Thread: OT: Need new router

vCash

OT: Need new router

Looks like my Apple Airport Extreme is dying. It's been good for several years - it's probably older than I think.

What's a good Wifi router to buy? I don't want a mesh system, just a single Wifi router. House is 3000 sq ft, two story, and the main computer where the router will be is upstairs. I do most of my "work" downstairs on my laptop.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Looks like my Apple Airport Extreme is dying. It's been good for several years - it's probably older than I think.

What's a good Wifi router to buy? I don't want a mesh system, just a single Wifi router. House is 3000 sq ft, two story, and the main computer where the router will be is upstairs. I do most of my "work" downstairs on my laptop.
    I bought this router recently. It's not the most expensive out there, but I think you get serious bang for your bucks. Very fast, and coverage is very good.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC230...3277747&sr=8-3
    Last edited by ArrowDawg; 10-03-2021 at 11:16 AM.

vCash
    I bought a Motorola MG7700 back in January. Has worked great, including streaming TV, gaming, work VPN, general web surfing.

vCash
    Get an AX11000 router and keep it downstairs (preferably middle of the house without any metal or obstructions nearby). Has serious power to spread the waves for the entire house.

vCash
    Depending on your speed and size of your house, a nest system might be best

vCash
    Stay away from Linksys (I used to like them) as their firmware is developed in China(has been for a few years) - back doors.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    We've had great luck with a Google Wifi router. It can be used in a mesh system or as a single unit. We've got one and it covers the 2,800' house (and a small chunk of the yard in front and back) pretty well. I can't think of any hiccups in over two years of use. Most user-friendly router I've ever used, too.

vCash
    I just purchased an Orbi from Netgear. It's pricier than a lot of other options but it's been great so far. The model I bought covers 5000 sq. ft.

2nd Half Playcaller
    vCash
    ASUS has the best routers if you have the money to spend.