Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Fall Baseball News?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    With Sims to friday nights, who will fill his role from last year? Or will it be closer by committee?
    The plan is to make him a starter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Sims has earned that chance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I dont think Stinnett has the stones to close. You know mentality goes a long way in that job.
    Agree
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I don't know Johnson got a ton of big outs last year against some elite teams and hitters and he's got ice water in his veins and big stones. He definitely has the mentality to close.
    He just doesn't have the stuff IMO. Need better on the backend

I would count out Fristoe either. If we find other starters, he could be 98 with a slider back there.

vCash
    I know that, hence the "move to Friday night" part. I was just asking who would fill the closer role now.

vCash
    I don’t see Johnson as a closer. How has Tepper looked so far? He has good stuff but command was not quite there last year, I believe.

If Sims starts all year and we don’t find a reliable closer, move Sims back to closer for the post season. He will have had the season to prove himself to scouts and figuring out the front end of the game will be easier than trying to close by committee.

vCash
    Tepper and Tullar are both vying for the Sunday starter spot. I think both guys are going to have really big years for us.

Cade Smith has Saturday locked up and looks to be taking really big strides with the off speed stuff. I'm sure basedog can elaborate more.

As far as closers go, Walker is going to be given a chance. Fox is really high on him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trob115 View Post
    Tepper and Tullar are both vying for the Sunday starter spot. I think both guys are going to have really big years for us.

Cade Smith has Saturday locked up and looks to be taking really big strides with the off speed stuff. I'm sure basedog can elaborate more.

As far as closers go, Walker is going to be given a chance. Fox is really high on him.
    I don't see either of those starting on Sunday.

Fristoe quit? LOL. Why not mention him?

Walling will be good. Give it time. He's better than both Tepper & Tullar, who I don't think will pitch much

vCash
    Fristoe has major major issues between the ears. He's working with a psychologist but I wouldn't expect him to contribute too much early on. He hasn't thrown a pitch since arriving back on campus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trob115 View Post

Unfortunately I want be making any post or comments concerning Cade. It's a family issue.
    I will say this last thing, he has always been a strike thrower and can and will throw strikes pretty consist with his breaking stuff. He is a great kid!!! Just saying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I would count out Fristoe either. If we find other starters, he could be 98 with a slider back there.
    I’ve thought about this as well. He certainly has the mentality to be that guy also. If he progresses as he should- could see him taking that job. I think we have the starters to allow it
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    He just doesn't have the stuff IMO. Need better on the backend

Naw he got us out of some high leverage situations a ton last year. Yeah he doesn't have the natural stuff of some our other guys but he's got 2 nasty pitches and he has bulldog mentality. I'm not saying he will
    Be this closer I'm saying I think he could do a very good job.

ETA I've watched Will Smith close for the Braves all year with some of the worst stuff in baseball lol

vCash
    Naw he got us out of some high leverage situations a ton last year. Yeah he doesn't have the natural stuff of some our other guys but he's got 2 nasty pitches and he has bulldog mentality. I'm not saying he will
    Be this closer I'm saying I think he could do a very good job.

ETA I've watched Will Smith close for the Braves all year with some of the worst stuff in baseball lol
    Could see him being the closer early while someone else emerges. I'd be scared to death to go into regionals & the CWS with him as our closer

vCash
    Could see him being the closer early while someone else emerges. I'd be scared to death to go into regionals & the CWS with him as our closer
    I think Landon spoiled us. Do you not remember some of the big innings Preston put in for us in the regionals and cws? I would feel very confident with him out there. I mean sure would love somebody throwing 96-98 obviously.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I know that, hence the "move to Friday night" part. I was just asking who would fill the closer role now.
    My bad

vCash
    I don't see either of those starting on Sunday.

Fristoe quit? LOL. Why not mention him?

Walling will be good. Give it time. He's better than both Tepper & Tullar, who I don't think will pitch much
    Tepper has really good stuff. And you've never seen walking pitch. .... good grief.

vCash
    Tepper has really good stuff. And you've never seen walking pitch. .... good grief.
    Tepper has nasty nasty stuff. Love watching him pitch, he's got electric stuff. Needs more command but he could be a great one!

vCash
    I've seen both. Walling is significantly better when he's right

vCash
    Tepper has nasty nasty stuff. Love watching him pitch, he's got electric stuff. Needs more command but he could be a great one!
    Yeah, Tepper was throwing mid 90’s with a nasty breaking ball. Basedog or Commerce or anyone else know why he was getting hit last year? Does his fastball lack spin/movement or was he letting the ball get out over the plate (command)?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    Yeah, Tepper was throwing mid 90?s with a nasty breaking ball. Basedog or Commerce or anyone else know why he was getting hit last year? Does his fastball lack spin/movement or was he letting the ball get out over the plate (command)?
    He also has a nasty change up. Mikeys problem was command. If he gets command down with his stuff he's gonna be tough. Imo