It's the dumb ass C34 followers that also wanted Dan fired that are complaining. I hope no one on this board is listening to those morons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
    When facing a 3-8 we cannot afford zero or negative yard completions that we had so many of prior to this weekend.

We also had more 10-12 yard completions this weekend which seems necessary to make this offense go.
    This is true. Nor can we afford penalties. It's like the old "3 yards and a cloud of dust", it worked fine until you got behind the chains. The difference is that we have the ability to hit the homerun if they start cheating towards the line. I love long, clock eating drives... as long as we score though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldsleeve Jr. View Post
    The OP is correct. It's the dumb ass C34 followers that also wanted Dan fired that are complaining. I hope no one on this board is listening to those morons.
    I never once called for Mullen to be fired. Not one time. Stop lying

After 2013- I really dont recall anybody on here wanting Mullen to be fired.
    Last edited by Coach34; 10-04-2021 at 09:05 PM.

vCash
    I never once called for Mullen to be fired. Not one time. Stop lying

After 2013- I really dont recall anybody on here wanting Mullen to be fired.
    Wow. You complained about Mullen for 10 years. Not sure if serious

vCash
    ok- did I complain or did I call for his firing? You need to figure out your position.

I complain about my girlfriend. I havent broken up with her.

vCash
    ok- did I complain or did I call for his firing? You need to figure out your position.

I complain about my girlfriend. I havent broken up with her.
    You called for his firing. Good Lord are you serious

vCash
    While there was a lot of good there was plenty to legitimately complain about like…

failing to finish coaching the 2014 season (ok look for another job but keep coaching too)
    Holloway over Aeris (sorry but that injury to our starting rb saved that season)
    Revolving door at DC
    Refusing to spend that 180,000 (naivety personified)

But in spite of all that no one including 34 was calling for his firing. But we knew he wanted out of here badly and we were tired of his shit.
    Last edited by Schultzy; 10-04-2021 at 09:48 PM.

vCash
    You called for his firing. Good Lord are you serious
    Thats a lie. Link it. I never called for us to fire Mullen. You are a lying moron

vCash
    The last coach I called for us to fire is Croom. In any sport. I didnt even call for us to fire Stands. I just kept pointing out how he did less with more

Banned
    vCash
    Never been too long but I can pop it right down the middle consistent 260 yds or so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    This is true. Nor can we afford penalties. It's like the old "3 yards and a cloud of dust", it worked fine until you got behind the chains. The difference is that we have the ability to hit the homerun if they start cheating towards the line. I love long, clock eating drives... as long as we score though.
    you love long clocks huh... but only if you score.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    you love long clocks huh... but only if you score.
    Lolz! Good thing I didn't mistype!

102K posts?!? First I've seen since I've been on here. Glad I brought you out of retirement.
    Last edited by Turfdawg67; 10-05-2021 at 07:35 AM.