Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunday Morning QB- Everything Went Right Edition

vCash

Sunday Morning QB- Everything Went Right Edition

1. Didnt get fancy with the food on such a good football day. Ribeye, sauteed green beans, and baked okra.

2. Should have been a profitable weekend for you guys that bet on college football. Easy wins on Thursday night. BYU has been money this year. Bama and State were obvious picks to me all week with the teasers. Kept saying I didnt think Calzone could put up more than 23 on us and knew all it would take to cover was 10 points by us. Knew Bama would expose Lame and that D. Felt great about teasing Kentucky at home to plus 14.5. Plus some others. Only ND and WV kept it from being a complete celebration weekend.

3. I sat here watching the Bama/Mississippi game as Lame kept going for it on 4th down. It got to the point I felt like the producer in the truck from the movie Tin Cup- "Will somebody tell this idiot he doesn't have to hit from there". Then I got the same feeling again during our game against A&M. Team after team has followed the blueprint against our offense turning it into the Airbone. So what did Elko do? **** that- I'm going to show you how I do it.

The 1st Q started out with them stemming- having the LB's walked up trying to give Rogers a false look. Then they would drop at the snap or right before. The problem with that was that they werent getting back into their zones quick enough doing that- didnt all game. Then that morphed into some zone blitz- and that accomplished nothing for them. So on the 3rd as we were moving in their territory again- he finally went to the 3-8. So what happened- drive stalled and we missed the FG. He stayed in it on the next drive- what happened? 5 plays and punt. At that point I began to worry it may be tough sledding the rest of the game. But fear not- Elko had had enough defensive success so he had to start coaching again. He went to man under- single high which led to a 5 play TD drive. TV replay had a great shot of Calvin beating his man down the seam and single high safety unable to get there.

I love when hardheaded coaches get what they deserve. Bo Pellini last year. Elko this year. We will see who is next.

4. Best game all year for the Airbone. Once again we ran over 20 more plays than our opponent. Great job of beating A&M to their drops and we got more balls up the field. RB catches were down to 13 this week. We almost scored again on the pick route we run alot inside the 20 vs man to the RB but Marks was pushed OOB and we ended up kicking the FG. We have got to find some better to do in the RZ.

5. Even though we gave up 3 sacks technically- the OL is playing good ball. On the first one we had all day to throw. Their next test will be their toughest all year. Hopefully we will be good and healthy for it.

6. Very surprised A&M was able to average 5 per carry against the D. Especially with them starting 2 true freshman on the OL. But they got physical with us at times. I thought Jett played pretty well on his run fits. He'll never be an AA in pass coverage but is becoming a pretty good LB against the run.

7. We got some pressure on Calzone when we needed at some crucial times. Jimbo protected him and they only threw 20 passes. Kind of expected that. They had a really good playcall on the bootleg to start the game and Calzone turned that into a pick by us. Peters seemed to be where he needed to be much more this week. Of course, that should be expected against a much more conservative offense like A&M is running currently.

8. Good win- thats the bottom line. On the road. The Airbone rolled. A&M has more SEC losses coming their way. Jimbo has a little cred built up after last season and now losing his QB- but the expectations will be there for him in 2022. Orgeron losing last night did him no favors either. With them gathering info to try and fire him for cause to save some money- he is giving those on the fence about it more reason to join the other side.

9. Myself and a few other MSU Mafia members had been waiting all Summer and Fall for yesterday. All the Mississippi Rebel hype this offseason. All the hype this past week for a game Vegas set at a 2 TD spread. We knew it would crash. Saban doesnt have all these analysts for no reason. They have been studying the OM offense for months. You knew they would be ready and play better against it. Talent that's coach well and motivated is hard to beat. It's always so much fun watching those douchebags get all pumped up- poking that chest out- and to watch it all come crashing down again on top of them. Just pisses me off every year when they make me have to root for Bama. I feel like I should have a cousin watching that game with me every year.

10. Got to find a way to tweak college football a little. Were about to see Bama/Georgia play for the SEC title the first Sat in December and then they will turn around and play again a month later for the NC. Not sure Georgia has the QB to pull it off- but they certainly have the D.

Hail State
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Dipshit

vCash
    Everything went right?
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Good post C34. The info was better than title.

Very much agree with the last part about UGA & Bama. The sport needs a tweaking

vCash
    The vast majority of snaps they only brought 3 or 4 guys. I do agree that he tried some different looks but for the most part it was the same thing we have gotten from everyone else. Theres a reason we dont even watch much film of these teams before they play us. We watch last years film against us or someone who runs what we do. They did the same thing they did last year, and that is from the kid who played it and didnt and watch it from the couch.

Defensively Arnett has to help the safeties and get them out of situations they cant do more. He is asking guys who arent great cover guys to win one on one on too many 3rd downs. We do not have a good cover safety on the roster. I would be fine putting Richardson or somebody else who can cover some at S just for those situations. We misfit a lot of zones especially cutbacks all night long. We also struggled to tackle that hasnt been an issue all year but it def was last night. We were tackling way too high and it beat us. We have a lot to fix defensively and I think some of it is scheme. We move around just about too much and it hurts us on our fits. I thought the DL was pretty good our LBs and Safeties did not help us at all. Arnett is very predictable right now and he has a big problem vs trips sets. He has got to do something other than 0 coverage and bringing pressure bc they scored twice off it. Lsu did, Memphis did. Now we have gotten some sacks and we did have some good moments. The safety clinched the game. But it wasnt anything crazy just a DL twist that got home. I think he is being a little too cute rn.

