Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monday Morning Thoughts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Dont be surprised when Cross and Polk declare for the draft in April
    I can see Cross for sure, but I think Polk comes back for 1 more. He's just now getting his name on the radar

Helps that Rogers is back for 3 more years. Polk would be a late pick this year but possibly a top 4 rounder by coming back
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Dont be surprised when Cross and Polk declare for the draft in April
    That'd be an awesome recruiting tool going forward, especially Polk! We gotta start having some NFL receivers to sell to recruits!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    This team shouldn't be judged on bama game. We're gonna be smoked.

This team should be judged on Kentucky. Kentucky will stick with the zone, so it'll be a great test for our offense. Kentucky will run it, so it's a good matchup for our defense. That game is our midsession progress report
    Let's heat Vandy first. I'm taking nothing for granted with leach. He can lose to anybody or beat anybody

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Sunday and Monday mornings are a lot better when you get a win. After the emotional roller coaster that was Saturday night I went back and watched the game yesterday afternoon.

1. Will is continually improving in this offense each and every week. He's going to continue to improve next year and depending on what we get back, next year could be a BIG year for this offense.

2. Marks could be a star. He's been bit by the injury bug the last couple of games but he's continued to go out there and grind for us. If we could find a way to get him 10-15 carries a game I really believe he can take that next step and be what Ealy is for OM.

3. Makai Polk. That's it. This kid is special.

4. We need to break down on sacks. I don't know how many sacks we've missed the last two weeks by flying in the backfield and the QB just side stepping to step up in the pocket and make the throw.

5. Arnett's D was a little bend but don't break this weekend and that was ok because of Calzada. They really gassed us at times between the 20s but when the field shortened up we really focused on the run and made Calzada beat us.....which he can't do.

6. We need to get Ruiz back ASAP.

7. Christian Ford and Austin Williams might be our two best possession receivers. They're not breaking any big gains after the catch, but they're going to come down with the ball.

8. We need to continue to find ways to get Tulu the ball. We also need to find ways to get the ball in the hands of Walley and Calvin. Those guys have breakaway speed and if you get them in open field they're going to make people miss.

9. The O Line is vastly improved and Mason Miller deserves a lot of credit for that. They still need to cut down on the mental mistakes, but they are improving each week.

10. Leach owns the Aggies.
    Thank you on #4! I coached youth football for 4 years and we worked on breaking down to make open field tackles every day (called it "buzzing" our feet). Keep them in front of you and make the play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Let's heat Vandy first. I'm taking nothing for granted with leach. He can lose to anybody or beat anybody
    Lol, we ain't losing to vandy. If we do, I want him gone. Vandy is as bad an sec team as I've saw

vCash
    Gotcha. The early drives are the ones I'll be interested in. Once they pull ahead by 20 points or so, I take nothing from those

ETA... I think we should play bama the exact same way kiffin did with the 4th downs. There's zero chance we beat them in a normally played game. If we hit 4 4th downs though, maybe lightning strikes. Who cares if we lose 55-7 instead of 38-13?
    If we're at the 5 and fourth and goal on an opening drive that took half the first quarter, we better take the 3.
    Can't afford to not get points there. That deflated OM.

Also, I don't think Bama will be able to run on us as well as they did OM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by was21 View Post
    Agreed...that was actually a smart move by Kiffin on the fourth downs even though a lot of folks have been critical of it.
    The one deep in their own territory was a bad call. I think the other ones were all the right call or at least not worse than kicking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Sunday and Monday mornings are a lot better when you get a win. After the emotional roller coaster that was Saturday night I went back and watched the game yesterday afternoon.

1. Will is continually improving in this offense each and every week. He's going to continue to improve next year and depending on what we get back, next year could be a BIG year for this offense.

2. Marks could be a star. He's been bit by the injury bug the last couple of games but he's continued to go out there and grind for us. If we could find a way to get him 10-15 carries a game I really believe he can take that next step and be what Ealy is for OM.

3. Makai Polk. That's it. This kid is special.

4. We need to break down on sacks. I don't know how many sacks we've missed the last two weeks by flying in the backfield and the QB just side stepping to step up in the pocket and make the throw.

5. Arnett's D was a little bend but don't break this weekend and that was ok because of Calzada. They really gassed us at times between the 20s but when the field shortened up we really focused on the run and made Calzada beat us.....which he can't do.

6. We need to get Ruiz back ASAP.

7. Christian Ford and Austin Williams might be our two best possession receivers. They're not breaking any big gains after the catch, but they're going to come down with the ball.

8. We need to continue to find ways to get Tulu the ball. We also need to find ways to get the ball in the hands of Walley and Calvin. Those guys have breakaway speed and if you get them in open field they're going to make people miss.

9. The O Line is vastly improved and Mason Miller deserves a lot of credit for that. They still need to cut down on the mental mistakes, but they are improving each week.

10. Leach owns the Aggies.
    I'd add:

11. This is the first game that made me think Heath might actually live up to his potential before he leaves. He's obviously had the physical talent, but I just didn't think he was ever going to really take advantage of it. The catch he made going out of bounds in the end zone was great. Out of bounds, but still did a great job of going up over the defender and getting it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    The one deep in their own territory was a bad call. I think the other ones were all the right call or at least not worse than kicking.
    If I were the coach facing bama with a much lesser team (like most everyone), I'd go for on 4th down every time we were beyond our own 40 and less than 5 to go. If you go in with this mindset, you can call plays on 3rd down to set up manageable 4th's

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripp McNeely View Post
    That'd be an awesome recruiting tool going forward, especially Polk! We gotta start having some NFL receivers to sell to recruits!
    Totally agree
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I'd add:

11. This is the first game that made me think Heath might actually live up to his potential before he leaves. He's obviously had the physical talent, but I just didn't think he was ever going to really take advantage of it. The catch he made going out of bounds in the end zone was great. Out of bounds, but still did a great job of going up over the defender and getting it.
    Agreed! I really hope whatever needs to click in his head over the next two weeks does. Because he could be a force if he wanted to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripp McNeely View Post
    We gotta start having some NFL receivers to sell to recruits!
    THIS........ Your highly recruited receivers want a coach who can develop them to be the best that they can be at the next level. They also want proof (by players in the NFL) to demonstrate this. I hate to say it but OM has been able to show it, and we can't yet.
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 10-04-2021 at 05:52 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I can see Cross for sure, but I think Polk comes back for 1 more. He's just now getting his name on the radar
    Scouts already know who Polk is. Will depend what kind of feedback he gets after the season. He is on pace to have 100 catches and that will give him plenty of attention
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    I still think you forfeit the game, allow our players another week to get healed up and then focus on winning the rest of them. I don't like forfeiting, but it does give us the best shot to stay healthy and work for 3 weeks on fundamentals and prep for the games we really need to win. KY and Ark.
    Tell the SEC it's for the Marc Curles screw job at Memphis. Maybe they'll start calling out games better after we cost them a bunch of money.**

vCash
    Gotcha. The early drives are the ones I'll be interested in. Once they pull ahead by 20 points or so, I take nothing from those

ETA... I think we should play bama the exact same way kiffin did with the 4th downs. There's zero chance we beat them in a normally played game. If we hit 4 4th downs though, maybe lightning strikes. Who cares if we lose 55-7 instead of 38-13?
    What?? Is that your subtle way of defending the coach of your "2nd" favorite team? A couple were definitely justified, but going for it on your own 30 down by 2 scores?!? 17'n stupid, arrogant or just plain quitting. Is Kiffen your newest man-crush? Awww...