Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alabama kick 6:00pm.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    The vibe that I'm picking up on from State fans regarding this Bama game .. reminds me of 1996. The Bama game in 92 and 94 had sell out crowds. Tough losses. Nobody expected us to compete in 96. It was a late kickoff. There were empty seats here and there. Lots of State fans missed that win that night.
    That game in 96 at night was an awesome evening. I can see Reggie Kelly catching a pass and racing down the field, it was electric. Great game and what a shock to me seeing us beat Bama. Doesn't happen much, but JWS wasn't afraid playing the Tide.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    That game in 96 at night was an awesome evening. I can see Reggie Kelly catching a pass and racing down the field, it was electric. Great game and what a shock to me seeing us beat Bama. Doesn't happen much, but JWS wasn't afraid playing the Tide.
    I believe he beat them three years in a roll. 96,97,98. Not too many other coaches has ever done that. If it is fact. I was at the 97 game at Bama and watch us beat Bama on the road. I was also at the Auburn game in 97 and watch them beat Auburn on the road. That doesn't happen much. Beating both schools on the road in the same year. Then I was at the 97 egg bowl and watched Tuberville go for two and win the game. 97 is the only season in Bama history that they did not win a home game. We were 7-4 in 97 and did not go to a bowl game.
    Last edited by Jack Lambert; 10-07-2021 at 09:02 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I believe he beat them three years in a roll. 96,97,98. Not too many other coaches has ever done that. If it is fact. I was at the 97 game at Bama and watch us beat Bama on the road. I was also at the Auburn game in 97 and watch them beat Auburn on the road. That doesn't happen much. Beating both schools on the road in the same year. Then I was at the 97 egg bowl and watched Tuberville go for two and win the game. 97 is the only season in Bama history that they did not win a home game. We were 7-4 in 97 and did not go to a bowl game.
    JWS brought "we can win and compete" attitude to Msu. I remember sitting at the 50 yard line when we played Tn for the Sec championship game. It was electric to say the least. Oh how we missed JJ Johnson not being able to play hat game, talk about a physical game that night. I just knew we were gonna win that game after Kevin Prentiss made an electric punt return to score and go up on Tn.

vCash
    Alabama's base defense is a 3-4. They will rush 3 DLs. But I'm sure they'll come with all kinda of blitz at some point
    You are correct that they are a 3-4 base. Saban uses multiple fronts sometimes though.

vCash
    I was at all those 97 games. That year was my first trip to Auburn. That game at Bama. I bought tickets outside the stadium before kickoff. 50 yard line in those crimson chairbacks. Point is, how quickly the support drops off when you lose. ...and kickoff is 1130am.

I went to all those Bama games. 96-01.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    Can you guys post a new thread?
    Nope. The post new thread button is not showing up for me

vCash
    Jackie wasn't scared of any team, but he sure made Bama nervous every year. Probably the only MSU coach to do that.

vCash
    I was at all those 97 games. That year was my first trip to Auburn. That game at Bama. I bought tickets outside the stadium before kickoff. 50 yard line in those crimson chairbacks. Point is, how quickly the support drops off when you lose. ...and kickoff is 1130am.

I went to all those Bama games. 96-01.
    97 in Tuscaloosa was sweet. I was sitting right in middle of Tide Pride section. Watching the corner MSU section celebrate was good. Got a lot of MSU hate that day and liked it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Jackie wasn't scared of any team, but he sure made Bama nervous every year. Probably the only MSU coach to do that.
    Mike Dubose was not exactly Bear Bryant or Nick Saban, my friend. The win in '96 against Stallings was a legitimately great win, but Jackie's other wins were against some mediocre to downright bad Bama teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Nope. The post new thread button is not showing up for me
    hmmm. good to know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    Mike Dubose was not exactly Bear Bryant or Nick Saban, my friend. The win in '96 against Stallings was a legitimately great win, but Jackie's other wins were against some mediocre to downright bad Bama teams.
    They were all legit wins.

vCash
    They were all legit wins.
    I certainly am never going to complain about beating Alabama, because in our history that is very rare. But three of those Bama teams Jackie beat went 4-7. 7-5, and 3-8, respectively. The two Bama teams that Croom beat both went 6-6 in the regular season. People talk about us being scared of them nowadays and not being scared of them when Jackie was around, and it's like comparing apples to bowling balls. Alabama from 1997 - 2007 has a lot more in common with modern day Tennessee and Nebraska than they do with modern day Alabama.

16 of the 18 wins against Bama in our history were against coaches not named Bryant or Saban. Those two coaches totally dominated us. Jackie Sherrill just so happened to be at MSU in the window of time between Bryant and Saban, when Bama was largely not as successful as they were under the Bear or as they are now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    hmmm. good to know.
    Same for me.