Special teams are an absolute disaster

vCash
    Agree with point about improvement in the red zone. I think being able to run the ball in the red zone is the key. Thats how this offense was successful in red zone at wazzu and tech.

vCash
    They played more Man/Under than we have seen this season. You could see it pretty easily.

Also- you know as well as I do getting your pass drops to your zone is a lot easier from 5 yards off the ball than from 1 yard off the ball where you are having to open your hips and sprint back to your zone. Their LB’s weren’t able to redirect or adjust to our WR’s. Not to mention when you drop from 5- you can keep your eyes on what happening in front of you much more easily. They were sprinting back from 1 yards with their head turned back and forth unable to read what was going on

Just a very stupid strategy
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I bet 125 years ago, if you had been around you would have all types of nicknames for the Horseless Carriage and insisted the old way of wagons and horses was "what we do".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    They played more Man/Under than we have seen this season. You could see it pretty easily.

Also- you know as well as I do getting your pass drops to your zone is a lot easier from 5 yards off the ball than from 1 yard off the ball where you are having to open your hips and sprint back to your zone. Their LB’s weren’t able to redirect or adjust to our WR’s. Not to mention when you drop from 5- you can keep your eyes on what happening in front of you much more easily. They were sprinting back from 1 yards with their head turned back and forth unable to read what was going on

Sure they showed and dropped some but you are acting like it was every single play. We beat the drop 8 enough to win the game. 24 and 85 are the drop 8 beaters. They are going to get open and catch the ball. We threw perimeter game and handed it off to get them out of it. Its ok to admit it. It was fitting that we ran the ball to end the game. We even ran speed option. Red zone is still a struggle for Hs and we are very very predictable down there. But nobody all year has kept us bottled up the entire game. NC State did the best job of it and that win is going to look really good by the end of the year. I still am not in love with it but the kids play hard and they deserve a win. I personally would never marry myself to the pure air raid but Leach does and he wins. It wont be the last win either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Sure they showed and dropped some but you are acting like it was every single play. We beat the drop 8 enough to win the game. 24 and 85 are the drop 8 beaters. They are going to get open and catch the ball. We threw perimeter game and handed it off to get them out of it. Its ok to admit it. It was fitting that we ran the ball to end the game. We even ran speed option. Red zone is still a struggle for Hs and we are very very predictable down there. But nobody all year has kept us bottled up the entire game. NC State did the best job of it and that win is going to look really good by the end of the year. I still am not in love with it but the kids play hard and they deserve a win. I personally would never marry myself to the pure air raid but Leach does and he wins. It wont be the last win either.
    SEC Network guys also mentioned how the Aggie DL looked gassed from chasing sideline to sideline on plays, an all those 5 yard plays down the field for 8 minutes was wearing them down. I think they had to try some different looks, as you said, because we were wearing them out in their zone D.
    This Will Rogers , with these receivers, if playing last year would have busted the zone on Kentucky and Arkansas as well.
    Last edited by Santiago; 10-03-2021 at 10:30 AM.

vCash
    And I will add this, we wont see a more talented DL all year than what we saw last night. They are loaded

vCash

Also- you know as well as I do getting your pass drops to your zone is a lot easier from 5 yards off the ball than from 1 yard off the ball where you are having to open your hips and sprint back to your zone. Their LB?s weren?t able to redirect or adjust to our WR?s. Not to mention when you drop from 5- you can keep your eyes on what happening in front of you much more easily. They were sprinting back from 1 yards with their head turned back and forth unable to read what was going on

You're oversimplifying it at this point in order to hold on to your narrative. None of these coaches are stupid, you're not seeing things they aren't. If it was as simple as primarily dropping 8 in zone to stall our offense when executing adequately, they'd do it. The fact that A&M didn't last night means it's not, period.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    And I will add this, we wont see a more talented DL all year than what we saw last night. They are loaded
    Bama's is better. No doubt. Auburn's may be better.
    Stats don't tell the entire story. Our OLine handled them yesterday, I doubt we do against the two alabama teams.
    Downvotes_Hype

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    I agree with Coach that it was stupid for their DC to do what he did. But I also like that we exploited it immediately and took advantage. We deserve credit for that.

vCash
    I have never seen C34 praise or talk up any sports team of Mississippi State even when Mullen was here. He was always negative about everything. Literally, every damn sport. Either he hates the coach or a player and will call out names on everyone. Do you ever get tired of being so negative all the time?

vCash

Wouldn’t we run it more if they were 5 yards off?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    I have never seen C34 praise or talk up any sports team of Mississippi State even when Mullen was here. He was always negative about everything. Literally, every damn sport. Either he hates the coach or a player and will call out names on everyone. Do you ever get tired of being so negative all the time?
    That’s just the coach in him. I do it as well.

Don’t take it as much as being negative as always looking for ways to improve.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Bama's is better. No doubt. Auburn's may be better.
    Stats don't tell the entire story. Our OLine handled them yesterday, I doubt we do against the two alabama teams.
    If they are it wont be by much

vCash
    Wrong.

Elko changed it up because Will was shredding the drop 8.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    That’s just the coach in him. I do it as well.

Don’t take it as much as being negative as always looking for ways to improve.
    But 34 is acting like we didnt beat the drop 8. We did. And have before. Only reason we didnt win the last 2 was our fault. LSU and Memphis did it all game